Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    You just got a hole-in-one. That seems to be the case. When the Director of the department that handles the inspections makes the statement that everything is fine. Why would anyone else think otherwise?
    Because on August 30th the inspector told her to shut down the Hostel portion of the building. That was well after the opening where the director made the comments.
    An inspector returned Aug. 30, found corrections ordered earlier weren't made and warned staffers to stop operating. He issued a misdemeanor ticket Tuesday.
    Look, "confusion" or not, she ignored the order to shut down the Hostel part. And let's not ignore what the citiation was for. It's not like there were no label on the bathrooms.
    It lacked manual fire alarms, a fire detection system, sprinkler system, exit signs and emergency lighting.
    It would appear there is a near total absence of fire safety systems. Not exactly a nit picky detail and I'd would think that if any of the usual slumlords had the same violation, there would be a lot less forgiveness here. Frankly, regardless what is code, I'd question what seems to be a clear lack of concern about guest or apartment tenant safety.
    Last edited by bailey; September-26-11 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Frankly, regardless what is code, I'd question what seems to be a clear lack of concern about guest or apartment tenant safety.
    I agree with your sentiment but would stop short of the above statement. The whole point is that long-term apartments don't have a need for sprinkler system, fire detection, and exit signs.

It seems strange that one building would have two sets of requirements for the different sections....[[this is an apartment, no sprinklers necessary...the identical room on the floor below is a hostel...sprinklers and alarms, please)

But I guess it does follow common sense that the long-term apartment tenants would be familiar with how to exit the property in case of a fire, where the 24-hour guest might need the exit signs to know how to get out.

In any case, I can see why the whole thing is confusing and only worsened if the city officials are giving them contradictory information. In any case, it appears that this whole thing will be resolved in a matter of weeks. Hardly slumlord material.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Because on August 30th the inspector told her to shut down the Hostel portion of the building. That was well after the opening where the director made the comments.
    Look, "confusion" or not, she ignored the order to shut down the Hostel part. And let's not ignore what the citiation was for. It's not like there were no label on the bathrooms.

It would appear there is a near total absence of fire safety systems. Not exactly a nit picky detail and I'd would think that if any of the usual slumlords had the same violation, there would be a lot less forgiveness here. Frankly, regardless what is code, I'd question what seems to be a clear lack of concern about guest or apartment tenant safety.
    But you have to bear in mind that all of these issues were the same when the Director made her statements. If all this was the case then perhaps they shouldn't have been allowed to open.

The city showed up for the photo-op and blew smoke and then they pulled the rug out from under the Hostel. If the City is going to do things the right way, it should be with all things all the time.

I hope this gets resolved quickly, because Emily is too cute for prison.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    She does look really cute.

And more to the point, the article was very positive. There have been some bumps in the road, and the city's working with her to resolve them. I see a lot to like in the city's attitude on this.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    LOL That only works in Flor-e-duh .