Hello everyone,

I will be moving to Detroit from Stockholm, Sweden next April for a job at the U.S. branch of the engineering company I work at. I am very excited to be moving to a great American city such as Detroit and was wanting to see if people on this forum had any tips for me, especially on where to live. I will be working downtown and am accustomed to city living, so I would like to find a residential neighborhood within cycling distance of work. Also, i am married and have two elementary school age boys [[5 and 7), so if there is an excellent public [[not private) school is close enough for them to walk or cycle to that would be preferable too. One reason we want to live in the city rather than the suburbs [[which I understand are nice) is to be close to Detroit's city amenities, so if the neighborhood has shops and cafes to walk to that would be very good.

Also, I am told that some parts of Detroit are some high in crime, so are there any neighborhoods I should avoid?

Any other tips you could provide as I organize my move would be appreciated. This will be my first time in the Midwest united states and I am looking forward to it very much!

Zeyrek