Yikes! I'm getting into a small electronics project, amidst an ever-growing pile of slightly-broken hifi and video devices my clients were tossing to the curb, and would LOVE to know all of the real electronics supply houses all over town. I'm also finally getting to the experimental stage of all those Tesla-technology dreams I had five years ago.

I used to frequent one on Van Born east of Telegraph with the original name of Tel-Van...where the old guy had the greatest collection of TV antennae and old tubes. He closed up shop years ago.

Norwest in Livonia closed long ago. I need to get out to RS Electronics, haven't been there in ages, but they have a neat Sound Pressure Meter with warning lights I'd LOVE to put in the live music venues I frequent.

Did business with Electronic Connections on Ford Road in west Westland for a long time, but the owner's wife seriously pissed me off the last time I was through...and I will forever boycott them because of it. Had to do with them selling me defective parts that they refused to take responsibility for...please don't get into discussion about them. I mention 'em only because they will never be on any list of suggested businesses for me.

Where are the electronics equivalents of Brooks Lumber, Third Avenue Hardware, and Busy Bee? Please don't tell me Radio Shack, either. They haven't been truly useful for decades...unless you want to buy toys.

Now that I'm on the eastside, I'm hoping there are a few lingering ones nearby.

When I was last in Chicagoland, I found exactly ONE worth the drive when a client's video projector failed due an old transistor crapping out.

Any tube stashes would be greatly appreciated. The Tesla stuff works better with non-silicon parts. May even be making my own inductor coils and capacitors...

Cheers!
John