Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by marciana View Post
    One of the most difficult things to stomach is the disregard for human lives on the part of Matty Maroun, especially with those he hires in Houston in the trucking industry. His terminal manager named Shurman owns some trucks which he way over-insures in anticipation of accidents to make more money that way than in delivering loads, according to his staff and the girls at Mason-Dixon as well. The emaciated foreign lady he hired and is in love with proudly idolizes a small group of individuals here in Texas, as of course Matty's team is aware, despised by the state department for sponsoring many visas of those who wound up in Guantanamo for terrorism: the problem of those like Shurman who pledge allegiance to al-Qaeda is that such cultural values trickle down to the nitty-gritty of Maroun's whole operation, in disregard for American and Canadian lives. For instance, to try so hard to cause wrecks, according to Shurman's own mechanic, Shurman rigged one of the speedometers of his trucks to fail [[and also accidentally broke the fuel gauge as well), to cash in on the insurance payouts when praying for a wreck in the 18-wheeler.

The sentiment held is that when such an 18-wheeler turns over and spins around on the highway with passenger cars behind it flying off the highway--that all those people are expendible as far as human lives go, no matter who happens to be innocently behind such a huge truck. So sad to see.
    I would love to see the impact of a broken speedometer and a prayer on an accident. That was entertaining at best.

Quote Originally Posted by marciana View Post
    One of the most difficult things to stomach is the disregard for human lives on the part of Matty Maroun, especially with those he hires in Houston in the trucking industry. His terminal manager named Shurman owns some trucks which he way over-insures in anticipation of accidents to make more money that way than in delivering loads, according to his staff and the girls at Mason-Dixon as well. The emaciated foreign lady he hired and is in love with proudly idolizes a small group of individuals here in Texas, as of course Matty's team is aware, despised by the state department for sponsoring many visas of those who wound up in Guantanamo for terrorism: the problem of those like Shurman who pledge allegiance to al-Qaeda is that such cultural values trickle down to the nitty-gritty of Maroun's whole operation, in disregard for American and Canadian lives. For instance, to try so hard to cause wrecks, according to Shurman's own mechanic, Shurman rigged one of the speedometers of his trucks to fail [[and also accidentally broke the fuel gauge as well), to cash in on the insurance payouts when praying for a wreck in the 18-wheeler.

The sentiment held is that when such an 18-wheeler turns over and spins around on the highway with passenger cars behind it flying off the highway--that all those people are expendible as far as human lives go, no matter who happens to be innocently behind such a huge truck. So sad to see.
    I see that this is "marciana's" first post [[and welcome to you, by the way). How about we just skip over this and continue with the conversation at hand.

No offense to you marciana, but even if what you is true, I believe that there many posters on this board who can't handle responding to this in any rational capacity.

So has anyone seen any improvement's made to any of Maroun's properties other than MCS as of late?

Quote Originally Posted by RO_Resident View Post
    Just what exactly are local roads? Subdivision streets? Anything that is not a freeway? You know one when you see one?

The colloquial usage of 'local road' is quite vague. The federal definition is quite specific.

A quick lookup of the National Functional Classification of MDOT's roads in the region, there is less than 1 mile of local roads under MDOT's jurisdiction.

The state Act51 designation of roads in the state makes no distinction for the type of traffic a road carries for MDOT roads. This is not true for county or city/village-owned roads.

I see that $4.8 million is being spent by MDOT on the crossing. That includes federal and state dollars. http://www.semcog.org/Data/Apps/tran...password=guest

MDOT Cuts Back on Highway Projects Due to Lack of Funds

Michigan transportation officials have voted to delay more than 200 road and bridge projects previously planned for the next five years because the state is running low on money.
    Michigan could go from spending roughly $1.4 billion on roads this year with the help of federal stimulus money to less than $600 million three out of the next four years. The state is in danger of losing federal matching funds for roads because it doesn’t spend enough of its own money on projects, and could lose money for rail and bus transit as well.

By the way, that weak little SEMCOG link that you're going with doesn't speak to the 40+ million that was spent on just studying the DRIC. That's right, that much money just to pretend that they were ever going to consider anything besides the Delray area.

Look, we all know how Matty is and what his motivations are. We know he's not doing this for the benefit of the public at large. But some of you look crazy as hell trying to pretend that some of these potholes which are growing into sinkholes, all of a sudden don't need to be repaired simply because it was Matty that made the statement.

If I'm not mistaken, one of the ads about the roads shows the closed off portion of Vernor Highway under the RR tracks ajacent to MCS.

You seem to think that we are piling on to Matty just because our roads are rotten. No, it's because he uses that statement to enrich himself, that sticks in my craw.

Look, we all know how Matty is and what his motivations are. We know he's not doing this for the benefit of the public at large. But some of you look crazy as hell trying to pretend that some of these potholes which are growing into sinkholes, all of a sudden don't need to be repaired simply because it was Matty that made the statement.

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    We're not saying that our roads don't need to be fixed. What we are saying is that the building of NITC won't effect repairing local roads.

Matty is doing and saying anything possible to keep his monopoly.

Look at what he's done in Windsor and Detroit; he buys up house after house in areas of interest. For example, where he wants to put another Ambassador span he's bought up any house in the neighborhood he can, boards them up and leaves them to decay, and lets the folks left in the neighborhood just deal with it.

Big and 48091. I'm not saying that Matty's not full of shit. But we all need to acknowledge that there have been lies and bullshit produced by both sides throughout this whole bridge fiasco. However, a big difference is that the state of Michigan has a different set of responsibilities than the Bridge Company. Responsibilities that they've decided to neglect for the sake of the DRIC/NITC. It's not Matty's job to fix raggedy-assed I-94, that's MDOT's job and that fact doesn't change just because we all think that Matty is the scum of the earth. No free passes.

Big and 48091. I'm not saying that Matty's not full of shit. But we all need to acknowledge that there have been lies and bullshit produced by both sides throughout this whole bridge fiasco. However, a big difference is that the state of Michigan has a different set of responsibilities than the Bridge Company. Responsibilities that they've decided to neglect for the sake of the DRIC/NITC. It's not Matty's job to fix raggedy-assed I-94, that's MDOT's job and that fact doesn't change just because we all think that Matty is the scum of the earth. No free passes.
    Point well taken, kraig. But the facts stated so far pertain to Matty himself, and not to various Government agency's, which would be a thread by itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    Point well taken, kraig. But the facts stated so far pertain to Matty himself, and not to various Government agency's, which would be a thread by itself.
    Okay, I see where you're coming from. My mistake was that, given the title of the thread, I was under the impression that discussion of the road conditions were a part of the subject as well. But as it turns out, this is really a just a "Matty ain't shit." thread.

Carry on.

bartock Guest

MDOT Cuts Back on Highway Projects Due to Lack of Funds

Michigan transportation officials have voted to delay more than 200 road and bridge projects previously planned for the next five years because the state is running low on money.
    Michigan could go from spending roughly $1.4 billion on roads this year with the help of federal stimulus money to less than $600 million three out of the next four years. The state is in danger of losing federal matching funds for roads because it doesn’t spend enough of its own money on projects, and could lose money for rail and bus transit as well.

By the way, that weak little SEMCOG link that you're going with doesn't speak to the 40+ million that was spent on just studying the DRIC. That's right, that much money just to pretend that they were ever going to consider anything besides the Delray area.

The DRIC studies were federally funded. I have never read anything anywhere that suggested that those funds would have gone into Michigan roads had they not been used for the DRIC.

I thought the deal was that Canada was going to loan the MI portion of the money, to be paid back via future toll collections that the state is obviously not getting now, and qualifying Michigan for all federal dollars for "local roads"...at least that was what the public was being sold on. Win-Win, no road money lost. Did something change?

But as it turns out, this is really a just a "Matty ain't shit." thread.
    I have no problem with the man himself, just with the legacy he left to his community. So far, so bad. And Stamper, I would not want his job, if I was paid a million dollars. Which I'm sure he is paid.

In response to Bartock. Not so much changed, but moreso, unclarified. There's confusion on whether taxpayers will be on the hook to subsidize the difference for the lack of toll collections. While it's been verbally said that we won't be, it somehow has never been translated into writing. Go figure.

Kraig,

You've fallen for the myth that the NITC bridge uses fund that could be used for local roads. It does not.

It's exactly what Matty wants you to think.

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    Kraig,

You've fallen for the myth that the NITC bridge uses fund that could be used for local roads. It does not.

It's exactly what Matty wants you to think.
    Haven't fallen for anything. I just realize that MDOT has more responsibilities than the DRIC/NITC. At some point, which is past due, MDOT needs to do a better job of addressing those responsibilities. And let's not forget, those employees of MDOT and their manhours that have been dedicated to the DRIC are being paid for out of state budgeted money. And as far as NITC bridge funds go, also remember, it's a loan. If the state is going to borrow money at my expense, I would prefer that it's done on the roads that I drive everyday. Since I'll be the one paying the loan back.

You'll have to forgive me if I don't naively view this entire situation as a good vs. evil scenario. I see this as a case of the haves trying to get what they can and not giving a damn about the have nots. If you look at the history of Public Private Partnerships [[PPP's), you'll see that the public entities are simply their to provide eminent domain muscle and taxpayer dollars to private entity. So whether it's Maroun or the Corrigan Group, it's about the money.

the NITC loan from Ontario will be paid back via bridge tolls, not tax dollars.

But keep going Kraig, don't let facts get in your way.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    the NITC loan from Ontario will be paid back via bridge tolls, not tax dollars.

But keep going Kraig, don't let facts get in your way.
    What if the bridge tolls are not enough to pay back the loan? Who pays then? Show me some facts on that.

Rhetorical question: Why can't billionaires be satisfied with their billions without craving more?

What if building the bridge brings in the money we need to fix the roads? A saying is coming to mind.... something about a horse and a cart maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    What if building the bridge brings in the money we need to fix the roads? A saying is coming to mind.... something about a horse and a cart maybe?
    Canada's proposed loan will be paid back from toll revenue it will be years before a US positive monetary benefit will occure and if it does not cover expenses you will if it becomes profitable it will probably be run like a non profit with expenses eating up anything extra.

Personally I think if money is thrown at something it should be thrown at neighborhood stabilization,police and fire ,things that affect 95% of the population everyday in quality of life issues maybe a few years down the road and times are a bit more productive then revisit . That 2.5 mil could have been redistributed to pay for a new ambulance fleet or updated police dispatch fleet at this point in time

I think if I was sitting on a curb with a gunshot wound given the option of viewing a new bridge or knowing the EMS will not break down on its way, well I guess it takes a lot of thought.

On the jobs creation aspect, well come down to Tampa and visit Bush Gardens while you are here take a look at the new Cross Town connector that was touted as a job creator and see how many local workers are actually working there very few if any.

IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    No one on either side, this includes MDOT, the Feds and Canada, has projected that the NITC will be able to sustain itself. In fact, a big part of the problem has been that the private developers can't see the bridge making enough money and want some assurances that the government will subsidize the bridge to the point where it will show them a profit.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    They haven't done diddly on the MCS in weeks. They put frames in for new windows on the ground level but that's all they are- frames with no glass. I don't expect anything else to happen- it was just noise to get them some good PR in the moment.
    I saw them there working on Tuesday.

Stromberg2

No one on either side, this includes MDOT, the Feds and Canada, has projected that the NITC will be able to sustain itself. In fact, a big part of the problem has been that the private developers can't see the bridge making enough money and want some assurances that the government will subsidize the bridge to the point where it will show them a profit.
    Odd, if there's not enough demand then why Does Matty want to build a second Ambassador span?

The need and demand is there. We just need to get these money grubbers to shut up and stand aside.

One major thing that hasn't been said, and something that directly refute's kraig's point, is that the government funded bridge will leverage more funds for local roads. One amazing thing Snyder did shortly after taking office was convince the Feds to use the entire government funded bridge project as a qualifying highway matching expenditure. This then allows MI to access federal transportation funds on $1 Michigan dollar to $3 to $5 Federal dollars. And these are dollars that are to be used on non-international bridge projects.

So Moroun's ad is completely false and a complete lie. Allowing the government funded international bridge will bring millions more in federal road dollars that wouldn't otherwise come to MI. Going with Moroun's bridge will lead to no additional federal dollars and actually result in a further major drop in road dollars available to the State of MI.

You know - I have too many pics on my hard drive. Give me a request and I'll do my best. Cryptozoology and Garwood are the foremost. Sorry, Stonefront.

Quote Originally Posted by BVos View Post
    One major thing that hasn't been said, and something that directly refute's kraig's point, is that the government funded bridge will leverage more funds for local roads. One amazing thing Snyder did shortly after taking office was convince the Feds to use the entire government funded bridge project as a qualifying highway matching expenditure. This then allows MI to access federal transportation funds on $1 Michigan dollar to $3 to $5 Federal dollars. And these are dollars that are to be used on non-international bridge projects.

So Moroun's ad is completely false and a complete lie. Allowing the government funded international bridge will bring millions more in federal road dollars that wouldn't otherwise come to MI. Going with Moroun's bridge will lead to no additional federal dollars and actually result in a further major drop in road dollars available to the State of MI.
    There's an article in today's paper that states the same thing. But, none of that is being presented in writing and no one has been able to produce real details on it. Anyone is able to say anything, but, things need to be in writing for purposes of contracts or legislation. Talk is cheap. The easiest way to refute the campaign ads by Maroun would be for Snyder to present his facts in writing [[his proposal) to the house and the senate with details of how it will work. He hasn't done that in the nine months that he's been in office and Graholm never did it the entire time she was there. At this point it's put up or shut up.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast