Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

If they wanted us to drive safe speeds, they'd do as the CHiPs do...drive the speed limit themselves. Be seen driving safely. I've never seen speed control work like it does on California highways.

I believe Royce has it right...on a downhill with acceleration due to gravity it is as likely for the normal driver to miss being above the limit, just like those instances you mention, Wesley. You don't need several cars waiting...but that makes it more obvious. This is unreasonable enforcement, Redford has made a TON of money off of those driving on Telegraph for many years. Dearborn Heights, too.

Generations have had a ton of fun drag racing up and down that strip, then getting away from the boys in blue...so perhaps this unusual enforcement is merely a reaction to that...they don't call it Blood & Guts Highway for no reason, either. Some terrible accidents happen because of the poor planning and execution of that 8-lane boulevard with heavy retail on both sides.

Yuck...

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    If they wanted us to drive safe speeds, they'd do as the CHiPs do...drive the speed limit themselves. Be seen driving safely. I've never seen speed control work like it does on California highways....
    That would be far more effective than 'traps', I agree.

So I'd suggest 1) a state highway patrol, and 2) a mechanism to argue against unreasonable speed limits. I don't mean too low -- but for example sudden drops w/o notice, especially as Royce suggests, at the bottom of hills. We all want to reduce gas consumption, no?