Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by oldredfordette View Post
    Since most people don't have land lines anymore, they have cell phones, what brand of cell phone [[which is most cases also doubles as a portable computer) would be acceptable? Obviously iPhones are out, but what if the iPhone is cracked and old? Would it be okay then?
    Actually, the last numbers I saw were that 68% still have land lines. So most people do have land lines.

Ravine Guest

Since most people don't have land lines anymore, they have cell phones, what brand of cell phone [[which is most cases also doubles as a portable computer) would be acceptable? Obviously iPhones are out, but what if the iPhone is cracked and old? Would it be okay then?
    You are clinging to sarcasm and rancor in order to absolutely refuse to acknowledge the merit of a "take" which, while not matching your own, could serve a goal which you, I thought, shared: the public embarrassment of Wall Street and the government that kid-gloved it.

I am reminded of the scene in Hemingway's "For Whom The Bell Tolls," where the furiously impulsive guerilla Joaquin accuses the band's leader, Pablo [[who has thumbs-downed a plan which he judges to be too dangerous,) of cowardice; Pablo replies [[may be slightly off-quote, here,) "But I will be alive when you are dead."

“The fact that we are here today to debate raising America 's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the US Government cannot pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government's reckless fiscal policies. Increasing America 's debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that, "the buck stops here.' Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better.”

~ Senator Barack H. Obama, March 2006!

Sen. Obama, Congressional Record, S.2237-8, 3/16/06
    http://rpc.senate.gov/public/_files/...ncreasev20.pdf
    Name:  OBAMA.jpg
Views: 8308
Size:  75.0 KB

Yeah, screw those corporations and thier jobs.
    We will be just fine with Government choosing what's fair and what's not instead of those dirty, evil corporations!

After all, isn't America that place where we demonize people who start from nothing, work thier way up and become successful, and then have the audacity to be wealthy!?!?

Screw the American dream of the past.
    Today, if you're wealthy, you're the evil elite.

The solution = Keep everyone poor!!
    Last edited by Papasito; October-03-11 at 11:41 AM.

You are clinging to sarcasm and rancor in order to absolutely refuse to acknowledge the merit of a "take" which
    Seems pretty obvious that she thinks it doesn't have merit. I don't either. The protestors seem to be gaining support from a variety of people without having to wear costumes.

http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=102x5013932

Among the protesters was Columbia University Professor Joseph Stiglitz, who received the Nobel Prize in economics in 2001. He criticized the US government for its failure to keep financial markets in check during the global financial crisis of 2008.

Stiglitz said the protests were bound to happen and long overdue, with 25 million people without regular jobs. He expressed support for the protests, noting that they may lead to greater movement toward change
    Last edited by Pam; October-03-11 at 11:51 AM.

post #78 continued-
    "I really, really understand the impulse driving them to do this, I applaud the moral fortitude, I applaud the youthful courage, and I repudiate the solutions that are being put forward. Yes, of course, the general population has been raped and pillaged by the financial sector, but what is astounding to me…[is that these protestors] know that the government has been complicit in all of this stuff, they know that the government is dependent upon the financial institutions for money to continue to bribe the general population into getting votes, they know that the government has started unjust wars and have been responsible in America for the murder of hundreds of thousands of foreigners and tens of thousands of Americans, they know that the government kidnaps people and throws them in jail for non-crimes like having unpopular bits of vegetation in their pockets, they know all of this about the government, and what is their damn solution to the problem of financial corruption? Let’s have the government do something about it. Let’s have the government put a tax on financial transaction. Let’s have the government…repeal the repeal on Glass-Steagall. Let’s have the government swoop in and do all of this wonderful stuff because these financial institutions are like wayward children who have eaten too much candy and the government, like a parent, needs to come in and take away all the Halloween bags. It’s completely insane! -Stefan Molyneux intro

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    these financial institutions are like wayward children who have eaten too much candy and the government, like a parent, needs to come in and take away all the Halloween bags
    I think that Molyneux unintentionally actually made quite an apt comparison. The children certainly aren't going to take the candy away from themselves.

It needs to be all special interests money out of elections, including unions.

For what it's worth, I am well on the record asking for all monies paid to the Democrats in my name back. In cash if possible.

Ravine, I don't think you get what I'm saying. I don't care what the protesters are wearing, I don't care what they look like and I don't care what type of cell phone they are using. They have gotten off their butts and into the street and I am eternally grateful and supportive of them. I am not interested in irrelevancies, I am looking for change. Not electoral change, look what that got us.

Ravine Guest

For what it's worth, I am well on the record asking for all monies paid to the Democrats in my name back. In cash if possible.

Ravine, I don't think you get what I'm saying. I don't care what the protesters are wearing, I don't care what they look like and I don't care what type of cell phone they are using. They have gotten off their butts and into the street and I am eternally grateful and supportive of them. I am not interested in irrelevancies, I am looking for change. Not electoral change, look what that got us.
    OK, now that you put it that way, I can hear you and I get it.
    Still, an important-- and unfortunate-- fact of life: as long as the protesters came be marginalized & written off as a bunch of mouthy rabble, their impact will be minimal.
    On the other hand, that only applies if their number is not great, so if this movement really does catch fire, make a lot of noise & get in the way, and thereby begin to get media attention on a regular basis, well, we may just be about to see something, here.
    I hope so.

Don't count on the media to help. They're the ones sending out the photos of the funny colorful hipsters.

