Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Almost forgot

If you are looking for surplus stuff the U of M property disposition usually has some interesting stuff. All kinds of old instruments and electronics. Not nearly as much cool stuff as they used to, but you might find a few gems here and there. A decade ago they were clearing their physics labs and had all sorts of awesome stuff - giant HeNe lasers, bell jars with vacuum bases, lab-grade microscopes and scales. They had a small cyclotron for $500, and by small I mean the size of a mid-size truck. While you're in AA check out the Reuse center, they sometimes have cool stuff there, too.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    Almost forgot

If you are looking for surplus stuff the U of M property disposition usually has some interesting stuff. All kinds of old instruments and electronics. Not nearly as much cool stuff as they used to, but you might find a few gems here and there. A decade ago they were clearing their physics labs and had all sorts of awesome stuff - giant HeNe lasers, bell jars with vacuum bases, lab-grade microscopes and scales. They had a small cyclotron for $500, and by small I mean the size of a mid-size truck. While you're in AA check out the Reuse center, they sometimes have cool stuff there, too.

Thanks...I went there a decade ago, but they mostly had old desks and tables at the time. I had heard they sell all sorts of cool stuff, but then met a guy who knew someone and always got an early peek and grabbed the really unique things. I guess this happens everywhere, when my mother worked at the Salvation Army, the main guy had been bribed to allow some to access the donations before anyone else touched them.

I stopped going to either...since the real treasures were scammed away already.

But it sounds like it was not too different than an old junkyard near the Burbank Airport that I went to a few times...that place got old stuff from the Jet Propulsion Labs and other Military/Industrial researchers in the valley. Lots of Sci-Fi film set designers would shop there, as well as prop people. But some of the aisles were scary...you knew you were only a sneeze away from an avalance of old electronics...LOL! It was called Apex or Aphex, something like that.

Cheers