It's with great sadness I must call attention to two of our finer creative minds who have shuffled off this mortal coil.
Pianist Bess Bonnier [[1928-2011) came of age during Detroit's golden age of jazz; her contemporaries and friends included Barry Harris, Roland Hanna, and Tommy Flanagan. Bonnier had that fine Det touch, very lyrical approach, loved those blues changes too. She was a warm friendly soul with much talent. We will miss her.

Brad was in his late fifties, way too young to leave. He had cancer and lasted about six weeks after the tumor was discovered. Like many musicians, Brad sometimes resorted to a 'day job' which allowed him to pursue his art with some degree of security. Brad played the euphonium, and played it supremely well. I always thought of Brad as a 21st century Hipster, always trying to improve his playing, write new music, looking for his next gig. He was an intellectual cat who offered opinions on many things, jazz and otherwise; Brad was warm and thoughtful, and if you were his friend he always made you feel special. His death leaves a large void in the Detroit music community, and in my life. Check out his website for music samples. www.bradfeltmusic.com