Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

FYI: read Dr. West's [[ Im a huge fan)....in his book he reflects on his journey:

I hope I qoute this right: " It wasn't til I visited and Indian reservation and saw such poverty that I realized I have to get past my Black struggle and look at the human struggle..."

I look at a child born in poverty, and it is a direct reflection of our values and society..when a child in Detriot suffers ..children suffer in Warren, Grosse Pointe and Birmhingham...we are all connected to each others suffering an dloss...our fates are tied together...time to stop building silos around each of our own experiencesa dn fill each others up with hope and commpassion...I have seen the face of poverty and it is reflected in my actions... I have seen the face of "others" and it is built into our dna...and I have seen the face of responisbility...it is in our mirrors,

Quote Originally Posted by humanmachinery View Post
    Sorry for my belated reply. I've been away for months, busy with other things.

Glad you replied humanmachinery. As usual, you convey good intentions. Don't go changin, etc...

Reading more, and replying less on DYes these days. I too receive ample criticism regarding how I communicate. Actually, some of the same criticisms you alluded to in your post # 49. Nobody is perfect right?

Met Juan Williams twice and Cornell West once. And a distant relative knew Judge Higginbotham.

Let's make a deal humanmachinery. If you resume contributing more to various threads, I'll do the same. Silly idea, but it provides an incentive.

Has blksoul_x been around on DYes lately?

Great rythm music and dancing in those vids..I liked those sexy black babes slippin and slidin around the dance floor...very sexual..glad I was able to experience black women...back then it would have been VERY difficult in AmeriKKKa for a white guy to hook up with a black chick...

Ravine Guest

"..glad I was able to experience black women..."

And we're all glad for you, Terryh, if I may be so bold as to speak on behalf of the group and ourselves.

I hope it was a quality experience. Was there, like, 3-D glasses involved, or anything? Or was it like an amusement park water ride... you just hop in, secure your harness, and soon, *blooooshh!!* down you go?
    Or were they, basically, pretty much like women in general, only a bit darker of skin?
    For that matter, was there anything more to them, as people, other than [[I'm guessing; humor me, por favor) being bubbling cauldrons of torrid sexuality?
    I acknowledge, and pre-apologize for, the fact that some of these questions may seem kind of personal, but somebody's got to personalize the tone, here, goddamit.

But it's so good to know that it's really you, Terryh, and not some infidel imposter from, well, you know.
    Last edited by Ravine; March-13-10 at 03:22 PM.

I hope it was a quality experience...
    You actually believe all his stories? I'm doubtful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    "..glad I was able to experience black women..."

And we're all glad for you, Terryh, if I may be so bold as to speak on behalf of the group and ourselves.

I hope it was a quality experience. Was there, like, 3-D glasses involved, or anything? Or was it like an amusement park water ride... you just hop in, secure your harness, and soon, *blooooshh!!* down you go?
    Or were they, basically, pretty much like women in general, only a bit darker of skin?
    For that matter, was there anything more to them, as people, other than [[I'm guessing; humor me, por favor) being bubbling cauldrons of torrid sexuality?
    I acknowledge, and pre-apologize for, the fact that some of these questions may seem kind of personal, but somebody's got to personalize the tone, here, goddamit.

But it's so good to know that it's really you, Terryh, and not some infidel imposter from, well, you know.
    actually Ravine I was always attracted to women of color...of course the 'black' women I dated were as indivual in personality as any other female I guess...the tones...physical forms...certain cultural behaviours..I dont know if it was a subconcious stereotype on my part whatever it was it was exciting.....I think many black women tend to exude a certain blatant sexuality on the dance floor...

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    You actually believe all his stories? I'm doubtful.
    Actually they are true Pam...several white females I dated were FURIOUS when they seen some of my pics of black former girlfriends....I was glad it bothered them they were arrogant anyways..

Quote Originally Posted by terryh View Post
    Actually they are true Pam...several white females I dated were FURIOUS when they seen some of my pics of black former girlfriends....I was glad it bothered them they were arrogant anyways..
    It's the internet, anybody can claim anything. I'm doubtful of the whole superstud story, whatever race the women were supposed to be.

It's the internet, anybody can claim anything. I'm doubtful of the whole superstud story, whatever race the women were supposed to be.
    Ouch, that's got to sting!

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    Ouch, that's got to sting!
    Oh come on, I could have been a lot harsher.

