Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    And the church with the house in the background:

Attachment 11229
    Interestingly, it looks like the same building from 1883, slightly reconfigured with some small additions. I didn't expect that. I remember the building from the time I spent around that neighborhood when I was a teenager, but I never realized it was that old.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    Honestly, I am blown away. Thank you all so much for your efforts! Somehow, from the annals of history, you seem to have found a picture of my great-great-great grandfathers house, still standing in the year I was born! Amazing! My family will be thrilled by this development, when I share it with them! I am so glad that I posted my inquiry and so thankful that you all were able to assist. Please let me know if there is ever anything I can do in return!
    The forum at is best. When these threads pop up I always wonder who will hit it out of park first, MikeM or Hornwrecker.

Thanks to everyone, Lowell included, for making this thread possible.

On a related note, I was telling a colleague about this thread and they said that they seemed to recall a small museum in the area that had pictures and artifacts from the neighborhood before the stadiums were built. Anyone familiar with this place or know if it still exists?

Just amazing stuff guys. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    The forum at is best. When these threads pop up I always wonder who will hit it out of park first, MikeM or Hornwrecker.
    Well, thank EastsideAl; I'm semi-retired. We just reached for the same resources at the same time and Al has the superior personal knowledge.

Finding a picture of that house was one-in-a-million chance. That it was still there as late as it was, and that the students who took the photos for that survey happened to cover that street when they did, seems like pure luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I'm with you on this, Lowell, those two are the greatest! Eastside Al, too!

Stromberg2

I'd like to add a bit to EastsideAl's history of St. Matthew's Church. The parish was founded by and served the small elite community of Detroit's upper middle class blacks. It was the spiritual home of the majority of The Cultured Colored 40, actually 51 families and individuals who comprised the black upper class in 19th century Detroit.

If you have a further interest in the history of St. Matthew's and it's role in the cultural and spiritual history of Detroit, I'd recommend Before the Ghetto: Black Detroit in the 19th Century by David Katzman [[1973).

Regarding the original picture of 187 Elizabeth Street: in doing further research, it appears that this house was occupied for some time as the House of Providence, caring for poor women and children. One of our family's had a relative who died there as a child in 1901. She had tuberculosis. Does anyone know if there are records from the House of Providence that can be accessed? There were other children in the same family.

The House of Providence eventually became Providence Hospital, so I would imagine any records would be in Southfield or at a facility under their control.

Here is what Silas Farmer has to say in 1889:

House of Providence This home for destitute and abandoned children and lying in hospital for unfortunate and destitute females is conducted by the Sisters of Charity with Sister Mary Stella in charge It was organized in 1869 and incorporated in 1872 It cares for children until they are six years of age after which time they are given for adoption or transferred to an orphan asylum It has in its care a yearly average of one hundred and ten children and seventy women The home opened in August 1869 was originally situated on Fourteenth Avenue between Dalzelle and Marantette Streets On March 24 1876 it was moved to the Old Beaubien homestead on the northwest corner of St Antoine and Elizabeth Streets The house is maintained by sums paid for board and by voluntary donations The cost of maintenance including probable value of contributions of food is about $4,000 per year The property is worth $20,000
    Link:
    http://books.google.com/books?id=_Od...idence&f=false

In the early 1900's they moved up to West Grand blvd at 14th street, I think, where they expanded their foundling and maternity care. In 1960 they needed to expand again, and moved to Southfield. The castle-like complex was demoed in mid to early 1960's.

An interesting post script to this thread - I recently followed Paul Sewyckz's link to the Hath Trust and found out that my great-great-great grandfather Ferdinand Reblin, of whom this thread has mostly been about, was a member of the building committee that oversaw construction of the Oddfellows hall on Randolph. Interestingly enough, his son later worked for the Detroit Water Board, also on Randolph. Knowing these things about my family makes my drive up Randolph from Jefferson to work on Madison a whole different experience each morning.

If you haven't checked out the Hath Trust, its well worth your time. You can find the site and the info about the Oddfellows here.

Hi everyone...I went and tracked down the grave of Ferdinand Reblin, the original subject of this post. Its in Elmwood Cemetery. As it to be expected, it contains logos for the Odd Fellows and Free Masons, of which he was a member, but it also contains a third set of symbols I can't quite figure out. Maybe you all can help again. On top of his grave marker are the letters PA and a period...as in, PA. He was born in Europe and emmigrated to Detroit, without stopping in Pennsylvania...so, any ideas on what PA. could mean?

Thanks again,

1953 it must be thrilling to be able to trace your family back to your great great great grandfather. I have spent countless hours and travelled many miles trying to find out anything about my family beyond my great grand parents. There are so many different surnames as a result of slavery I have almost given up. I'm happy you have been able to uncover information about your family via DetroitYes!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    Hi everyone...I went and tracked down the grave of Ferdinand Reblin, the original subject of this post. Its in Elmwood Cemetery. As it to be expected, it contains logos for the Odd Fellows and Free Masons, of which he was a member, but it also contains a third set of symbols I can't quite figure out. Maybe you all can help again. On top of his grave marker are the letters PA and a period...as in, PA. He was born in Europe and emmigrated to Detroit, without stopping in Pennsylvania...so, any ideas on what PA. could mean?

Thanks again,

Possibly this:
    PA: Philanthropic Assembly
    http://saveagrave.net/symbolism

Burton has an early photo of St. Thomas' here: http://quod.lib.umich.edu/d/dpa1ic/x...ail;view=entry

And a block plan from my trusty 1896 Baist's Atlas that I keep open by my desk for moments such as this... Show's 180 directly adjacent to the church.

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 843
Size:  56.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Possibly this: PA - Philanthropic Assembly

http://saveagrave.net/symbolism
    I looked under "Societies" in the city directories, there wasn't a "Philanthropic Assembly". If the initials could possibly be "RA." there is a "Royal Arcanum" listed. In 1885 their Detroit Council No.47 met at 112 Elizabeth east. There was also a "Royal Adelphia" Society.

MidTownMS: Yes, it is quite thrilling. While I was at the grave, for example, I discovered the preceding generation is buried in the same lot, though in graves marked only "father," "mother," and "brother." I know looking for ancestors in light of slavery is extremely difficult, but I was heartened to see some shows on genealogy last year in which descendants of slaves were able to find out about their lineage through a variety of resources kept only on paper at the local level, mostly in the south. Hopefully, you will be able to avail yourself of some of these same resources.

southofblor: Thank you very much for the map. It confirms what we all suspected.

jcole: thanks for the acronym breakdown. I have searched for Philanthropic Assembly, and don't seem to find much reference to it. Any idea what it was?

Brock7: It sure looks like PA. Here is a picture of the top of the marker.

Name:  2012-10-16 Ferdinand Reblin 2.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  56.8 KB

The map shows something that is slightly unusual as well - the pink colouring indicates brick and the yellow wood frame. So this is indicating that the back portion of the house is built of masonry, and the front wood.

I wondered about that. Thanks!

Any chance giving a name of your distant relative? Or any other info? Maybe my grandmother your relative, stranger things have happened.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2