Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    I guess you need another hint. Colbert pretends to be something he is not.
    Isn't Retroit the perfect straight man, though? This exchange is pure comedy gold.

Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    I guess you need another hint. Colbert pretends to be something he is not.
    Sounds like a true politician!

Sounds like a true politician!
    Or a D-yes poster.

So getting back on track...
    Are there any families today that were considered "old money" at the turn of the century. I guess what I have learned is that the Fords and the Dodges were considered the new money because they had just recently got their money [[obviously) from their respective industries.

I went to the Royal Oakk Books store on Woodward a couple of weeks ago and was reading a book about the money in America. The Grosse Pointes were featured with one family called "the Newberrys".

It also went on to say that GPers were so snooty that they didn't even go to the symphony or opera in Detroit because they had already seen in New York or will see it in NYC.

Retroit Guest

dtowncitylover, sorry for the threadjack!

In addition to the book recommended by Mikeg, you might also be interested in Silas Farmer's History of Detroit and Michigan, Volume 2, Biographical Edition from 1889:

http://books.google.com/books?id=Yl0...iH_08RFTIhy03m

It's quite alright, Retroit. Thanks for the link.

Retroit Guest

This may be slightly off topic, but if you are interested in what industries preceded the automobile, I'd recommend Detroit and World Trade by Thomas Munger. It is from 1920, but he gives historic data for prior decades:

http://books.google.com/books?id=VvZ...d+trade+munger

Thanks, Mikeg, for sharing that link. I was able to find a few relatives in there and corroborate some old family tales. Fascinating stuff.

bump. bump.

Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    bump. bump.
    If you would have let us keep arguing, you wouldn't have had to "bump, bump"!

Lorax Guest

I was raised in Grosse Pointe, and am pushing 50 now, so I have quite a few stories of what it was like in my time, but have tons of great stories about the people I met and knew.

Some I can't share, since the people involved are still alive, and I wouldn't want to compromise anyone's privacy.

There are many stories, though, about people I've met who are no longer living including Mrs. Lodge, scion of the Lodge family in Detroit, who was in her 90's thirty years ago, Mrs. Allan Shelden, who was an inveterate collector of antiques and art objects, Mrs. Wesson Seyburn [[Winifred Dodge), who's home, The Sycamores on Jefferson at Cadieux was sadly demolished in favor of some nasty look-alike McMansionettes. I have dozens of photos of this home and it's grounds before demolition.

I was friendly with Valerie DeGalan, who was an amazing designer of women's clothing, and around 80 years of age 25 years ago, who once had a smart shop in Grosse Pointe, and was well known overseas as well- her home on Kensington was replete with fantastic antiques collected over a lifetime of travel, and was decorated by Syrie Maugham, wife of author W. Somerset Maugham.

Edie Kerouac was another acquaintance, Marjorie Fisher as well.

Mr. & Mrs. Scotten, a most engaging and worldly couple, had lived off what was left of the family's wealth for a lifetime, ending their days in a lovely little home on Audubon near Mack.

And there are dozens more!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3