Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Default Thank a Veteran [[today and everyday)

In memory of my pops....Pfc. A.J.L. , WW2, Army Medical Corps. 1924-1973
    Last edited by Maof; November-11-11 at 11:19 AM.

Name:  hf30.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  43.3 KB
    Corporal Donald Nadeau USMC - WW2 Veteran
    This photo was taken in Washington at the WW2 Memorial back in 2008. He was on a day trip sponsored by Honor Flight. The lady in the orange was one of the volunteer guardians. What a great trip for Dad and 1400 other WW2 Vets! Thank you Dad, for your service!!

Veteran's Day was originally observed as Armistice Day, which commemorated the end of fighting between the Allies and Germany on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month in 1918.

Its name and intent was changed by Congress in 1954 to honor all of our country's veterans.

In recognition of all our veterans and especially my grandfather and the other men of the US Army's 339th Infantry Regiment, I'd like to refer you to my 2007 thread that told the story of why, even though Detroiters celebrated on the original Armistice Day, they saved their real rejoicing for July 4, 1919:

"Detroit's Own"

lit joe Guest

Very nice of you to remember and honor your grandfather.

John "Jack" O'Dowd, B-24 Gunner and Engineer on the "Paper Doll", 52+ missions, Ploesti, and others. Army Flying Cross with Oak Leaves, were done, Keating and John R. [[Key Lounge). [[Still there? ) Dad, I miss you, you were the man.
    Last edited by Bigb23; November-11-11 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    John "Jack" O'Dowd, B-24 Gunner and Engineer on the "Paper Doll", 52+ missions, Ploesti, and others. Army Flying Cross with Oak Leaves, were done, Keating and John R. [[Key Lounge). [[Still there? ) Dad, I miss you, you were the man.
    As a result of my 2007 thread about the "Polar Bears", Bigb23 and I collaborated to recognize his grandfather who also served with the 339th in North Russia!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    As a result of my 2007 thread about the "Polar Bears", Bigb23 and I collaborated to recognize his grandfather who also served with the
    339th in North Russia!
    And my Indian Ancester who was at the Battle of The Cauldren. One man stood at the edge of the cauldren and fired at the enemy. He was from Northport, Michigan, Payton Wolfe. They live.

This was the battle of the Cauldron as portrayed in the beginning of "Cold Mountain".