Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default HuffPost Detroit

Hello,

I wanted to reach out and let the Detroit Yes forum know that The Huffington Post is soon to launch HuffPost Detroit, a local site dedicated to our city.

I'm a native Detroiter [[grew up in Hubbard Farms) and am really looking forward to bringing the HuffPost mix of blogging, news, culture, and original reporting to the city of Detroit.

You can find [[and like!) our Facebook page here:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/HuffPo...78344278908127

The site will go live in mid-November, but I'm putting this out on the forum ahead of time because HuffPost Detroit is all about feedback and serving Detroiters and the broader community as best we can. Please don't hesitate to get in touch if you have ideas, news tips, causes or events to promote, or if you think you'd like to contribute to our group blog.

You can reach the HuffPost Detroit staff at detroit [at] huffingtonpost.com

Best,

Simone Landon
    Editor, HuffPost Detroit

Welcome to Detroit, HuffPost. Simone, welcome home. Tell us more: How many staffers will you have; what will they cover; are you hiring; where will you be located; do you think are you competition for the News and Free Press?

Is HuffPost Detroit also going to be non-union, and bust the National Writers Union as HuffPo is currently doing? Or would you like the number to the local chapters, or maybe the Newspaper Guild?

http://huffingtonpostunionofbloggers.org/

Quote Originally Posted by oldredfordette View Post
    Is HuffPost Detroit also going to be non-union, and bust the National Writers Union as HuffPo is currently doing? Or would you like the number to the local chapters, or maybe the Newspaper Guild?

http://huffingtonpostunionofbloggers.org/
    Hi OldRedfordette,
    I'd love to chat off-list if you're interested. Shoot me an email at detroit [at] huffingtonpost [dot] com

Quote Originally Posted by SimoneLandon View Post
    Hi OldRedfordette,
    I'd love to chat off-list if you're interested. Shoot me an email at detroit [at] huffingtonpost [dot] com
    Do share at some point, though. I'm interested in this as relates to the future of our media.

bartock Guest

...and people who post videos on youtube are being exploited too, right? Is there nothing positive through your lenses? I couldn't imagine finding everything in the World so insufferable.

HuffPost is not union busting. The furor over the AOL thing, blah, blah, blah. HuffPost pays its writers and editors. Because blog-sharing is volunteer some people got pissed.

it will be good to have a liberal perspective on issues here in Detroit..... hard to find around here....

The Huffington Post has somewhat interesting articles now and then, but they veer yellow too often for my taste. And the Oprah inspired health section is just awful.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sloan-..._b_995154.html

OH NOES there are "toxins" in your body!!! Chemicals, chemicals everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sloan-..._b_995154.html

OH NOES there are "toxins" in your body!!! Chemicals, chemicals everywhere!
    Do you think that rampant cancer is just a coincidence?

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Lady View Post
    Rampant cancer is a combination of a number of things. Our processed foods, the fact that we are living much longer than we use to, and the over use/abuse mentality our culture has [[over eating, smoking too much, drinking too much). However, you can't really pin it on one fact not to mention there is no proof that having these prenatal "toxins" is a cause for predisposed cancer.

More over, most of the cancer that children develop is genetically inherited and has absolutely NOTHING to do with the enviroment [[i.e. ALL, different forms of brain cancer, etc).

So yes, the article is bogus and pseudoscience in an attempt to grasp the attention of worried mothers. Scaring people into believing something that is unproven seems to be the American way.

Quote Originally Posted by p1acebo View Post
    Rampant cancer is a combination of a number of things. Our processed foods, the fact that we are living much longer than we use to, and the over use/abuse mentality our culture has [[over eating, smoking too much, drinking too much). However, you can't really pin it on one fact not to mention there is no proof that having these prenatal "toxins" is a cause for predisposed cancer.
    The article is about toxins in general, it only briefly mentions prenatal toxins. I agree that cancer being so widespread is a combination of a number of things, including everything you mentioned plus our exposure to so many chemicals. I am not pinning it on one fact.

So yes, the article is bogus and pseudoscience in an attempt to grasp the attention of worried mothers.
    from the article:
    • Of the 80,000 chemicals permitted in the U.S., the EPA required testing of only 500.
    • Every day, 42 billion pounds of chemicals are produced or imported -- we don't know the health risks of 75 percent of them.
    It is certainly your right to be so dismissive; I just don't choose to be so close-minded.

Scaring people into believing something that is unproven seems to be the American way.
    The irony here is that the safety of these thousands of chemicals is what is absolutely unproven.

My apologies to the original poster for participating in this threadjacking.

