Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Threaded View

Default Detroit's Social Register, yesterday and today

As someone who thinks of himself as an ameteur sociologist, I have always been interested the high society of American cities. I think that we all wish we were born with a silver spoon in our mouth and I am no exception. I was wondering if anyone has any insight on Detroit Society and the history of it. Growing up in the 90s/00s was probably different that the 50s/60s so I wonder if there has been a shift of Detroit's social register. For me, Grosse Pointers had the money for generations, but those from West Bloomfield were new money. Also, it seems that there aren't the families like in some cities, like the Kennedys and Cabots of Boston ad Rockfellers of NYC. As for Detroit, IMO, we had the Ford family. This can go back as far as 1701, because I know that Brush Park was, I think, the original elite neighborhood. Within the city, I believe that Indian Village and Boston Edison were the old money, while Palmer Woods and Sherwood Forest were new money. When did white flight start to affect these neighborhoods? Any information is helpful!
    Last edited by Lowell; June-05-09 at 08:25 AM.