Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Default Need a good tri-county lock smith.....

For security lock replacement for a door and also to have a duplicate key made for recent used car purchase [[only have one electronic chic key and need a duplicate made for less than the dealership high rates!). Thanks!

If you're near downtown Detroit, Fred's locksmith on 2nd and MLK. You'll have to call to see if they can deal with the electronic car keys.

If it's a Ford and it has the RFID embedded key, you'll have to go to someone who has vehicle diagnostic tools. Just having the key cut won't let the new key start the car. You have to go through a sequence to register the key as valid with the car. You need the 2 original keys to register a third key into a Ford vehicle. Or you need to erase the original 2 registered keys from the car, Hence the need for vehicle diagnostic tools. It takes about a half hour to go through the sequences to erase the old keys. Only takes about 5 minutes to cut the key. The rest of the time is waiting for vehicle security delay times.

Not sure if this is an issue for other vehicles. [[I know Ford vehicles since I used to do vehicle software for Visteon. I also owned a bunch of Ford vehicles.)

Was in an ACE Hardware last week and I noticed a sign stating "electronic car keys duplicated." Don't know if that was just a local feature for that one store or if all ACE stores do the same, but it's worth a look-see.

The car is a Toyota which per what I've read requires just the master key then the sequencing as you suggest. There are even do-it-your-self instructions on how to set up the new cut key online but I don't want to try it on my own. Yet I don't want to pay the $150 the Toyota dealer wants to charge for an older car that happens to you use the chip you see in new cars.

I will check out Freds and Ace as I can at least bring in my own blank chip key which I did purchase online. The dealer want you to pay for their key set too. They will not cut or program a key you bring in....... Thus, how they make their money. Thanks.

Ace in my neighborhood also does them, considerably cheaper than the dealer. So they do it in Michigan too, Ray.