Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

I seriously had to walk away from this thread for a while. I drink but I impaired my social life -- on purpose -- when I lived in Ann Arbor and many of my sorority & young Detroit professional events were on weeknights when I knew I couldn't get a ride home or crash with others. I just didn't go, for many years. I also don't like dating men who toss back a few and then drive, for personal reasons I will not elaborate here. So this hits all kinds of buttons for me.

Have I ever driven after having had one beer or one glass of wine? Sure. Was I wrong? Heck yeah! Just because buzzed driving is something "everyone does" doesn't make it right. Some of the same people on this thread who think driving after even one beer or one glass of wine is OK are the hardest on inner city Detroit residents who have ruined their lives because of a bad choice -- or a series of bad choices. It's a slippery slope, folks.

It's not a question of either-or when it comes to dangerous drivers who are texting, eating, reading, changing a kid's diaper, having sex, or doing anything else other than driving behind the wheel. All of it is dangerous. Yes, we definitely need to have better public transit options, but that's not an either-or issue, either. It's both-and.

Maybe this is a business opportunity for someone in metro Detroit. I don't know. But maybe one of the [[many) reasons why there isn't a demand for mass transit is because there is such a norm of driving in this region, no matter what one's personal condition/fitness to operate a motor vehicle might be, no matter the weather, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Maybe this is a business opportunity for someone in metro Detroit. I don't know. But maybe one of the [[many) reasons why there isn't a demand for mass transit is because there is such a norm of driving in this region, no matter what one's personal condition/fitness to operate a motor vehicle might be, no matter the weather, etc.
    Good post, English!

I don't know if there's a buisness like this in Detroit, but here in Windsor there's a company called "Cruise Control". Basically what happens is you drive your car to the booze, and then you call these people. They come to you with two uniformed drivers, and drive you and your car home while the other follows in their vehicle.

Really you're just hiring a designated driver. You can book them ahead of time, or call between their operating hours. Sunday to Monday is 6pm to 0230am. Tuesday to Saturday is 6pm to 4am.

I've used the service myself and its pretty damn handy to have around, and alot cheaper then a DUI or Manslaughter.

here's their site
    http://www.cruisecontrolwindsor.ca/
    Last edited by Magnatomicflux; October-26-11 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
    I don't know if there's a buisness like this in Detroit, but here in Windsor there's a company called "Cruise Control". Basically what happens is you drive your car to the booze, and then you call these people.
    The Designated Driver is a service that operates in Oakland County. I've heard them advertised on the radio and have seen them mentioned in the newspapers, but have not actually seen them in action. Not sure if they operate throughout the Tri-County area or beyond.