Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Detroit Shoppe

DetroitPole Guest

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I wasn't talking about just tourist but people who live in or near downtown who can't find a store that serves the basics needs of most shoppers. I am sure that New Yorkers, Chicagoans, and Californians find it hillarious that Detroiters, especially those who live in or near downtown, will have to drive 8 to 10 miles just to purchase household necessities and yes even underpants. The busineeses in the suburbs are laughing their way to the bank as Detroiters have to bring a pot of money to them in exchange for the most basic needs. Now; who is laughing now.
    I buy my underpants in the city. I'll save my receipt next time.

If anything those outsiders you speak of just find it curious that people don't - and choose not to, or better yet, are fearful to - shop in the city. The attitude around here is just what you expressed - that somehow you'll die if you don't buy your shit at a mall in the suburbs. Well that's the kind of attitude they find downright strange.

I wasn't talking about just tourist but people who live in or near downtown who can't find a store that serves the basics needs of most shoppers. I am sure that New Yorkers, Chicagoans, and Californians find it hillarious that Detroiters, especially those who live in or near downtown, will have to drive 8 to 10 miles just to purchase household necessities and yes even underpants. The busineeses in the suburbs are laughing their way to the bank as Detroiters have to bring a pot of money to them in exchange for the most basic needs. Now; who is laughing now.
    That's exactly the problem. Many of the major retailers located in the suburbs expect Detroiters to make the pilgrimage out to their stores. But now we have a third option: the Internet. I buy as much as I can online, unless I have an alternative close to home. I'm proud that I've never spent a dime at Hudson's [[or whatever they call themselves now) since they closed my neighborhood store. If and when they ever move back downtown, I'll be there on the first day they open.

I don't have to go to the suburbs to purchase my basic household needs because I shop at the Dollar Tree ...there are hundreds of them all over the city...they have everything including groceries and underwear!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    I don't have to go to the suburbs to purchase my basic household needs because I shop at the Dollar Tree ...there are hundreds of them all over the city...they have everything including groceries and underwear!!!
    What about bed sheets that are more than 150 thread count? What about nice quality bath towels.. what about a nice iron? Show me where in downtown or midtown detroit where I could buy a camera.

you probably had to go outisde of the downtown area to buy them unless you are a woman then you could go to CVS. Bring it downtown and I won't go to the malls

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Yep, it's what we do in the big city...walk. Just trade your Manolo Blahniks in for a good pair of Rockports [[available at City Slicker Shoes) and enjoy the urban experience. I suppose when you go to New York, you expect to find Macy's and Bloomingdales side-by-side?
    Finding a Macy's and Bloomingdales side-by-side would be rare considering they are the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Yep, it's what we do in the big city...walk. Just trade your Manolo Blahniks in for a good pair of Rockports [[available at City Slicker Shoes) and enjoy the urban experience. I suppose when you go to New York, you expect to find Macy's and Bloomingdales side-by-side?
    lol I love to walk! But people in Chicago and NYC don't even walk that far! They take a cab or train, but wait this is Detroit...

DetroitPole Guest

What about bed sheets that are more than 150 thread count? What about nice quality bath towels.. what about a nice iron? Show me where in downtown or midtown detroit where I could buy a camera.
    There is a KMart at 7 Mile and Berg. There is a Home Depot at 7 Mile and Meyers.

This turns into the same old shit. Yeah, look, if you want to actually support city businesses that pay taxes in Detroit and mean one less vacant building and a few more jobs, you definitely have to try harder than driving to a mall. The city isn't abounding in retail. That isn't news.

Still, a person can get most of the things they need in the city if they try. If they were to try really hard, they could get literally everything [[this would probably involve quite a lot of driving since the city is a big place, so most people don't get everything).

Still, the peanut gallery here is always going to scream back with some stupid hypothetical "WHAT IF I WANT TO BUY A RECLINING BUDDHA AND I'M IN BRIGHTMOOR!?!? I HAVE TO DRIVE TO THE SUBURBS SDFJKLSDF!" Yeah, okay, sorry, you can't buy an iron in Midtown, to my knowledge. There are worse things.

I usually buy my underpants at National Dry Goods since you're probably wondering.

What kind of camera are you in the market for, anyway? I do photography and camera stores are hard to come by pretty much anywhere nowadays. There are only a handful of bonafide camera stores in the entire region.

Your quest to buy a camera and exotic undergarments downtown make me wonder what your motivations are. Something interesting going on at the Shorecrest Inn?
    Last edited by DetroitPole; October-27-11 at 07:54 AM.

When I need "upscale" products like those you mentioned I go to the Family Dollar on Woodward. My digital camera and laptop that I am using to type this thread was purchased at my next door neighbor's yardsale a couple of summers ago. My cell phone came from the neighborhood MetroPcs. And my new car was purchased at a Downtown Detroit Ford Dealership. As I previously stated I shop and work where I live.
    Last edited by MidTownMs; October-27-11 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    What kind of camera are you in the market for, anyway? I do photography and camera stores are hard to come by pretty much anywhere nowadays. There are only a handful of bonafide camera stores in the entire region.

