Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
Mikey in Brooklyn. I agree at first blush that the location of the enormous train station makes poor sense for public commuting. However, the location is logical when you realize the location of the rail tunnel and that trains using the station were not commuter, but intercity trains. Detroit had other stations too that were much closer to downtown that served commuter traffic more effectively. Therese were located where Wayne County Community College now stands as well as where the Ren Cen now stands. In fact, if you look at some of the bridges for the deck over the Lodge Freeway you can see that the beams are massive and closely spaced. This gives a hint that these once held an incredible amount of weight, locomotives with passenger cars!

If we can figure out a way to re-establish passenger travel between the Michigan and Ontario, we would go a long way justifying at least one business at the train station. That business would be either a major VIA or AMTRAK stop.

Ok thats explains it. I thought I had fallen asleep and all of a sudden found myself in the year THIRTY eleven as extensive at that was and I didnt hear a peep about it. Thanks for clearing that all and reinforcing what I knew all long...