Ravine Guest

Pam doesn't buy everything being peddled at this here flea-market.
    I was toying, a bit, with Terryh, but I wasn't entirely kidding. No woman of any substance wants to be thought of as being interesting because she is of a particular racial makeup, and stereotyping black women as being some species of Red Hot Mamas whose veins throb with extroverted carnality is just as fucked up as thinking of Asian women as being inscrutable geisha girls.
    Last edited by Ravine; March-15-10 at 11:01 AM.

I was toying, a bit, with Terryh, but I wasn't entirely kidding.
    I know what you mean. When I first read his remark, I thought, oh uh, open mouth and insert foot.

It's been awhile since we read about his libido, guess it was a long time in coming.

Not trying to convey superstud just saying Ive always been open minded and free sprited for the most part...anyways Ill stay on subject as far as the black and proud thing if it helps uplift individuals who feel disenfranchised ,picked on and marginalized is o.k. so long as being proud of the black 'race' doesn't include the condoning of discrimination and segreagation of the 'races'.....make sense?

Is Pam a jilted woman from terryh's past?

Ravine Guest

OK, Terryh, I'm not wanting you to get in any more trouble, here.

You mentioned open-mindedness and marginalization. I believe that you are open-minded, and that you are against the marginalization of any person, or group, because of their race. Why would I disbelieve it? "Innocent 'til proven guilty" still works, at least for me.

Just think about this, if you will indulge me [[for real, this time.)

Your original post, with its implicit leering, conveys a sense that your libido is stimulated by saucy black women whose dance style is notably uninhibited. Cool. Mine, too. Why would it not be?

But that is different from having an open mind; that is more like having a, well, you know, one of those, that is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Additionally, while your statement doesn't marginalize black women, or blacks in general, it sort of does something similar; it blatantly objectifies black women, and when you view folks as objects, you-- in a sense-- marginalize them, because Homo Sapiens is a group of actual living, feeling beings who have much more to them than merely their bodies and the ways in which they may sinuously undulate those bodies. When you view them in an objectifying manner, you disrespect them.

So, if you are the socially evolved, free-thinking person that you present yourself as being, I think that you should give that some thought.

And I'm not making you out to be a Bad Guy, or a shit-head. If I felt that way, I wouldn't have this much to say to you.

Is Pam a jilted woman from terryh's past?
    No. I'm not his type.

Quote Originally Posted by Flanders View Post
    Soul and R&B were replaced in transition by Disco, then Pop, then Rap and Hip Hop.

I loved the 60s-70s

Watched an old Dirty Harry movie, a few weeks ago, I always liked the scene where Tyne Daly waits for Clint Eastwood to finish talking to leader of that black revolutionary group.

Angela Davis, when have you gone?

Sorry,

Soul/R&B pretty much split into two pathways. Artists like the Sugar Hill Gang helped split the pathway.

There's the hip-hip/rap that we here today, then there's the songs by artists such as Jill Scott, Angie Stone, Dwele, Eric Benet, etc. which still contain that soulfulness.

OK, Terryh, I'm not wanting you to get in any more trouble, here.

You mentioned open-mindedness and marginalization. I believe that you are open-minded, and that you are against the marginalization of any person, or group, because of their race. Why would I disbelieve it? "Innocent 'til proven guilty" still works, at least for me.

Just think about this, if you will indulge me [[for real, this time.)

Your original post, with its implicit leering, conveys a sense that your libido is stimulated by saucy black women whose dance style is notably uninhibited. Cool. Mine, too. Why would it not be?

But that is different from having an open mind; that is more like having a, well, you know, one of those, that is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Additionally, while your statement doesn't marginalize black women, or blacks in general, it sort of does something similar; it blatantly objectifies black women, and when you view folks as objects, you-- in a sense-- marginalize them, because Homo Sapiens is a group of actual living, feeling beings who have much more to them than merely their bodies and the ways in which they may sinuously undulate those bodies. When you view them in an objectifying manner, you disrespect them.

So, if you are the socially evolved, free-thinking person that you present yourself as being, I think that you should give that some thought.

And I'm not making you out to be a Bad Guy, or a shit-head. If I felt that way, I wouldn't have this much to say to you.
    Fair enough Ravine. Many women of color Ive known have expressed a negative view ofAmerican men of African decent, and seem to seek out white men as a payback to white females for running off with black men...Ive never EVER have been scolded by an 'ethnic' woman for my views and perceptions, more often that not they were flattered by the attention...isnt it in our nature to objectify the oppostie sex regardless of race? We view them as sexual beings, procreate and reproduce.

