Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
OK... Mike... gotta call you out on that one...

How is what Hirt does so different than a Butcher or Deli counter at Kroger? You don't pay at the butcher or deli counter... they just process your order and you go to the register to pay... somehow I don't want the folks handling my cheese just finish handling someone elses money first!

I've never had to wait more than a minute at the cashier windows at Hirt.

In the Eastern market stalls... the sellers are 1) handlers, 2) cashiers, and 3) bagggers all wrapped up in one...
I'll answer for him, since I feel the same way. Let's say the cheese guy just wrapped me up a nice 1# block of aged cheddar. It's never clear if I need to talk to the people with the scale/register at the end of the cheese counter [[to have it weighed/priced) or if you just go to the window, since there are usually people standing and paying at both. It feels like you have to wait in 2 lines after you get your cheese.

Some people have a paper invoice/receipt/whatever it is, some don't. There's not nearly enough space to form anything resembling a line, since it's right by the entrance and people need to get through and depending on how busy, the line backs up in front of the cheese counter.