Your quest to buy a camera and exotic undergarments downtown make me wonder what your motivations are. Something interesting going on at the Shorecrest Inn?
    Why you can buy cameras at stores like Staples, just a short walk from the Shorecrest.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Why you can buy cameras at stores like Staples, just a short walk from the Shorecrest.
    You're absolutely correct...there's a Dollar Tree at the same location [[Jefferson & Jos. Campau)

I buy oxford cloth button down shirts, khakis, and shoes, all made in the US. Tell me where I can buy those downtown and I'll go.

Invest in extra police to patrol downtown and midtown instead of using that money to pay meter maids overtime just to make chump change from the meters causing potential shoppers not to want to shop at the few shops that you have in the area
    LOL, that's not hardly the reason that downtown has little retail.

Well, if Metro Detroit were all under one unified government authority, Somerset would either 1) not exist at all or 2) be in some sort of urban incarnate in or around downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by stromberg2 View Post
    I've checked them out before. Neither Dickies nor Carhartt still make stuff in the US - as least the vast majority isn't made in the US anymore [[I think some of Carhartt's jackets are still assembled in the US from parts made in Mexico) Also, most of their clothes are poly-blends that wear like cheap plastic. There's nothing wrong with 100% cotton, if it's good cotton.

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    There are no Dollar Tree or Family Dollar in the downtown area. I am trying not to use my car if I was living downtown. I just want to walk a block or so up the street instead of driving a mile down Jefferson.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    LOL, that's not hardly the reason that downtown has little retail.
    I think that it is a concern to potential retailers who are considering setting up shop downtown but want their customers to feel safe coming in and going out of their businesses

Still; no staples in the downtown area where someone could walk to if that person resides downtown

[QUOTE=stasu1213;280745]There are no Dollar Tree or Family Dollar in the downtown area. I am trying not to use my car if I was living downtown. I just want to walk a block or so up the street instead of driving a mile down Jefferson.

Get yourself a bike.

Still; no staples in the downtown area where someone could walk to if that person resides downtown
    This is what? a mile from the RenCen tops?? Whats your definition of the downtown area??? 1 Mile = 5280 feet or 2,000 strides.

This is what? a mile from the RenCen tops?? Whats your definition of the downtown area??? 1 Mile = 5280 feet or 2,000 strides.
    How many shops, boutique, and electronic stores do you have within one mile of the hotel you arw staying in if you were in New York, Chicago, Atlanta, or Los Angeles? One mile in those cities doesn't seem like one loooonnng mile for there are many things that encourage pedestrian foot traffic. Let us take living in downtown detroit and want to buy a phone for your new loft. The only place near by is Staples. It is cold and snowy. Will you say "it's only one freaking mile I guess I could walk that" or would you just stay at home for you dont want to walk the long mile through nothing but strip malls, dealerships, closed down acadamies, Dr Dres rarely opened restaurant just to get to Staples. Staples don't have the phone that you want and you would have to hike it back that long so called mile to your loft. You could try to catch a bus but you would have to wait in the cold for about....let say three hours. Try to catch a cab if you could find one. Make you want to buy a car that you cant afford due to high insurance and parking lot fees

The last time I had to attend a meeting at the Corktown Inn on Trumbull, they had a vending machine with edible underpants. So if someone is in dire need of unmentionables and doesn't feel the need to drive too far, I'm sure they would suffice for the moment.

^^^^
    This is one fun thread!

Stromberg2

[QUOTE=DetroitPlanner;280773]This is what? a mile from the RenCen tops?? Whats your definition of the downtown area??? 1 Mile = 5280 feet or 2,000 strides.[/QUOTEYou probably have a car so the mile would be nothing for you. A person who doesn't have a car or a person who is visiting here,[[residing downtown) and who doesn't know the lay of the land, don't own a car, would think that the Staples is a very long way from downtown especially when there are no other decent shops or retail stores between the two locations. Detroiters are too car dependent. A pedestrian can't get to a destination a mile away faster than a person in a car. Also, the people on here are saying that they could get underpants anywhere. I wasn't just talking about underpants eventhough that is one of the basic needs. I was talking about basic household needs that are not sold at a dollar store. They doesn't have to be sold at a high end store either. Anna Linens or any linen store would had done well in the downtown area.Those stores sell good quality bed sheets, towels, and other items. Is Dan Gilbert the only person who has businesses in the city the only one who would take risk. Somerset Collection in CityLoft was nice but why don't the mayor convince Target to experiment downtown on the weekends? Target, even operating downtown one weekend out of the month, will draw more people shop there than CityLoft could ever dream of. The attitude has to change in this city.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast