Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Default Pondering the Belly Button and Other Mysteries of Life

All,

Does anyone know where the belly button connects within the body?

Yeah, I was pondering mine in the tub this afternoon...and realized I had no idea what it was connected with inside.

I place that mystery along with things like...how and why mammalian species [[well MOST species) chose to 'evolve' into dualing genders for procreation...why gravity works...how the atom holds together...why anything has solidity and substance...

...and why most nobody ever seems to question and doubt these things!

Any other true mysteries y'all have, or real and true answers and solutions to any of them?

Cheers!

Oh yeah...and I truly wonder who figured out the coffee bean. I mean...who realized it had to be roasted JUST SO, then ground before soaking it all in water somehow...gaining us one of life's basic neural exciters, with caffeine-molecule shaped receptors in the nervous system?!

If you cloned yourself, and then killed the clone, would that be suicide or murder ?

I had a feeling this was a Gannon thread when I saw the title. Get out of the tub and Google your questions.

It was my understanding that the point of having two genders is to diversify the gene pool, allowing for better adaptability and evolution within the species.

Yeah, JL, THAT is surely entropic...it sounds as if we're anthropomorphizing the whole deal...trying to get it to make human sense as if 'evolution' somehow had intelligence behind it.

Curious twist, that.

Given the extreme friction in mere human mating ritual, wouldn't a few hundred thousand years be enough to adapt to single-sex procreation?

Damn, Pam.

Where will that get us? I'll learn, then report it here, and y'all will ignore me.

That is NOT the Socratic method...

Cheers

Pam - that's funny...When I saw the title of this thread I thought perhaps our youngest son had joined Dyes! He's always been fascinated with his belly button and constantly does "belly button maintenance", much to the disgust of his mother and his wife! How in the world he can manufacture so much lint in such a small space is beyond me!

Gannon - Gerhard Reibmann, a Berlin psychologist, sees the belly button differently from Hamilton Bailey. He believes that you can diagnose a person's life expectancy, general health and psychological state purely by looking at their belly button. He paid for the publication of his own book, which he called Centred: Understanding Yourself Through Your Navel.

This is quoted from: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...=1006041418468 -

You can check your local bookstore and see if they have a copy! Happy pondering buddy!

Allow me to rephrase for Pam
    Much better, thanks.

ccbatson Guest

The vessels that run internally from the umbilicus to the circulation of the fetus occlude right after birth, shrivel and are digested away, just like the remainder of the umbilicus that falls off on the outside.

Simplify, CC. Does that mean that the belly button isn't connected to anything, and is just a leftover bundle of skin the sits atop a muscle?

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Simplify, CC. Does that mean that the belly button isn't connected to anything, and is just a leftover bundle of skin the sits atop a muscle?
    I pondered, than lost interest.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I dunno, but it was one of the few times CC has brought anything meaningful and non-combative to the discussion...

I think we should all look at this as a postive

DetroitDad Guest

Default Re: Pondering the Belly Button and Other Mysteries of Life

John,

I believe it was Einstein who basically said that he himself was not smarter or more intelligent than any other mere human. Einstein believed the only difference between him and most, was that due to his "slow development" early on, he ended up pondering all the things as an adult, that most people pondered as children or teenagers.

You are certainly not the only one who thinks of such things, everyone does, though only a precious few, maybe a few hundred thousand [[hey, there is a lot to ponder), continue to ponder things throughout their adult years, as you are.

of course, it was also Einstein who said; "Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding."

Today, we also have the tools of the Internet and other tools. Judging by Einstein's last quote, it's easy to assume that more information [[the illusion of an information age) is good, and will form a long period [[age) of learning through information will lead us to a path of peace.

It is that last notion of "more being good" that I question, as Einstein also said;

"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them."

I think we as a race are facing another great pitfall, that will lead us to both an effort to sustain the unsustainable [[current culture), and violence or wars, [[when things fall apart). I believe that we face this pitfall, because the Internet make information and pondering things almost too easy at times. No longer is available information limited only to what one can find at his local university or library. Now, we have the entire world's thought and knowledge at our fingertips, which can be so overwhelming, that it is arguable that less now gets done than ever before. Sometimes less is more. Thank you diminishing returns of search engines and wiki technology!

Sincerely,

Sean of Detroit
    Committed to my family, & the communities & countryside surrounding the International Straits of Windsor & Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    All,

Does anyone know where the belly button connects within the body?

Yeah, I was pondering mine in the tub this afternoon...and realized I had no idea what it was connected with inside.

I place that mystery along with things like...how and why mammalian species [[well MOST species) chose to 'evolve' into dualing genders for procreation...why gravity works...how the atom holds together...why anything has solidity and substance...

...and why most nobody ever seems to question and doubt these things!

Any other true mysteries y'all have, or real and true answers and solutions to any of them?

Cheers!
    PS: Einstein also said; "it's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer." In reality [[yeah, I know, no such thing) it has more to do with how much of your effort is directed towards one or a select few things. If you can't focus your energy, and align your selfs to certain problems or tasks, you're dead in the metaphorical Dark Water.

Thanks for reviving this thread, DetroitDad. It shows great entertainment promise.

Here's one by the great Feynman himself: How does a mirror work? There are others.