Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Michigan does have 3 tolled roads:

1. Mackinaw Bridge
    2. Blue Water Bridge
    3. International Bridge

This is the first I have heard of an actual single authority. Both the international and Mackinac have authorities. It appears they were planning turnpikes that never happened: The only thing I could find online was case law. It appears that the archives [[at the State Museum), has historical records.
    http://174.123.24.242/leagle/xmlResu...WAR1-1950-1985

I wonder how much Detroit and Michigan would be different with toll roads? For example, would people avoid them forcing more traffic onto the arterials and transit? In many places with tolls [[Chicago, LA), it does not seem to make much of a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Michigan does have 3 tolled roads:

1. Mackinaw Bridge
    2. Blue Water Bridge
    3. International Bridge

This is the first I have heard of an actual single authority. Both the international and Mackinac have authorities. It appears they were planning turnpikes that never happened: The only thing I could find online was case law. It appears that the archives [[at the State Museum), has historical records.
    http://174.123.24.242/leagle/xmlResu...WAR1-1950-1985

I wonder how much Detroit and Michigan would be different with toll roads? For example, would people avoid them forcing more traffic onto the arterials and transit? In many places with tolls [[Chicago, LA), it does not seem to make much of a difference.
    Interesting case. Sounds like it's describing an early, pre-Interstate version of I-75 [[Rockwood-Dearborn-Pontiac-Flint-Saginaw).

Obviously the specifics of routing [[and the fact that generally turnpikes have fewer exits than free Interstates) would make a difference in development patterns, but I suspect people still would use the turnpikes for commuting, just as commuters around Philadelphia use the Pennsylvania Turnpike and commuters in North Jersey use the Garden State Parkway. They'd adapt to the added cost of the tolls if the road got them from where they want to live to where they work.