Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I think they got it right. The Book Tower is about 3 times as tall as the book building to the peak of the roof. I think it's spot on and that the new tower is just so huge it's hard to believe. Go over to skyscraperpage.com and type detroit into the diagram box

Also the current tower is 38 floors, if that was supposed to be 81 it should be about twice as tall and that is what it looks like to me.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    The nursing ministry and clothing pantry has moved to the chancery building attached to St. Aloysius. It moved into a space where the Catholic Book Store was located before its move to 23305 Ford Road in Dearborn.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20111107/...#ixzz1d91YSpN5

I do know, having worked for the AoD that twhatever belongs to St. Aloysius belongs to the archdiocese. But parishes, even parishes sharing a building with the AoD have their own autonomy and parish rights as outlined in canon law.

Located in the former bookstore are the parish offices as well as the base of the nursing ministry though much of the nursing ministry is intended to be continued in the community as opposed to just at this location. The food and clothing outreach will be carried out through a street ministry using bicycles and carts and volunteers on foot. The parish is grieving the loss of its gathering spaces for the homeless, seniors and parishioners. Despite these losses, the parish is a thoughtful, vibrant, diverse, and growing community with a commitment to social justice.

While I'm on my St. Al's commercial...the church has a rich history of serving the downtown community. There are planned musical recitals throughout the year. The interior is beautiful and eclectic with the center cut out so that the church below is visible. St. Al's serves as another place of welcome for visitors to Detroit each week from downtown hotels with many Catholics seeking out a church to meet their Sunday obligation even while traveling.

With regards to the building that was sold, I hope that the circular wooden carvings and other historic features in the building will be preserved if the building is to be demolished.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    It's hard to tell, the postcard doesn't look too accurate with the proportions. Look how short and fat Book Tower is, and you can't even see how wide it is because the unbuilt tower covers part of it up.

Looking at it though, yeah it looks like the shorter wider part of the unbuilt tower might have taken up the entire depth of the block, but I think everything else shown is as it was built, just not drawn accurately.
    It is not all that uncommon for "artistic license" to come into play for postcards that are based on just artwork... as opposed to colorized photography, where the picture cannot lie... except in shades of color....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2