Thank you. I don't like arguing with you when there is so much as stake. This movement is coming to a city near you [[and me) and I really don't like demonstrating in high heels.

Timing is everything. I just got this, a good read.

http://my.firedoglake.com/luckymw/20...-by-its-cover/

One last thing, this has been going on for 18 days. That's commitment.

Default The generosity of JP Morgan

"JPMorgan Chase recently donated an unprecedented $4.6 million to the New York City Police Foundation. The gift was the largest in the history of the foundation and will enable the New York City Police Department to strengthen security in the Big Apple. The money will pay for 1,000 new patrol car laptops, as well as security monitoring software in the NYPD's main data center.

New York City Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly sent CEO and Chairman Jamie Dimon a note expressing "profound gratitude" for the company's donation.

"These officers put their lives on the line every day to keep us safe," Dimon said. "We're incredibly proud to help them build this program and let them know how much we value their hard work.""

http://www.jpmorganchase.com/corporate/Home/article/ny-13.htm

JP Morgan also donated $808,799 to the candidacy of president Obama; his fifth largest contributor. In the 2010-2011 campaign cycle, Romney was JP Morgan's third largest recipient [[$44,000) and Stabenow was JP Morgan's's fifth largest beneficiary [[$27,100).
    http://www.opensecrets.org/pres08/co...?cid=N00009638

An Occupy Wall Street march today reportedly drew 15, 000 participants. Additionally, the first 2012 presidential candidate has spoken up in support of the protest and it is actually a Republican, former governor of Louisiana Buddy Roemer:
    As I continue touring college campuses throughout New Hampshire, I am reminded of all the young Americans currently taking part in the Occupy Wall Street movement. Please know that I stand by you.

It is Main Street that creates the majority of jobs in America; it is Main Street that sends our brave young men and women to war; it is Main Street that hurts when another manufacturing plant closes only to be re-opened in China; it is Main Street that is being foreclosed on; and it is Main Street that is suffering while the greed of Wall Street continues to hurt our middle-class.

Too-big-to-fail banks have only gotten bigger thanks to government bailouts, and as president, I will end the corporate tax loopholes that un-American corporations take advantage of only to ship our jobs overseas. Fair trade not Free trade.

Money in politics has created institutional corruption. Both parties are guilty of taking the big check and are bought by Wall Street. My campaign is the only one that speaks out against this and I look forward to the day lobbyists are not allowed to donate to campaigns.

Wall Street grew to be a source of capital for growing companies. It has become something else: A facilitator for greed and for the selling of American jobs. Enough already.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1....html#liveblog

Related to something that Buddy Roemer mentioned [[above), the petition to get money out of politics has reached 116,000 signatures and Dylan Ratigan [[who started the petition) has asked each person that has signed it to reach out to at least one other person and ask them to sign it.

sign the petition here: http://www.getmoneyout.com/

update from Dylan Ratigan: http://www.dylanratigan.com/2011/10/...e-wave-surges/

Thom Hartmann with Dylan Ratigan - Get The Money Out!

Essentially he points out that the root problem is that our democracy has been reduced to a mere auction.

He is seriously passionate about this. You can hear it in his voice.

Default Decolonize Wall Street!

The Occupy Wall Street movement has taken root across the nation. Organizers say protestors are drawing attention to the 1% of the population who have destroyed the country and its values through greed.
    While many people in Indian Country can sympathize with the protestors’ claims, there is also some growing criticism for the idea behind its name, which overlooks the first occupants of the Wall Street area. This has given rise to the response from Native bloggers and activists to not Occupy Wall Street but Decolonize Wall Street.

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwor...paign=fb-posts

The protesters should be occupying Washington demanding that their Congress people pass campaign finance reform and stop pandering to big money.

Occupy DC has been protesting there since October 1st.

It's amazing how the Occupy Wall Street movement is getting positive press, but those dirty rotten evil domestic terrorist scoundrels in the Tea Party have received negative press since day 1.

It's also amazing how Obama is trying to twist this movement to support his policies,
    when Obama and Bush's policies created the bailouts!

These people should be protesting Washington, not Wall Street.
    After all, it's Washington's tax codes that allow these Corporations to do what they do!!

And it probably won't change anytime soon, because companies like GE, Apple, Exxon, Citigroup, and Goldman Sachs who pay nothing or next to it [[in taxes) throw a boatload of cash to political campaigns!!

Occupy Washington.
    Please.

Ok SO I just signed it. its not too late is it? I believe in a republic for the people, by the people instead of for the corporation by the corporation...

Quote Originally Posted by Papasito View Post
    It's amazing how the Occupy Wall Street movement is getting positive press, but those dirty rotten evil domestic terrorist scoundrels in the Tea Party have received negative press since day 1.

It's also amazing how Obama is trying to twist this movement to support his policies,

After all, it's Washington's tax codes that allow these Corporations to do what they do!!

And it probably won't change anytime soon, because companies like GE, Apple, Exxon, Citigroup, and Goldman Sachs who pay nothing or next to it [[in taxes) throw a boatload of cash to political campaigns!!

Occupy Washington.
    Please.
    +1 +1 +1

its useless.......

Quote Originally Posted by Papasito View Post

Occupy Washington.
    Please.
    Perhaps you need to look at it from outside of the box... protesting the CORRUPTORSand the CORRUPTEES.

*sigh*. Do I have to say it? Naaah. Right over his head.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast