Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I went on vacation in Manhattan for a week. I absolutely fell in love with NYC. We did the full experience, we flew in, bought the fare cards, and took the buses and subway everywhere we went. It was a little scary at times with some of the weird folk, but I fell in love with mass transit and the urban environment.

It was great for the one week in NYC, that whenever we needed something we just needed to walk a block or two and it could be obtained.

We went to a Mets game, and when the game let out there was no massive traffic jam. They had a bunch of trains lined up to take you right back, there wasn't even really a line, the subway simply got thousands of people home very efficiently.

Mass transit benefits everyone, even those that don't use it. We need to get serious about mass transit, run it regionally, and fund it.

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    I went on vacation in Manhattan for a week. I absolutely fell in love with NYC. We did the full experience, we flew in, bought the fare cards, and took the buses and subway everywhere we went. It was a little scary at times with some of the weird folk, but I fell in love with mass transit and the urban environment.

It was great for the one week in NYC, that whenever we needed something we just needed to walk a block or two and it could be obtained.

We went to a Mets game, and when the game let out there was no massive traffic jam. They had a bunch of trains lined up to take you right back, there wasn't even really a line, the subway simply got thousands of people home very efficiently.
    How can we get other people to make the connection you just did? I'm always confused by people who will happily use transit when they go on vacation, who will rave about how much fun they had walking around or renting a bike in x city, but who come home and vote against those exact same things.

Quote Originally Posted by urbanhat View Post
    How can we get other people to make the connection you just did? I'm always confused by people who will happily use transit when they go on vacation, who will rave about how much fun they had walking around or renting a bike in x city, but who come home and vote against those exact same things.
    Well, in my case I came home and voted for it, but I see what you're saying; it's tough to convince folks the benefit of mass transit.

Everyday on my way home I usually pass a bus at NB Woodward and Grand River. The bus is always standing room only. The transit I've seen is heavily utilized!

So many people who depend on the bus system can't afford a car, or else they're elderly/disabled and cannot drive. This is really kicking the most vulnerable people when they're already down.

I hear you. The whole bus scene is complex in terms of ridership; there are all kinds of people using the bus for varied reasons, long and short-term. Indeed a the present state the feel of being on the bus is a bit 'down-trodden' made even worse by the system as it spins down.

Being temporarily in between cars I've been out there and seen how bad this system is. You don't want to be part of it if avoidable, yet it should be a dignified and reliable transportation... I'd be willing to pay a dollar more if the system could regionalize and become more efficient.
    Quote Originally Posted by JenniferL View Post
    So many people who depend on the bus system can't afford a car, or else they're elderly/disabled and cannot drive. This is really kicking the most vulnerable people when they're already down.

I'm not surprised about the cuts. Frankly, I've always wondered why SMART went into the city. The only experience I've had with suburban bus systems is Pace in Chicago. I don't believe any of the routes go into the city, they start/end at the city limits or just within the city.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    I'm not surprised about the cuts. Frankly, I've always wondered why SMART went into the city. The only experience I've had with suburban bus systems is Pace in Chicago. I don't believe any of the routes go into the city, they start/end at the city limits or just within the city.
    That's an apples/oranges comparison though.

Do people in Chicago proper have much of a reason to go into the suburbs? I would also imagine the people who live in suburban Chicago and work in the city have automobiles.

It's a completely differrent situation in Detroit, where nearly 1/2 of the population lives below poverty and majority of the car-centric economic centers [[Souithfield, Troy, etc.) and retail establishments are a fair distance outside the city.
    Last edited by 313WX; October-16-11 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    It's a compeltely diferrent situation in Detroit, where nearly 1/2 of the population lives below poverty and majority of the car-centric economic centers [[Souithfield, Troy, etc.) and retail establishments are a fair distance outside the city.
    Well, DDOT serves some of the suburban employment centers [[Fairlane, parts of Southfield, Livonia for instance). DDOT, however, does not go one foot into Macomb Couny. So that is where the people in Detroit that rely on suburban jobs are going to be hurt the worst.

And therein lies the rub. As poverty increases in the city more and more people will have to ride the buses to get out for basic services/ amenities or an attempt of employment. So otherwise you're trapped in a cycle of increased poverty? And so with the ever shrinking tax base is a mass transit to replace a bus system that cannot be sustained a possiblity? Hardly!

