Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Amy P View Post
    I had the extra factor of having let my insurance lapse by a few days [[stupid, I know!), so Allstate said they couldn't even insure me, period. I went with Progressive and my six-month rate was $700 cheaper than two other estimates. I don't know how this is possible, but I'm happy to be insured.
    I'm glad to hear it worked out for you Amy P.!

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    Your credit score does matter. People with lower credit scores, statistically, are a worse risk.

Responsible people do responsible things, like keep their cars in a well maintained condition. People with better credit scores are more likely to have the money to be able to do this. People with low credit scores are more likely to not have the money to do needed repairs, but will still drive around in a car that is in need of repair.

I've seen stupid people doing stupid things, like towing a broken car via tow rope on I-75. Or driving at 80 MPH on a non-full size spare [[instead of to the nearest tire shop).

Who is doing these things? Not folks with 700 or 800 credit scores. People with limited resources do these things.

I might be a little biased in the conversation because I have a good credit score and enjoy low rates for both homeowners and automobile insurance, but I most certainly keep my cars in great operating condition and immediately address issues with them when they arise.
    Sounds like you're "braggin". Everyone that has a few dings or bad credit didn't start out that way. Unfortunate things happen to good people. Just hope that nothing like that happens to you such as being laid off or loss of income by a spouse or sickness. Show some humility.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; October-15-11 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Sounds like you're "braggin". Everyone that has a few dings or bad credit didn't start out that way. Unfortunate things happen to good people. Just hope that nothing like that happens to you such as being laid off or loss of income by a spouse or sickness. Show some humility.
    Yes, but keep in mind that insurance companies aren't in the business of hugging people and making them feel good.

Insurance companies assess risk, try to attract good risks, and charge a premium for bad risks.

I understand that having bad credit can be caused by a lot of things, sometimes poor decisions, sometimes unfortunate circumstances.

Regardless, folks with good credit are more able to maintain their vehicle in a good operating condition. They're more likely to not have issues making payments. They're just plain better risks for the insurance companies.

Yes, I understand all the emotion you're injecting into the situation, but from a dollars a cents perspective, it simply doesn't matter.

Whether it's due a a streak of bad decisions, a streak of bad luck, or having a bad hand dealt, having a lower credit score makes you riskier to insure.
    Last edited by Scottathew; October-15-11 at 09:00 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2