Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Why would anyone fund such a project in a low cost area like Detroit?

Detroit needs programs and projects to lower the cost of buisness, not raise it.
    Who would pay for such a cap when there are empty buildings surrounding the freeways?!!!!

It seems as though DYesers want all the flourish of success without the underlying success.
    We want cheese shops without cheese consumers, we deny the obvious conclusion that bus rapid transit would be more effecient and want glitzy light rail.

As the person who originally posted this, let me clarify that I think this is a long term, currently low-priority project/goal. I agree that there is plenty of cheap, buildable land in the surrounding areas where density could be added first. However, for the long range growth of the downtown area and the way the neighborhoods connect and interact with it, I think it will be important to bridge these literal and figurative gaps in the city.

In the past, and again in this thread, there are mentions of building parks over the freeways and I can never see that being financially viable. However, a major part of this article is being overlooked. While retail may not be a need right now, the act of simply eliminating the line of sight to the freeway seems to be a major psychological factor in the walkability and connectivity of the bridges. Perhaps, there is some way to build something relatively inexpensive with landscaping that would go a long way towards creating a congruent neighborhood.