Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Football has been Joe Paterno's life and I'd almost go so far as to say it's his reason for living. He has put a toll on his body well past when most bodies can't handle it. He's put it above his family. And, sadly, as it turns out, he put it above even the well being of innocent children.

Football obviously meant everything to him and he took things way too far as a result. Now that he doesn't have football anymore, I seriously wonder if he'll lose the will to live and you hear about him just not waking up one morning.

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    I heard that on the radio. This is apparently going to get much, much worse.
    If these latest rumors turn out to be true, Penn State will have no choice but to shut the football program down.

If Penn State football out of the way this leads either Ohio State or Wisconsin to tie in first place in the leaders division. Let's see if the rumors are true.

What should happen but won't is that the PSU program should shut down for the rest of the year, hire a brand new coaching staff, make a one-time exception for players who want to transfer that they won't have to sit out a year and make a one-time exception to let the seniors who want to play [[ some may just go on to the NFL, or their careers) and don't want to transfer give them one additional year.

The reason I say this is because I believe its much much more than just a pedophile assist coach. This is institutional failure on a massive scale.

Agreed, but I don't see that happening due to contractural obligations with opposing schools. While outside forces could impose a nuclear death penalty, I doubt we'll see that come from the inside.

In the long term, I think you are correct for the betterment of the school and the NCAA, but there is so much money driving this train, I just don't see it coming to reality. The main point against blowing up the program will be the current team members. The monied interests [[read: espn, Big10 Network, ABC, CBS, et. al.) will have their talking heads singing the party line that the "kids didn't cause this!" "Think of the Kids, the kids."

Too bad they didn't think of the kids before.

On a personal note, this has really soured me on even looking forward to the upcoming Lions game. It really seems unimportant now.

Well I see one change they made with the interim coach. They stopped playing musical chairs with the local kid at QB [[R.Bolden- Orchard Lake St Mary's) and flat put him on the bench.
    I'm sure the kid will probably transfer now.

On second thought since I'm betting there will be a totally new staff.. from the equipment manager to the head coach next year he should tough it out.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to Mcquery. Who's going to hire this guy?
    He needs to get out front of this and start talking. If he comes out and says it's haunted him that he didn't do more I think a lot of people will forgive him.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    On a personal note, this has really soured me on even looking forward to the upcoming Lions game. It really seems unimportant now.
    I feel for you Brother gnome. I'm kind of stung the same way, but after seeing how the Penn State community came out and actually had a solemn moment in the middle of the field, wanting to move forward and doing the right thing- I know there's still some goodness in this world. Huge props to the Nebraska team for wanting to be a part of it too.

In perspective all of sports is chump change when it comes to individual lives being ruined, but if nothing else sports also gives us a small diversion into showing off the best of humanity too.

We'll all mourn and pray for the victims of this tragedy but one of the best remedies for getting over this pain is never forgetting, being vigilant, and living our lives to the fullest. If it so happens to have some college & NFL football in it, so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    I heard that on the radio. This is apparently going to get much, much worse.

And from the way this reads....[[warning graphic)...

http://www.scribd.com/doc/72061109/G...-Abuse-Scandal

Plenty of heads are going to roll....

It'll be interesting to see what happens to Mcquery. Who's going to hire this guy?
    It was said a few days ago, on a call in show, that the least this guy could have done instead of confronting his coach raping a ten year old, was to at least pull a fire alarm, which would stop the rape, and he could alert authority's who would show up.

This whole thing was messed up from the beginning.

I never could understand fanaticism toward college football. Don't get me wrong; I like to watch a game on occasion. But to go goofy like most alums do is beyond my comprehension. I ran into a guy at my 50-year high school reunion. He went to Michigan. He kept bragging how he has never missed a UM home game in 50 years. Big fucking deal.

I went to Wayne State. I think I saw one Tartars game. They lost.

Ravine Guest

Greatest post ever.

The Big 10 has removed the Paterno name from the League Trophy.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...rophy/related/

As a side point and for an interesting read, you may be interested in checking out the local Sate COllege newspaper. http://www.centredaily.com/They've done a pretty solid job reporting on this entire situation. At the time of this posting, they have not reported about the removal of the Paterno name, but for a local, small town paper they've really stepped up.

The interesting part of the paper has been the comments section. Obviously the freep isn't the only place where asshats reside.

bartock Guest

Gee, this asshole thinks he's innocent.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...w_mindset11411

Not sure if I hate him or his attorney more. So, it isn't criminal to take nude showers with little boys if you don't rape them, got it, you fuck.

Yes, I'm pretending like I'm talking to him.

What else do they have? His attorney probably figured they'd give it a shot.
    It was a hail Mary when you're down by 30 points. That interview went 20 yards and bounced off the back of a helmet. He might as well try another interview, he's basically a dead man walking anyways. Soon he'll be spending the rest of his life in the pedophile wing of the local prison.

Interesting that even prisoners have an absolute distain for pedos.
    It's too bad one of them didn't get wind of Sandusky's behavior instead of the so-called good people who had knowledge of it.

If I was a victim of this and heard the accused say he was innocent and it was a big missunderstanding I would be so pissed it would make me want to act.
    It looks like many more victims are surfacing now.

bartock Guest

Sorry to hear that, kenp. The one thing that I am absolutely certain of is that if something like this happened to one of my children, I'd be so full of rage that I'd totally lose my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    What else do they have? His attorney probably figured they'd give it a shot.
    It was a hail Mary when you're down by 30 points. That interview went 20 yards and bounced off the back of a helmet. He might as well try another interview, he's basically a dead man walking anyways. Soon he'll be spending the rest of his life in the pedophile wing of the local prison.

Interesting that even prisoners have an absolute distain for pedos.
    It's too bad one of them didn't get wind of Sandusky's behavior instead of the so-called good people who had knowledge of it.
    One of the lawyer/analyst on tv said Sandusky in his interview was giving us insight into what his defense strategy was going to be. The just horsing around theory.

Its really all they have and I don't know if that is going to fly.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    One of the lawyer/analyst on tv said Sandusky in his interview was giving us insight into what his defense strategy was going to be. The just horsing around theory.

Its really all they have and I don't know if that is going to fly.

How about the guilty but mentally ill defense? That at least is truthful. Nobody buys the "horseplay" garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    How about the guilty but mentally ill defense? That at least is truthful. Nobody buys the "horseplay" garbage.
    That puts you in a mental institution for the rest of your life, the name of the game is to go free.

I would think that the best way PSU is ever going to heal the harm caused is to establish a field of study devoted to this taboo subject.

If pedophilia is an mental illness, then it needs to be studied and understood. Currently, I am not aware of any institution, beside the prison system, that has a handle on this bit of weirdness, but if the headlines are any indication it is a problem within our society.

The whole catholic thing, the Boy Scouts, Little League ... even the recent spate of milfs on cougar patrol all speak to an issue that needs study.

With any illness, be it cancer or heart troubles, an entire industry has been built around finding a cure. If Sandusky is just the most recent poster boy for bad behavior we have to understand what caused him to be wired the way he is.

We can all remember that interview with Michael Jackson when he said there was nothing wrong with a grown man sleeping in the same bed with children. He seemed completely convinced that it was natural and beautiful. Beside the usual reaction that he was just a rich, talented weirdo; one must wonder how someone could get so fucked up.

Maybe if a major institution, like Penn State, would dedicate the resources to staff such a field of study, we as a society could begin to identify and find a cure.

PSU needs to get out front of this issue, way out front.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2