My grandparents lived on Syracuse, right near the Transfiguration Church. I spent most weekends while growing up at my grandparents house, so I know this neighborhood well and have many of my fondest childhood memories in this area. My grandparents were very active in the church for a long time. My grandpa was an usher and in the KofC, my grandma was in the Madonna Guild and always helped with the annual church festivals. My grandmother sold her house in 1995 or so, a couple of years after my grandfather passed. As much as the neighbors looked out for her, it was just too much to take care of that old house by herself. She passed in 2009 so her funeral at the church was the last time I was down there and had noticed that most of the buildings in the 'projects' had been torn down. Things didn't look too bad in the immediate vicinity. A little more worse for wear, sure, but still reasonably OK. I think Fr. Andy at Transfiguration has done a remarkable job at keeping that parish afloat and thriving, and has done a lot to ensure that the church works the neighborhood. I remember in the late 80's or so, they fixed the church bells, and the first time they started ringing again, people just walked out of their houses and stood there listening, transfixed. Hopefully this development gets things in the right direction for the surrounding area.

Thanks for sharing the news.