Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    http://www.freep.com/article/2011101...text|FRONTPAGE

Of course, as with any poll, the results have to be taken with a grain of salt. However, it is worth noting that the poll question seemed pretty straightforward.
    You have got to be kidding me. We all know where you stand on this, but you are acting as though this is just some poll. It is an alleged poll funded by the billionaire himself and the alleged pollster is a "conservative group." No credibility.
    Last edited by bartock; October-18-11 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Took out "female" no relevance.

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    You have got to be kidding me. We all know where you stand on this, but you are acting as though this is just some poll. It is an alleged poll funded by the billionaire himself and the alleged pollster is a female "conservative group." No credibility.

*results taken from a random selection of 100 members of the Moroun Family

You have got to be kidding me. We all know where you stand on this, but you are acting as though this is just some poll. It is an alleged poll funded by the billionaire himself and the alleged pollster is a "conservative group." No credibility.
    And just where do I stand on this [[after you respond I'll tell you exactly where I stand)? Did I or did I not state that this poll should be taken with a grain of salt? And aren't most polls funded by someone who has a stake in the outcome? Which is the reason why I focused on the phrasing of the question. Do you consider the question vague or straightforward?

bartock Guest

And just where do I stand on this [[after you respond I'll tell you exactly where I stand)? Did I or did I not state that this poll should be taken with a grain of salt? And aren't most polls funded by someone who has a stake in the outcome? Which is the reason why I focused on the phrasing of the question. Do you consider the question vague or straightforward?
    You have stated neutrality, but your posts suggest somewhere between all-out support for Maroun and all-out disdain for a public bridge. You stated to be taken with a grain of salt "like any poll" without mentioning the source. I don't think most polls that are published by newspapers as ostensible suggestion of fact are so blatantly from one side. I DO consider the question vague because it is asked in a vaccuum, without regard to any context.

You have stated neutrality, but your posts suggest somewhere between all-out support for Maroun and all-out disdain for a public bridge. You stated to be taken with a grain of salt "like any poll" without mentioning the source. I don't think most polls that are published by newspapers as ostensible suggestion of fact are so blatantly from one side. I DO consider the question vague because it is asked in a vaccuum, without regard to any context.
    Here's where I stand. Over ten years ago I had a grandmother that was thrown out of her home [[that was already paid for) by the City for the Graimark, now called Jefferson Village, development. Before that, she had been kicked out of homes on Monroe, where the Franklin Wright homes off of Chene and Lafayette are, and not too much longer after that out of the area that would become the Poletown Plant. Each time being paid peanuts compared to how much equity had been put into her homes. All was done under eminent domain. In not one case was she compensated enough to cover even the smallest down payment for another house that was worth moving into. And after the last time, most mortgage companies viewed her as to old to give a mortgage to. Fortunately, I was awarded a grant for school at that time which allowed me to take money that I had saved and use it to get her a nice place. But I can imagine that there were a lot of people that weren't as lucky as we were.

So you'll have to forgive me if I'm willing to take a hard look at any project that plans on displacing a number of people, especially seniors, out onto the streets. Because that's precisely what this plan calls for. But of course, that's not going to find its way into any of the literature of the DRIC or get highlighted in a speech by the governor to an economic club
    As far as Moroun goes, I wish he wasn't a factor at all. Most people are more anti-Matty than they are Pro-DRIC. And at some point people need to just look at the DRIC for its own merits. There are going to be a lot of people in Delray that will be displaced from their homes. And until the needs of the people affected are legitimately addressed, then that project shouldn't go through.

That's where I stand.

bartock Guest

Here's where I stand. Over ten years ago I had a grandmother that was thrown out of her home [[that was already paid for) by the City for the Graimark, now called Jefferson Village, development. Before that, she had been kicked out of homes on Monroe, where the Franklin Wright homes off of Chene and Lafayette are, and not too much longer after that out of the area that would become the Poletown Plant. Each time being paid peanuts compared to how much equity had been put into her homes. All was done under eminent domain. In not one case was she compensated enough to cover even the smallest down payment for another house that was worth moving into. And after the last time, most mortgage companies viewed her as to old to give a mortgage to. Fortunately, I was awarded a grant for school at that time which allowed me to take money that I had saved and use it to get her a nice place. But I can imagine that there were a lot of people that weren't as lucky as we were.

So you'll have to forgive me if I'm willing to take a hard look at any project that plans on displacing a number of people, especially seniors, out onto the streets. Because that's precisely what this plan calls for. But of course, that's not going to find its way into any of the literature of the DRIC or get highlighted in a speech by the governor to an economic club
    As far as Moroun goes, I wish he wasn't a factor at all. Most people are more anti-Matty than they are Pro-DRIC. And at some point people need to just look at the DRIC for its own merits. There are going to be a lot of people in Delray that will be displaced from their homes. And until the needs of the people affected are legitimately addressed, then that project shouldn't go through.

That's where I stand.
    Well, that is certainly a unique perspective and I respect it. However, as the population of Delray continues to decline, the number of folks to be displaced shrinks as well. If I recall, the highest number of potential people displaced was the low 1,000 - something. These are different days and a different situation than those of your family's, but your skepticism is totally understandable.

I do think that the fact that this is Moroun must be taken into consideration. The greed and the amount of blight this man has caused/contributed to over the years is part of the reason why Delray is what it is today. I do think the situation would be different on this side if it was one of the other very few billionaires with ties to Michigan, though I'm not sure Canada would care either way. Even from a lesser of two evils argument, I'm voting Eminent Domain and hoping that the displaced folks get into better housing in less polluted environs.

Thanks for your take. Sincerely.

Well, that is certainly a unique perspective and I respect it. However, as the population of Delray continues to decline, the number of folks to be displaced shrinks as well. If I recall, the highest number of potential people displaced was the low 1,000 - something. These are different days and a different situation than those of your family's, but your skepticism is totally understandable.

I do think that the fact that this is Moroun must be taken into consideration. The greed and the amount of blight this man has caused/contributed to over the years is part of the reason why Delray is what it is today. I do think the situation would be different on this side if it was one of the other very few billionaires with ties to Michigan, though I'm not sure Canada would care either way. Even from a lesser of two evils argument, I'm voting Eminent Domain and hoping that the displaced folks get into better housing in less polluted environs.

Thanks for your take. Sincerely.
    " If I recall, the highest number of potential people displaced was the low 1,000 - something."

That's a lot of people getting screwed over.