Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thanks for the thoughtful response, English.

While I lived in Charlotte, they had a company that had these extremely small scooters that would fit in a trunk. They would drive your car home for you, then take the scooter back downtown.

Occurrence Guest

I can't believe people are saying that having mass transit wouldn't help with the drunk driving issue.

My family who lives in Toronto, they drink all over the city. They don't own cars because they don't need them. In fact, my cousin who is 35 has never driven a car in his life. How are you going to argue your point with this one? I'm curious.

I think some people on here are having trouble separating the issues.

It is perfectly reasonable to conclude that serious mass transit options mean fewer people need to drive, which means less drunk driving.

It is unreasonable to argue that because Detroit doesn't have mass transit, we all have the right to drunk-drive whenever we please.

Does that help things? I'm gonna stand back ...

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    I think some people on here are having trouble separating the issues.

It is perfectly reasonable to conclude that serious mass transit options mean fewer people need to drive, which means less drunk driving.

It is unreasonable to argue that because Detroit doesn't have mass transit, we all have the right to drunk-drive whenever we please.

Does that help things? I'm gonna stand back ...
    THANK YOU.

This sounds very logical and I agree 100%.

So now we're going to throw in people who don't have cars and have never driven - or even know how to drive - in an argument about drunken driving? They would only be relevant if they had made the CHOICE to not drive, not because they have no other choice.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Maybe this is a business opportunity for someone in metro Detroit. I don't know. But maybe one of the [[many) reasons why there isn't a demand for mass transit is because there is such a norm of driving in this region, no matter what one's personal condition/fitness to operate a motor vehicle might be, no matter the weather, etc.
    Good post, English!

I don't know if there's a buisness like this in Detroit, but here in Windsor there's a company called "Cruise Control". Basically what happens is you drive your car to the booze, and then you call these people. They come to you with two uniformed drivers, and drive you and your car home while the other follows in their vehicle.

Really you're just hiring a designated driver. You can book them ahead of time, or call between their operating hours. Sunday to Monday is 6pm to 0230am. Tuesday to Saturday is 6pm to 4am.

I've used the service myself and its pretty damn handy to have around, and alot cheaper then a DUI or Manslaughter.

here's their site
    http://www.cruisecontrolwindsor.ca/
    Last edited by Magnatomicflux; October-26-11 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
    I don't know if there's a buisness like this in Detroit, but here in Windsor there's a company called "Cruise Control". Basically what happens is you drive your car to the booze, and then you call these people.
    The Designated Driver is a service that operates in Oakland County. I've heard them advertised on the radio and have seen them mentioned in the newspapers, but have not actually seen them in action. Not sure if they operate throughout the Tri-County area or beyond.

http://m.freep.com/localheadlines/ar...1026033&f=1231

The man believed to have caused a fiery car crash on M-10 that killed five people on Sunday, including himself, was drunk, said Oakland County Medical Examiner's Office officials today.

Oleg Stetsii, 23, a Ukrainian immigrant who lived in metro Detroit, had a blood alcohol level of 0.26, more than three times the legal limit.

Occurrence Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detwa View Post
    So now we're going to throw in people who don't have cars and have never driven - or even know how to drive - in an argument about drunken driving? They would only be relevant if they had made the CHOICE to not drive, not because they have no other choice.
    Yes. They don't have cars because they don't need them, because they have mass transit.

Oleg Stetsii, 23, a Ukrainian immigrant who lived in metro Detroit, had a blood alcohol level of 0.26, more than three times the legal limit.
    Well, well, well folks. .26 BAC.

4 innocent people killed. Young children that will grow up not even remembering their fathers. People have lost their friends, their brothers, their sons, their fathers, their husbands.

Watch the news coverage. WJBK had the sobbing widows with their fatherless children. This is a tragedy, my heart goes out to the families.

For those of you that take a relaxed attitude toward driving while intoxicated, let these men, their wives, and their children be on your mind as you formulate opinions and make decisions.

Disgusting.

Happens in Wisconsin too:

DELAFIELD, Wis. [[AP) — At least four squad cars tried in vain to stop a driver headed the wrong way on a Wisconsin interstate before her vehicle struck another head-on, killing both drivers.

Officials with the Waukesha County Sheriff's Department told WISN-TV [[http://bit.ly/rLWr2k) they received multiple calls Saturday about the driver going the wrong way on Interstate 94 west of Milwaukee shortly after midnight. The sheriff's department and state police sent squad cars to try to stop it, and a deputy saw the crash just as he was arriving.

The wrong-way driver was a 44-year-old woman whose name has not been released.

The other driver was 41-year-old Brian St. Germaine of Watertown. His wife says he was headed to work.

Investigators say there were no immediate signs alcohol was involved. They are still investigating.
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...7cb934ea41dee2

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6