This might seem like an odd topic to broach but a buddy of mine and I were discussing what are the possibilities of ordinary citizens riding horses in the inner city.

Is there some ordinance against it? I know years back the City had officers on horseback patrolling the streets and I thought it was great for everyone around; better police visibility, great PR, and it did a cool thing for the neighborhood's sense of security. But what about ordinary residents?

In the last few years I've noticed more and more cyclists buzzing about the midtown and downtown streets and I applaud that. It's green, saves fuel, great exercise and a phenomenal way to see the city. But back to our equine friends... is it even possible for someone to have a stable, keep a horse, and just use it for a daily commute? Sure sure, I get the fact that you'd have to tie the horse up once you got to your destination. And there'd still be some logical restrictions such as horse and rider galloping down the Lodge Freeway or the Davison. But why not down Woodward, Gratiot or Grand River??

I know we were heavy into a few beers and had a few laughs about things like who'd clean up the horse poop, horse thieves, license plates, riding at night and some other absolutely ridiculous things about how in so many ways Detroit's like the old west- but realistically, what is the feasibility of common folk having horses and using them in the city?

Thoughts?