Oh, it's really time to get out if is like this. As there's no way to get up to do better if you're walled into a situation so insulary. And crazy for seniors and the handicapped who no longer drive. They best have rides from friends or family or cabs. No car? Time to leave! Or wait and see how this all shakes out?

Do people in Chicago proper have much of a reason to go into the suburbs? I would also imagine the people who live in suburban Chicago and work in the city have automobiles.

It's a compeltely diferrent situation in Detroit, where nearly 1/2 of the population lives below poverty and majority of the car-centric economic centers [[Souithfield, Troy, etc.) and retail establishments are a fair disntance outside the city.
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-16-11 at 01:18 PM.

It's a completely differrent situation in Detroit, where nearly 1/2 of the population lives below poverty and majority of the car-centric economic centers [[Souithfield, Troy, etc.) and retail establishments are a fair distance outside the city.
    Now you're just guessing, and making excuses for Detroit at the same time.

The real reason PACE doesn't go into the City of Chicago is because PACE is intended to feed into the regional rail system [[Metra) that accomplishes the task of long-haul transport at far lower operating cost. It just plain doesn't make sense to have a bus route that is 30 miles long.

SMART is seeking public input on the proposed service changes. Please see Notice of Public Hearings for more information. Please see proposed service changes below. To print a copy of the proposed changes, click here.

Fixed Route Changes
    The following routes will be terminated at Detroit city limits. Passengers traveling to Detroit will transfer to DDOT.
    • Route 415 Greenfield Road
      • Ending Point: State Fair Grounds
    • Route 420 Southfield Road
    • Route 495 John R Road
    • Route 615 Kercheval Jefferson
      • Ending Point: Mack & Moross
    The following routes will be terminated at Detroit city limits in the off-peak weekday hours, all day Saturday and all day Sunday. Passengers traveling to Detroit will transfer to DDOT. [[Peak hours are Monday through Friday from 6:00A.M. to 9:00A.M. and 3:00P.M. to 6:00P.M.)
    • Route 125 Fort Street – Eureka Road
      • Ending Point: Jefferson and Coolidge
    • Route 200 Michigan Avenue
      • Ending Point: Fairlane Town Center
    • Route 450 Woodward Local to Pontiac
    • Route 460 Woodward Local to Troy
    • Route 510 Van Dyke
      • Ending Point: Van Dyke & 8 Mile[[Bel Air)
    • Route 560 Gratiot
      • Ending Point: Gratiot & 8 Mile
    • Route 610 Kercheval Harper
      • Ending Point: Maryland & Jefferson
    The following routes will be completely eliminated on Weekdays.
    • Route 112 Wilson Middle and Roosevelt High Schools – Wyandotte
    • Route 135 Southshore Express
    • Route 145 Carlysle
    • Route 150 Allen-Wick
    • Route 160 Downriver
    • Route 190 Taylor Flyer
    • Route 196 Peterson Warren Academy – Inkster
    • Route 202 Romulus
    • Route 203 Edsel Ford High School – Dearborn
    • Route 245 Cherry Hill
    • Route 265 Warren Road
    • Route 385 Orchard Lake
    • Route 525 Groesbeck Shuttle
    • Route 559 Auburn Hills - Roseville
    • Route 655 North High School and South High School – Grosse Pointe
    The following routes will be completely eliminated on Saturday.
    • Route 140 Southshore
    • Route 145 Carlysle
    • Route 245 Cherry Hill
    • Route 250 Ford Road
    • Route 265 Warren Road
    • Route 385 Orchard Lake
    • Route 550 Garfield
    • Route 615 Kercheval Jefferson
    The following routes will be completely eliminated on Sunday.
    • Route 140 Southshore
    • Route 250 Ford Road
    Connector Service Changes
    All customers affected by these cuts may have access to Connector Service through advance reservation, Monday-Friday. Connector Service will be reduced by 10% in all three [[3) Counties.

The following Small Bus Service will be completely eliminated:
    • Fairlane and Lakeside Job Express
    • Troy/Birmingham and Beverly Hills Dial-A-Ride
    • The Hamtramck Shuttle

The most very bad news is SMART is eliminating Western Wayne County Routes for weekends for those going to and coming out from Westland, Garden City, Inkster, Dearborn and Deaborn Heights.