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Lady View Post
    These types of articles started popping up en masse about fifteen years ago, when new, super-sensitive models of mass spectrometers came on the market. They can detect as little as a few molecules of a substance in a given compound. You can find trace amounts of just about any compound known to man just about everywhere - from man-made and natural sources. Notice that they never say how *much* of a "toxin" was found - that's because it is usually such an insignificant amount that it wouldn't be worth writing an article about otherwise.

In any case, our average life expectancy keeps climbing and climbing...

Or Chemtrails???

Simone, I'd love to, but in the meantime, I'd like to know if Detroit HuffPo will recognize the HuffPo writers who have joined the National Writers Guild. You can post it here, if union busting is afoot, you'll make many people on this board very happy [[as well as a few very unhappy).

Quote Originally Posted by oldredfordette View Post
    Simone, I'd love to, but in the meantime, I'd like to know if Detroit HuffPo will recognize the HuffPo writers who have joined the National Writers Guild. You can post it here, if union busting is afoot, you'll make many people on this board very happy [[as well as a few very unhappy).
    And I'll just judge them on their writing. Welcome to Detroit -- there're a lot of great stories and people that have been viewed one-dimensionally for too long.

You have just dismissed the entire internet as an information-gathering source. Do you think I'm googling and pulling my info from TMZ? I don't know if you're aware yet but medical journals and scientific studies are also found through Google. [Sidenote: your condescension is incredible.]
    Hehe, I thought you said you were done with this debate? We can just agree to disagree, but just to let you know you can't access most relevant medical articles unless you have a paid subscription to websites like Jstor or PubMed [[Or be enrolled in a university they usually allow you access, other wise you usually can only view the abstract of the article). So ya, I am dismissing the first thing that pops up when you do a Google search... and that is NOT being condescending I am just letting you know where I am coming from.

Please stop the madness

I wrote to the union that represents Huffington Post writers and bloggers and they are adamant that the boycott be maintained. I am truly sorry, but a picket line is a picket line [[even if you can't see it, it's there).

lilpup Guest

Is there any pre-screening of what HuffPost uses other than just grabbing what they think people will read? I'm seeing a level of retweeting and references to the Michigan Messenger that is misrepresentative of the role that source plays in the area. I don't believe many here would chose that to be an accurate representation of us for the national level.

..just finding out about this.. definitely interested in contributing.. hopefully i'm not too late..

Default Huffpost Detroit is up and running 11-17-11

Just a heads up for those interested, the new Huffington Post Detroit page went up today. The previous thread was hijacked for 2 pages by an argument about chemicals or something, so I figured I would start a new one. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/detroit/

So, how 'bout them chemicals?

Welcome Huffpost to Detroit. Glad to have you paying attention to a great city.

Quote Originally Posted by antongast View Post
    So, how 'bout them chemicals?
    Lawlz.

Your name should be agonist .

I don't think anyone REALLY wants to talk about "chemicals," but it is all in fun.

Default Motoring Into the Motor City: Introducing HuffPost Detroit

Arianna Huffington

Today marks the rollout of our latest local section: HuffPost Detroit, fresh off the assembly line.

We motor into the Motor City with a clear editorial mission: to provide an alternative to the knee-jerk narrative the national media love to tell about Detroit. We've seen it time and time again: a reporter helicopters in and scours the city for tales of grit and decay that reinforce the Detroit of popular imagination -- or the occasional oases of progress that defy it -- and then, just as quickly, heads out of town, conventional wisdom re-confirmed. Indeed, the passing, drive-by glance at Detroit has become a mainstream media subgenre. Not much has changed since 2009, when HuffPost's Jason Linkins called Detroit the "epicenter for a nation of journalists-turned-poverty-tourists."

HuffPost Detroit will cover both sides of the city's split-screen -- for Detroit, beyond the oversimplified myth of its past, and beyond the unimaginative visions of its future, is in fact a city of incredible contrasts.

On one side is a city for which the American dream seems despairingly out of reach. Michigan's unemployment rate was 11.1 percent last month -- two points higher than the national jobless rate -- and the situation is even grimmer for the Detroit metro area. Unemployment among African American men in Detroit is approaching 50 percent. Beyond jobs, Detroit struggles with decaying infrastructure, middle-class flight, drained municipal resources, political stalemates, and failing schools.

On the other side of the split screen is the recent influx of young people into Detroit. According to 2010 Census figures, downtown Detroit has seen a 59 percent increase in residents under the age of 35 with college degrees. Projects like "15X15" are looking to bring in more young people, with the goal of drawing 15,000 new residents to the Midtown area by 2015. And blogs like Margarita Barry's "I Am Young Detroit" are giving voice to this youthful surge, highlighting the city's young entrepreneurs, leaders, and creative personalities while providing insights into the city's political and cultural landscape.

Continued at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ariann...b_1098666.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast