Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

dbs, You're right; Conant is the east/west border between Detroit and Hamtramck. I grew up a few blocks from there and my late Dad used to call it Hamtramck Heights because it was Detroit with a Hamtramck zip code.

I hate to say this but IMHO Hamtramck paczki were overpopularized over recent years and weren't nearly as good as they used to be. They have such high volume that they start making them days in advance and there's a BIG diffrence between a day old and a fresh paczek. I get mine at Heritage Bakery [[5 & Newburgh in Livonia) and they're SO fresh, they're actually still warm! Plus they absolutely LOAD them with jelly - I have warn people so they don't wear it! It seemed over the years, from what I saw of Hamtramck paczki, they they were cutting WAY back on the fillings. Smacne!
    Last edited by mtm49269; November-10-11 at 02:40 PM. Reason: fix typo

I live over there. I call it "Halftramck."

Just passed by and there is a "Grand Opening" banner in front. didn't have time to stop in. Anyone know what is in there now?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Oaza has been closed for several years now. If the little bakeries are feeling the squeeze, imagine how Oaza felt it. The increasingly Middle Eastern and South Asian residents of Hamtramck usually go for flat breads.
    Maybe the Poles should have started making flat and halal bread when they saw that the "demographics" begin to change.

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    Maybe the Poles should have started making flat and halal bread when they saw that the "demographics" begin to change.
    Or paczki stuffed with ACHAR PACHRANGA!

Quote Originally Posted by piczka View Post
    Or paczki stuffed with ACHAR PACHRANGA!
    Absolutely.....

It's going to reopen as a halal/Middle Eastern grocery store.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2