Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by Woodward's Cousin View Post
    If the folks in GPS wish to join Macomb County, I hope they do and report back to us on how they like it.
    I also think that if the change is made they should also change the name of GPS to "Macomb Shores". Has a classy ring to it, don't you think ?
    I think that "Eastpointe Shores" would be better....

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Well, i think the confusion lies in the misinformation of the original article. [[novine can you post the statute? or link to it?) Apparently its only the people in the CITY who vote. The residents in st clair county part of the city had to vote to leave.

Begs the question though, does the county [[either the one being left or the one the city is joining) have a veto?
    Yesterday, the Free Press restated that it would take county wide votes in both Wayne and Macomb for GPS to switch counties: http://www.freep.com/article/2011091...xt|FRONTPAGE|s

I believe that the wording of the statute implies that a county wide vote is needed:

The question shall not become effective unless it is approved by a majority of the qualified electors voting thereon in each county affected. Notice of the submission shall be given as required by law in the election of county officers and shall be submitted in substantially the following form:

“Shall the boundary of the county of ........... be adjusted to include all of the ....[[city).... of .............?

Yes [[ )

No [[ )”

The result of the vote shall be certified by the secretary of state. If a majority of the electors of each county voting thereon vote in favor of the question, it shall be in full force and effect and the secretary of state shall certify the adjustment.
    I interpret the bolded part to mean that every qualified voter in Wayne County and Macomb County gets to vote on whether the county borders should be altered. Makes sense to me that it should be based on a county wide vote.

I will vote NO NO NO to have Grosse Pointe Shores to join Macomb County. Grosse Pointe Shores belongs to Wayne County forever!

I'm with Danny [[for once).

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Yesterday, the Free Press restated that it would take county wide votes in both Wayne and Macomb for GPS to switch counties: http://www.freep.com/article/2011091...xt|FRONTPAGE|s

I believe that the wording of the statute implies that a county wide vote is needed:

I interpret the bolded part to mean that every qualified voter in Wayne County and Macomb County gets to vote on whether the county borders should be altered. Makes sense to me that it should be based on a county wide vote.
    Yup. I agree. Read the statute after novine posted it. [[thanks for the link) For the life of me I don't see what is so confusing about it. Clearly a two step process. Vote at the city level, then county wide. I mean... why is this even being discussed like there was any vagueness?

How do you get a two-step process? It only talks about one vote. I'm leaning back towards it being a county-wide approval. I don't see anything that states that the city votes and then the counties votes.

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post
    How do you get a two-step process? It only talks about one vote. I'm leaning back towards it being a county-wide approval. I don't see anything that states that the city votes and then the counties votes.
    Step one... threshold question posed to registered electors in the city... If they say yes, it goes to the county wide votes. I suppose not really a "vote" but a petition by the voters. sloppy post on my part i guess. IIRCC, GPS was going to put the Resolution to a city wide vote.
    45.101 Adjustment of county boundaries; resolution or petition; placing question on ballot.
    Sec. 1.

A city situated in 2 or more counties may by resolution of its governing body or petition of 10% of its registered electors or 10,000 registered electors, whichever is the lesser have the question of adjusting the counties' boundaries so the entire city shall be included within 1 county placed on the ballot at the next general election held not earlier than 90 days from the certification of the resolution or receipt of the petition by the clerk of the local governing body.
    Step two, County wide vote [[not earlier than 90 days after the city vote) to allow the move.
    45.102 Effective date of question; notice of submission; form; certifying result of vote and adjustment.
    Sec. 2.

The question shall not become effective unless it is approved by a majority of the qualified electors voting thereon in each county affected. Notice of the submission shall be given as required by law in the election of county officers and shall be submitted in substantially the following form:

“Shall the boundary of the county of ........... be adjusted to include all of the ....[[city).... of .............?

Yes [[ )

No [[ )”

The result of the vote shall be certified by the secretary of state. If a majority of the electors of each county voting thereon vote in favor of the question, it shall be in full force and effect and the secretary of state shall certify the adjustment.
    Last edited by bailey; September-20-11 at 08:05 AM.

Hmmm, well that should make it much more interesting then [[the county-wide vote).

It's better to have all 5 Grosse Pointes to be annexed to make their own city than to have Grosse Pointe Shores leave Wayne County for stupid tax break.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

People of Wayne County, VOTE NO to keep Grosse Pointe Shores away from Macomb County. It's our piece of land historically since the 1790s.

Neda, I miss you so.
    Last edited by Danny; September-20-11 at 08:30 AM.

First of I am lifelong resident having live in the Farms, Woods, and the City. I prefer to be in Wayne and I am Detroit first Macomb County only when I have drag myself there. Also there is a tendency to already lump the Pointes into one group and that is far from reality. Most of my friends who have lived here for most of their lives would not be caught dead living in the Shores or the Woods [[except for a few choice homes) and the Shores and Woods do have more in common with Macomb County than the rest of the pointes.

But then I feel like I am already in Macomb, my new phone book came today its the Macomb directory we have been listed there for over 20 years and have not been list in Wayne county for a similar length of time, When I call to get a Wayne COunty book AT&T will not even send me one. With my business all of local papers are Macomb only everyone who wants me to advertise with them will ONLY deliver to Macomb County even thought I have a huge group of potential customers in Detroit that are closer than of the "targeted" residents in Macomb. I cannot find anyone who has any interest In eastern Wayne County or Downtown. We are already being treated like we are in Macomb and so why is everyone upset we want to leave?

Last I doubt there is anyone on here who would not like to lower their taxes if there is they are full of it. I do not blame anyone who wants to lower a portion of their property taxes!!

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Last I doubt there is anyone on here who would not like to lower their taxes if there is they are full of it. I do not blame anyone who wants to lower a portion of their property taxes!!
    As of now, since I don't feel I'm getting my money's worth, you're right.

I wouldn't mind paying more taxes if my dollars were used efficiently though.

4. Grosse Pointers are OK with paying higher school taxes because they control that money.
    Not under the sweeping new laws passed Governor Snyder/ALEC/Mackinac Center. Not any more - local control is now abolished in Michigan.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5