SMART is also eliminating RTE. 245 Cherry Hill, RTE 265 Warren on weekdays. For those living in those areas, Boast your wrath at the SMART Board of Directors to keep those busses running them during the weekends and weekdays. People who living in those areas pay taxes to have SMART run those busses in Westland, Garden City, Inkster, Dearborn and Deaborn Heights. So let them run.

Those living on Wyandotte, Lincoln Park, Allen Park, Melvindale and Deaborn. Need the RTE 140 Southshore to get to Fairlane Mall and transfer to other busses and do other errands at the near downriver areas. They don't need to take 3 or more busses crosstown to get to those areas. Those people pay their millage dollars to keep SMART busses going. The people want something in return. Keep that bus running in weekend.

People need the RTE 145 Carlysle to get to Fairlane Mall and other places. The neighborhoods over the Dearborn-Dearborn Heights area is very long and those people don't need to depend on their friends and families for a ride or walk almost 2 to 4 miles west to Telegraph Rd or walk north to Michigan Ave. just to wait hours for that bus to take them to Fairlane Mall to other areas.

Those folks paid their millages to have that bus running their neighborhood. So keep that bus running.

Other people who as far from Trenton to far as New Baltimore need the SMART Busses to get to their errands. Blame it the power of GREED that has plagued Metro-Detroit area for years. You all should vote your district representatives out for stepping up to resolve this matter. These politicians are crying for mass transit on Woodward Ave. That would take bureacracy and debate and money from private corporations in which they do want to contribute if they see and hear about a derogatory word "Tax Hikes". Before we any special transit system, SMART bus system need to serve the community not downsize it into nothingless.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

For the 99 Percenters and the Spirit of Guy Fawkes, Neda, I miss you so.

probably make it harder to get a connector short bus

Thanks for that listing Danny, however the links you submitted do not work. Here's info:

SMART PRESS RELEASE LINK:
    http://www.smartbus.org/newsinfo/pre...s/default.aspx

NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARINGS:
    http://www.smartbus.org/newsinfo/pub...-Hearings.aspx

UNION ISSUES:
    http://www.smartbus.org/newsinfo/pre...-Required.aspx

Yeah it's crazy. I used to always feel confident that if the DDOT buses were a failure I could at least get the SMART bus as an alternative. NOT! Them days are ova'! Drive or walk is the true alternative. Indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Autoracks View Post
    probably make it harder to get a connector short bus

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Yeah it's crazy. I used to always feel confident that if the DDOT buses were a failure I could at least get the SMART bus as an alternative. NOT! Them days are ova'! Drive or walk is the true alternative. Indeed.
    Drive and walk in Metro-Detroit That is unethically crazy! Mass transit is a great alternative if your don't have a car, can't depend on your friends and family for a ride. Or on restrictive or loss of licenses.

Driving is great! Just be careful and take care in doing so.... Mass transit as we see is in melt down. Walking not a good time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Drive and walk in Metro-Detroit That is unethically crazy! Mass transit is a great alternative if your don't have a car, can't depend on your friends and family for a ride. Or on restrictive or loss of licenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Driving is great! Just be careful and take care in doing so.... Mass transit as we see is in melt down. Walking not a good time.

You're not looking at the worst case scenario about mass transit in Metro-Detroit. Do you know what it is if you can't drive a car?

Calm down Danny! I realize how serious this is -- I got caught out there myself for almost two hours waiting for a DDOT! I am going thru it personally. I don't have a car right now as my old trusty car broke down before I could purchase another one. Yeah, its rough, especially when you work multiple jobs to makes ends meet, one being in the 'burbs. Yes, you have to rely on spouses, family, friends and every other means and let's not talk about travel at night when you'd not want to be waiting for a bus even back during the better times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    You're not looking at the worst case scenario about mass transit in Metro-Detroit. Do you know what it is if you can't drive a car?
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-20-11 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    The real reason PACE doesn't go into the City of Chicago is because PACE is intended to feed into the regional rail system [[Metra) that accomplishes the task of long-haul transport at far lower operating cost. It just plain doesn't make sense to have a bus route that is 30 miles long.
    That has been my observation in riding around Chicago on weekdays. There are a ton of people who commute into the city from the suburbs. The trains are *packed* in the morning on the suburban spurs, and the freeways into the city barely move during rush hour. It doesn't make sense to run medium-haul buses in all that traffic, anyways.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3