Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

It would be better if the races came back Downtown. It was a lot more fun than the having them on Belle Isle.

Quote Originally Posted by louis View Post
    and what makes Austin a better place than Detroit, Austin doesnt have the garages and neither did Indionapolis but they still had the races there.
    It would be just outside of Austin, a purpose built roadcourse with all the grandstands, facilities, etc. Nothing has been finalised yet. Indianapolis has the garages near the pits.

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    It would be better if the races came back Downtown. It was a lot more fun than the having them on Belle Isle.
    They were downtown before my time, but I would be thrilled to see that. It would seemingly be awesome.

I was a volunteer for the GP for three years. Got full access over the weekend in exchange for a few hours work the week before the race. I worked a track truck and we dumped kitty litter on any wet spots after a crash. Got some great photos. Good times!

Looks like it's coming back next year. God I hate that concrete slab on the island. Why not make a new track within the city limits? There's TONS of empty space to do something with.

Darren A. Nichols/ The Detroit News
    Detroit — Gentlemen, start your engines. The Detroit Grand Prix is returning to Belle Isle next summer.
    Officials have called a press conference for 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, where the return of the event is expected to be announced. Last month, the Detroit City Council approved a request from racing officials, clearing one of the first hurdles in bringing the race back to Belle Isle June 1-3. SPEED TV has reported the race is officially scheduled June 3; a race at Fontana, Calif., will also be added for Sept. 15.
    IndyCar races were held on Belle Isle from 1990-2001 and again in 2007 and 2008. The city also hosted Formula One races downtown in the 1980s.
    Roger Penske, the Bloomfield Hills owner of auto racing team Penske Racing, has made no secret of his desire to bring back auto racing to the city.
    An attempt in 2010 failed, but he hinted in August during a Motorsports Hall of Fame induction ceremony that it might return.
    Mayor Dave Bing, and Mark Reuss, president of GM North America; Randy Bernard, CEO of INDYCAR; and Penske are expected to be in attendance for the news conference set for the Ambassador Ballroom of the Detroit Marriott Renaissance Center.
    dnichols@detnews.com
    [[313) 222-2073

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20111007/...#ixzz1a8IAVxbm

http://www.detnews.com/article/20111...Isle-next-year

This is great news!

Maybe the Uniroyal site could be used to have the Grand Prix. It is vacant and larger enough to hold a wide circular track for the car to race on it.

Quote Originally Posted by muskie1 View Post
    Most people come and watch the race and leave with no desire to see Detroit.
    On the other hand, in order to enter/leave Belle Isle, they're forced to drive through the neighborhoods, and they quickly learn that things are not as bad as they thought [[still bad, but not as bad).

Problem with downtown is they can just hop on the freeway entrance and exit without actually traveling more an a mile through the city.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Maybe the Uniroyal site could be used to have the Grand Prix. It is vacant and larger enough to hold a wide circular track for the car to race on it.
    No it's not... except for go-carts...

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    On the other hand, in order to enter/leave Belle Isle, they're forced to drive through the neighborhoods, and they quickly learn that things are not as bad as they thought [[still bad, but not as bad).

Problem with downtown is they can just hop on the freeway entrance and exit without actually traveling more an a mile through the city.
    Other than Lafayette Park, there really isn't a neighborhood to drive through to get to Belle Isle, unless you're driving from the Pointes.

Quote Originally Posted by eastland View Post
    Other than Lafayette Park, there really isn't a neighborhood to drive through to get to Belle Isle, unless you're driving from the Pointes.
    How about that neighborhood of former stately homes, duplexes and nursing homes along E. Grand Blvd.?

Quote Originally Posted by eastland View Post
    Unless they're westsiders or live downtown, I doubt many people would head towards downtown [[on Jefferson) to leave Belle Isle.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Unless they're westsiders or live downtown, I doubt many people would head towards downtown [[on Jefferson) to leave Belle Isle.
    Well that depends.... if you live in Macomb County or Troy/Pontiac... you may want to backtrack to the Chrysler Freeway to the Ford. Going down Jefferson thru the Pointes may be a nice drive, but the timing of the lights can be a pain, and it's slow going. And I bet that most suburbanites tend to avoid taking E. Grand Blvd. up to I-94... the fear factor...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2