Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

said White Mazzarella. "For us, this is a platform for the community."

What the heck is this guy thinking? In what way would this be a platform for the community? I have to agree with jt1. These "artists" are being disingenuous.

Ravine Guest

Mauser, I know you are into arty-type stuff, so I'm glad to see that you note the clear difference between art and a pack of self-important bullshitters descending on any area to "do their thing."
    If Coltrane would have tried to record "My Favorite Things" on the street-corner outside the studio where he actually recorded it, someone woiuld have either called the cops or shot at his ass.
    That statement isn't directly relevant to the discussion at hand, but just a thought. Folks can't just do whatever the fuck they want out in public, or private, places and umbrella it as "street art."
    And the entire enterprise would be seen differently if it didn't look like a bunch of childish horseshit, but that's exactly what it looks like.

My Favorite Things, is.

Understand this: In contemporary art controversy trumps quality.

The more loudly opponents whine about it, the more attention the artists get, the more 'misunderstood' they are, the more their opposition grows and the more attention they get. And an upward spiral of attention results.

The best thing that could happen for them is for someone to attack the installation, police to ticket it, or better yet arrest them. Such an event could break it out of the local market and take it viral, nationally or higher. Then they become the persecuted artists who were just trying to use peace flags to sympathetically "call attention to Detroit's social and economic problems" [As if there anyone who isn't living under a rock who is unaware of that].

So carry on beating on them until you fuel enough controversy to fund their next grant.

Ravine Guest

Thanks, Gnome.
    If "it" gets any better than that, I don't need to know about "it."

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Understand this: In contemporary art controversy trumps quality.

The more loudly opponents whine about it, the more attention the artists get, the more 'misunderstood' they are, the more their opposition grows and the more attention they get. And an upward spiral of attention results.

The best thing that could happen for them is for someone to attack the installation, police to ticket it, or better yet arrest them. Such an event could break it out of the local market and take it viral, nationally or higher. Then they become the persecuted artists who were just trying to use peace flags to sympathetically "call attention to Detroit's social and economic problems" [As if there anyone who isn't living under a rock who is unaware of that].

So carry on beating on them until you fuel enough controversy to fund their next grant.
    Good point, L.

Here on DY, it's like we're having a little get-together where we hash things out, compare thoughts & ideas, and-- like over-aggressive cyber-monkeys-- throw shit at each other.
    But, for the very reason you cited, I would hate to see any more publicly-visible action taken in opposition to, or protest of, this obnoxious little display of puerile self-indulgence.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    So what do you suggest then, in regards to remediating this situation, if the actions you stated above will only aid them in their quest for attention? It's like you're saying "the art is there, it's too late, and there it will stay just so we don't give them what they really want." I think the people who live in that neighborhood would have a serious problem with this.

The "art" is eventually going to disappear from that property, somehow. Mark my words.

Or it could be improved. One thing I thought of, if those tires could be made into a cool stacked fence along the side property line. Maybe hang the prayer flags a bit less aggressively. I like them flying along a line over the front entryway. It would take the neighbors a little time and energy, and maybe they could have a little picnic too.

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    So what do you suggest then, in regards to remediating this situation, if the actions you stated above will only aid them in their quest for attention? It's like you're saying "the art is there, it's too late, and there it will stay just so we don't give them what they really want." I think the people who live in that neighborhood would have a serious problem with this.

The "art" is eventually going to disappear from that property, somehow. Mark my words.
    I don't wish to speak for Lowell, but I didn't infer from his comments that he is suggesting that folks in the neighborhood, or anywhere else, should just lay down and put up with things to which they object. I think what he is saying is that the community-at-large should think carefully about just how much attention they draw to the activities of a group of folks whose primary goal may be to draw attention to themselves.
    I don't think this DY thread is making enough of a public splash to serve that end, but any serious media coverage of the tempest-in-a-teapot furor would, indeed, play directly into the hands of "Arne" & his pals.

^^ ^^

Lowell seems like he has an objective opinion. I'm asking if he has any ideas on how he thinks the physical presence of the art should be dealt with.

I already read all of your opinions Ravine

"...cheeze wizz faux art gypsies..." LMFAO
    Last edited by detroitsgwenivere; September-22-11 at 06:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    Or it could be improved. One thing I thought of, if those tires could be made into a cool stacked fence along the side property line. .
    These guys use tires to build houses:

http://youtu.be/h7jAkwhTq4c

Am I actually reading here that some folks think the neighbors should rise up and defend their homeland from these interlopers? To put down the afront of Tibetian peace flags in the name of ... what exactly? Respect? Or is it disrespect?

Lowell says, "pay no attention" and they'll go away. Go where? Farmingham Pointe perchance?

Like these neighbors would even know what to do considering they have such poor eyesight when the house next door is scrapped - or such poor memory - the sad souls can barely remember the 1st and 15th.

Maybe they could hold a canglelight vigil. Detroit is great at candlelight considering the streetlights don't work.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3