This seems like a "shit or get off the pot" issue as far as the idea of merging the 5 Pointes. The Shores are the only way of leaving Wayne County... so if they go alone, the others no longer have an option to leave... unless they merge first.

Noggin... actually do very many Grosse Pointe residents use either MCCC or WCCC? I would think that most would go to 4 year universities.

DetroitNerd... you equate secession from Wayne County with somehow leaving Detroit. Detroit will always be right next door to the Grosse Pointes, regardless of which county they're in. However, I do see this as a blow to Wayne County... that's true.

Now granted this would be a coup for Macomb County... since it would give them a nice group of wealthy enclaves incorporated into that county.

But I wonder if part of the issue isn't property values, and the general decline of the far east side. The far eastern part of Detroit adjacent to the Grosse Pointes [[the 48224 zip code) were a steady middle class neighborhood, which in the last 2 years has taken a steady spiral downward... with houses in that area going for as little as $5,000. Back when the area was a "Copper Canyon" neighborhood with lots of Detroit Police and Fire people living there, home values were over $100,000 for some areas of that zip code, and neighborhoods were relatively safe. But all that is changing with most home sales becoming rental property... the area has started to appear seedy and what was once a solid neighborhood of homes with no missing gaps of torn down houses is now starting its' slide to look like "emptier" parts of Detroit that abut Grosse Pointe Park.

Although I wouldn't want them to leave Wayne County... I certainly can understand why they would want to do so...