And Ravine if Im being a bad guy or shit-head feel free to call me out on it Im thick skinned and open to criticism....

Ravine Guest

"Many women of color Ive known have expressed a negative view ofAmerican men of African decent, and seem to seek out white men as a payback to white females for running off with black men..."

No doubt. And that is objectifying behavior, as well. Being a black woman, or any other make & model of Homo Sapiens, does not provide an exemption or a Free Pass of any kind.
    At least you are up-front about this topic, and you absolutely do not come off, at least not in my view, as being a Bad Guy or a shit-head. Not at all. You like what you like. Why not? It is your way of referring to them that is potentially alienating.

"Ive never EVER have been scolded by an 'ethnic' woman for my views and perceptions, more often that not they were flattered by the attention..."

Yeah, probably because they just plain Dig The Attention and-- like so many women-- don't over-question the reasons behind that attention. Guys do the same thing, of course, and all of that directly feeds into why so many folks, of all colors and genders, wind up with people with whom they do not belong. In this case, the "novelty" of the race-difference wears off, over time; after a while, the other person is just a woman [[or a man) whose actual personal qualities will either continue to charm, or cease to charm, their partner.

Further: Yeah, objectification is something that we all have a tendency to do, with other folks, particularly with the other gender. Unfortunately, while it provides a viable starting point for a male-female relationship, it doesn't provide a game plan that will see the couple past half-time and into the fourth quarter, for the reason I mentioned: the novelty wears off.

One last thing: If, as you conjectured, black women are going out with white guys because they are pissed off at black guys, and/or because they are pissed off at white women, that sorta means that within the male/female - black/white "spectrum," white guys "win out" not because of who they are, but because of who they are not.

And, if you end up with a woman partially because of who she is pissed off at, believe me, buckaroo: eventually, she will find a reason to be pissed off at you, too.
    Last edited by Ravine; March-17-10 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Dammit!! Had a period where a comma belonged. Not acceptable...

and you absolutely do not come off, at least not in my view, as being a Bad Guy or a shit-head.
    Guess you missed that post in the past where he said women were only good for sex and housework. [[I think that was Terry, but it could also have been Perfectgentleman, Craigd or Sstashmoo. Apologies to Terry if I am remembering the wrong caveman.)

Ravine Guest

I don't remember such a post. I'll leave it up to Terryh to claim, or disavow, that one.
    In the meantime, I will stick to my statement, although maybe I should amend the ending of that sentence to, "...or any more of a shit-head than are the rest of us humans."

In any case, while I do not know the source of that "sex & housework" comment, I certainly hope that the statement, itself, is false, because godnose that if it is true, the extended meaning is that about 85% of womankind is not good for anything at all, whatsoever.

godnose?

Severely depressing thread title, BTW. It could have been so much more constructive if it were reworded.

No. I'm not his type.
    Opposites attract!

I don't know if Blacks are less proud to be black today. Perhaps society just doesn't care as much about who is Black or who is white anymore. Perhaps one reason Blacks developed a distinct culture was because they were fighting for their rights. They wanted to have their own culture and something to bind them together. Anymore, you don't have segregation or Jim Crow laws. In most places, Blacks and whites congregate together, whether it be on church, school, the store.

Maybe in the 1940s Black kids grew up with other Blacks and went to school with other Blacks, so the culture they developed was Black culture. Today schools are generally more diverse, so Black kids [[depends on the school and the area) grow up with Hispanics and whites and Asians. So, why would kids want to develop a culture that their non-Black friends could not be a part of?

I think culture has homogenized somewhat, but perhaps that's a good thing. Maybe we are not as divided by our differences as we used to be. Nothing wrong with Black culture or any other kind of culture, but maybe it just doesn't develop as easily as it used to, since people are all mixed together.

I mean, what are Black kids fighting against today? I'm sure there is still some discrimination somewhere, but not like it was decades and centuries ago. They may be fighting against Economic Discrimination, but not Racial discrimination to the point that their parents, grandparents, and generations before them felt.

Just my perspective of it.

Ravine Guest

So how is the weather, in France? Looking forward to that whole "April In Paris" thing?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast