Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Obviously your mother couldpay her taxes! When you can't pay and can't pay the mortgage - its time to move! Why should you Mom have gotten a free ride [[I know she didn't, but you seem to think the other old lady should) just because she "just wants to be in her house?'
    Last edited by SWMAP; September-14-11 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve bennet View Post
    +1

Seeing what has happened during the past 5 years, I don't know why anyone would want to buy a house. Especially when you see stories like this, where you can spend 60-years of your life working your ass off for your home, just to have the government come by and take it away when you're elderly. This country is a joke.
    As someone who has lived in apartments and houses, I would much rather live in my own house. I understand some people love renting, it's just not for me.

ferntruth Guest

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    As someone who has lived in apartments and houses, I would much rather live in my own house. I understand some people love renting, it's just not for me.

Agree completely. Home ownership is not the evil that some here would portray it to be. the problem isn't home ownership, its that some people are incapable of doing it responsibly. That means not constantly refinancing to pull equity out, not buying beyond your means, and keeping current with payments, taxes, etc.

Those of us that did that are not upside down in our mortgages and are sitting in our homes rather than on the street.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    ... She had folks come in to help her shower, physical therapy, nursing assistance, etc....
    Today there are even doctors that make house calls!

Visiting Physicians Association

The root of most of these problems is some shyster at the bank putting these elderly people in bad loans. They lived in a time where you could trust people at the bank.

Steve bennet Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    Yes.

So at what age do you propose that folks no longer have to meet their obligations? 80? 90? Then we can just stop paying our bills because it's too taboo to do something negative to us.

Be angry at the family that didn't take care of their own flesh and blood, not the government.
    No, ill be angry at the government. Whoever is in charge of that thing has to power to let her remain in her house.

I'm sure you're the type of person who could kick a 101 year-old woman out of her house and sleep like a baby at night. I want to party with you.

Steve bennet Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ferntruth View Post
    Agree completely. Home ownership is not the evil that some here would portray it to be. the problem isn't home ownership, its that some people are incapable of doing it responsibly. That means not constantly refinancing to pull equity out, not buying beyond your means, and keeping current with payments, taxes, etc.

Those of us that did that are not upside down in our mortgages and are sitting in our homes rather than on the street.
    Those of you who did that are probably not the ones who lost their job in one of the worst recessions since the Depression.

Try making house payments when you loose your job, see how far you get.

No, ill be angry at the government. Whoever is in charge of that thing has to power to let her remain in her house.

I'm sure you're the type of person who could kick a 101 year-old woman out of her house and sleep like a baby at night. I want to party with you.
    OK, so once again, at what age do you propose that people no longer have to pay their bills? 80? 90?

Under your system, folks at a certain age are unevictable, and can stop paying their bills. Never mind the fact that we already give out social security and other assistance, now folks can stop paying their bills and still get to keep all there stuff.

Like I said before, shame on the family that should have been taking care of their loved one. My family does this. We support our elder and mentally disabled both financially as well as beyond financially. It's the right thing to do.

I care about this lady. I wish her the best. However, if her lifestyle is unsustainable then she needs to find other living arrangements.

Quote Originally Posted by mtm View Post
    If you read the story on channel 7's site: http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region/...-from-her-home, you'll see that:
    "... in 2003, Texana’s son Warren admits he convinced his mom to sign that house over to a “reverse mortgage” company in return for a sum of $32,000. Money he claims would go to repair the house. But that money went to more than just the house. Warren admits he bought a car, made a donation to the church and spent the remaining five thousand dollars on other things."
    AND although I didn't catch it in the Channel 7 story, some comments seem to indicate tht her son was also withholding her mail so tht she never saw the notices.

Sorry but IMHO, its pretty much the deadbest son's fault.
    I think you're right. I saw him interviewed on the Freep website video. He freely acknowledged that he ignored the eviction notices because he "didn't think anyone would put a 101 yr old woman out on the street". Well, guess again. When it comes down to an institution wanting money owed to them, they don't care how young, old, sick, etc you are. Remember that 93 yr old guy in Bay City who froze to death in his house because the utility company up there turned his utilities off during January. This son took a gamble with not making the payment & lost, not only for himself, but his mom & brother too.

Those of you who did that are probably not the ones who lost their job in one of the worst recessions since the Depression.

Which is why for some people throwing the keys at their house is the best option they have. You can live in it for at least 6 months after you stop making payments. Ride it out until your evicted, and save money so you can get into an apartment that's within your budget.

Home ownership is not a right or guarantee. Hell, for some it's not even a goal that they want. Some like the flexibility of renting, while others choose it because it's realistically what they can afford and they don't have the financial discipline or ability to make a commitment like buying a house.

My whole point is that eviction from your home isn't the end of the world, but rather the beginning of renting. For many it will be a financial blessing so they can get a monthly rent payment that's far less than their mortgage. Renting also relives folks of many of the unexpected expenses of home ownership.

She can go home and stay for the rest of her life!

http://www.freep.com/article/2011091...text|FRONTPAGE

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    She can go home and stay for the rest of her life!

http://www.freep.com/article/2011091...text|FRONTPAGE
    Well, I stand corrected. I guess her son did win the gamble & was right that no one would put a 101 yr old woman out of her house. I wonder if they can get any of their stuff back.

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    ... if her lifestyle is unsustainable then she needs to find other living arrangements.
    I think at the age of 101, the chances of her being capable of doing anything, let alone that, are pretty slim. It seems even her family is incapable of that. At least her son seems to be showing some regret about the situation.

I think most of us here share at least that regret. Others may not.

There's an old phrase we don't often hear anymore: "What sets us apart from animals."

I think we just learned something about ourselves thanks to this happy ending.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I think at the age of 101, the chances of her being capable of doing anything, let alone that, are pretty slim. It seems even her family is incapable of that. At least her son seems to be showing some regret about the situation.
    Oh, well if she's incapable of anything we should let her continue to live in her house alone.

Oh, she's not alone, she has a family helping her.

Well, then her family should either help her PAY HER BILLS, or find her another living arrangement. It's that simple.

Well, some of us learned.

Today there are even doctors that make house calls!

Visiting Physicians Association
    Not without a $10,000 retainer.When does anybody get a Dr. Welby consultation? Not even in my dreams. Get real, Jimaz. Do no harm, my ass. The money rules now. And prove me wrong.

$$$$$
    Last edited by Bigb23; September-15-11 at 12:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    Obviously your mother couldpay her taxes! When you can't pay and can't pay the mortgage - its time to move! Why should you Mom have gotten a free ride [[I know she didn't, but you seem to think the other old lady should) just because she "just wants to be in her house?'
    I don't know where you got all that out of my comments? Go back and reread them... this family got what was legally coming to them... unfortunately it nearly killed the mother.

My point was that uprooting many elderly comes with some consequences.... it can either kill or seriously harm them [[such as putting this lady in the hospital). I hope this woman can make it back to her house to continue living there with whatever time she has left... although her son[[s) certainly aren't capable of managing her finances.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    Not without a $10,000 retainer....
    I think that's a bit of an exaggeration but I agree with your general point that health costs in this country are way beyond reason. I doubt anyone would disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I think that's a bit of an exaggeration but I agree with your general point that health costs in this country are way beyond reason. I doubt anyone would disagree.
    I disagree.

JUST KIDDING!

Right, I hear no remorse for people who thru no fault of their own, have been put in a bad situation they couldn't control [[job loss or illness). Owning a home is fine, if you're willing to pay the taxes and maintenance along with the mortgage, but the way things are now, the market will never be the same. You really can't say owning is better than renting. It's a personal preference. More people are choosing the flexability to rent instead of being locked in to a house you can't sell. Housing rentals have increased twofold. I was glad to hear the bank did the right thing and told her she could move back in and live in the house the rest of her life.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; September-15-11 at 08:05 PM.

The real problem is the mortgage system and the Property Tax System.

Mortgage System
    The fact that she was refinance for $32,000 is highway robbery for a wooden house in Southwest Detroit. Presently, I doubt if the house is worth $5,000. What does the Bank gets for the foreclosure? NOTHING. Which is exactly what they deserve.

Property Tax System
    Why do we have Property Taxes in Michigan? We have high sales tax, income tax, estate tax, and personal property tax. So Why after decades of paying property tax on a land should a homeowner, or landowner continue to pay property tax. After twenty years you be deferred from paying property taxes unless it goes to a new owner.

Quote Originally Posted by HistoryNotHisStory View Post
    The real problem is the mortgage system and the Property Tax System.

Mortgage System
    The fact that she was refinance for $32,000 is highway robbery for a wooden house in Southwest Detroit. Presently, I doubt if the house is worth $5,000. What does the Bank gets for the foreclosure? NOTHING. Which is exactly what they deserve.

Property Tax System
    Why do we have Property Taxes in Michigan? We have high sales tax, income tax, estate tax, and personal property tax. So Why after decades of paying property tax on a land should a homeowner, or landowner continue to pay property tax. After twenty years you be deferred from paying property taxes unless it goes to a new owner.
    Agreed, that's why a lot of people would rather not own a home. I understand the sense of saying "it's yours" after it's paid for, [[ if you actually get to that point) but technically, your never done paying for it. I'm a homeowner and you're always paying for something.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; September-16-11 at 10:05 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2