Looking for proactive people to build the Lights of Detroit community and database...

The brainzap for Lights of Detroit hit me in July 2011 when I was reading the NY Times article “Detroit Pushes Back with Young Muscles”. I saw the possibility of a website that would build pride and convey inspiration while providing an easy user-friendly way to access the fabulous resources of Detroit. The vision of Lights of Detroit is to connect and bring awareness to all of the great things happening within the city limits of Detroit right now: renovations, development, artists, musicians, businesses, gardens, entrepreneurs, resources, etc.

The image that immediately flashed into my mind was a stylized tourist map of Detroit, with key landmark building icons. It was dusk, with a sunset in the distance. The City was alive with different hues of glowing spots of light – each light signifying someone who is consciously making a difference. The map was interactive – zoom in and out, hover over a Light for the name, click for a popup window with information and links.

I had to set the project aside for a little bit, and I'm ready to go full steam now.

I'm looking for anyone and everyone who wants to get involved...