Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    It's true. For 10 years, I've never had to drive a car home from a bar or party. I've been close enough to walk, take a train, or take a cab. When I go back home for the holidays and meet up with my high school friends at a bar, I think they are lunatics for getting in a car. Sure they may be way under the legal limit, but it just seems strange and irresponsible that you'd get in a car even after consuming one drink
    A while back one of my friends, who is originally from Westchester County in suburban New York, said that living in Westchester he was "forced" to learn how to "drive drunk" in order to have a social life. He told us this a couple of years after he had moved into the city [[he doesn't even own a car anymore). He probably hasn't operated a car after drinking alcohol in years, but when he lived in the suburbs he chose to do it regularly.

Now, Westchester County isn't as convenient as living in New York, but it has a hell of a lot more transit options than most anything you can find in Metro Detroit. So if some kid living in Westchester felt like he had to make that decision, then imagine how many kids in Metro Detroit are making the decision between having a social life and driving under the influence?

I'm a 20-something and I know very few people in my age group who haven't operated a vehicle after consuming alcohol. I am not condoning it at all, but it is reality. People do make this decision on a regular basis. So, putting it nicely, you're being naive if you think that lack of mass transit options has no effect on how many people choose to drive after consuming alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    So, putting it nicely, you're being naive if you think that lack of mass transit options has no effect on how many people choose to drive after consuming alcohol.
    It has an effect, but drunk driving is still inexcusable.

The problem is, as is reflected on this board, that a surprising amount of people think that it is, for various reasons, OK to drive drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    It has an effect, but drunk driving is still inexcusable.

The problem is, as is reflected on this board, that a surprising amount of people think that it is, for various reasons, OK to drive drunk.
    Well, two things: 1) some people are having a debate about what "drunk" really means [[I'm not involved in that part of the discussion but I can respect the merit of the debate), and 2) there is a discussion about how it is hard to abide by this arbitrarily defined "drunk" limit [[or maybe the irony of this limit) when drunk driving at its roots is a problem caused by the state's policies.

Well, two things: 1) some people are having a debate about what "drunk" really means [[I'm not involved in that part of the discussion but I can respect the merit of the debate), and 2) there is a discussion about how it is hard to abide by this arbitrarily defined "drunk" limit [[or maybe the irony of this limit) when drunk driving at its roots is a problem caused by the state's policies.
    Allow me to redefine: It's inexcusable to drive while under the influence of alcohol.

If you can't figure out how you're going to get home, then don't drink. That simple.

Let's stop killing people with our cars already.

A while back one of my friends, who is originally from Westchester County in suburban New York, said that living in Westchester he was "forced" to learn how to "drive drunk" in order to have a social life. He told us this a couple of years after he had moved into the city [[he doesn't even own a car anymore). He probably hasn't operated a car after drinking alcohol in years, but when he lived in the suburbs he chose to do it regularly.

Now, Westchester County isn't as convenient as living in New York, but it has a hell of a lot more transit options than most anything you can find in Metro Detroit. So if some kid living in Westchester felt like he had to make that decision, then imagine how many kids in Metro Detroit are making the decision between having a social life and driving under the influence?

I'm a 20-something and I know very few people in my age group who haven't operated a vehicle after consuming alcohol. I am not condoning it at all, but it is reality. People do make this decision on a regular basis. So, putting it nicely, you're being naive if you think that lack of mass transit options has no effect on how many people choose to drive after consuming alcohol.
    I think the bigger problem might be that there are people that think they have to have DUI level alcohol in their system to have a social life.

Also they're dumb as a carrot if they know they're going to be over .08 and drive a car with all problems they'll be dealing with if they get pulled over.