Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    Bing, who if anyone has forgotten has been a 20 year Board Member of DTE, and DTE are hooking up no bid contracts in a manner that would make Kwame and Bobby proud.
    Interesting. Recall how one of the few times Bing has called a press conference was to absolve DTE, pre-investigation IIRC, of any responsibility for the fires that swept through the east side. And the abandonment component of Detroit Works would save DTE costs associated with keeping up utility infrastructure...

In my opinion, you are right Kraig. Something really stinks here.

It's safe to say that between 713,000 residents and all of the commuters that come into the City that rely on the traffic lights and street lights to work that PLD is over the million mark.
    From the DPL's website: "With a citywide power distribution system, the Department now serves more than 890 public buildings. The Department's customers are various City departments, the Detroit Board of Education, Wayne State University, Joe Louis Arena, Wayne County Community College District, Cobo Conference/Exhibition Center and other federal, state and county agencies."

So how many residents are serviced by DPL? Can you give me that number? The only number I could find was 1700 commercial addresses, which I generously rounded up to 2000.

As far as maintaining street lights and traffic signals - do you *really* want to go there? I can count the occurrences of stoplight outages I've seen this summer in Macomb and Oakland counties on one hand. It was a nearly weekly event whenever I traveled through Detroit. Detroit is also the only city I've ever seen a signal turn green going both directions. My friend got out of a ticket for running a red on Warren a few years ago with a video of the signal turning green in both directions simultaneously [[he didn't run a red, there was no red to run!)

The other experience I've had with DPL was trying to run some servers on WSU's wonderful power grid. Everything ran great as long as I kept the UPS batteries well maintained. That was the only time in my IT career I've seen UPS batteries melt from overuse.

PLD's problems are well-known. DTE's record isn't spotless, though. I had somebody who attends city council meetings regularly tell me that there are plenty of people in the suburbs upset with DTE's service, judging by the number of people complaining to councils. Service went out plenty of times on the east side of Detroit, where a friend of mine lives. And this summer, I was glad, for instance, to live in Detroit and not Ferndale... No power for three days? And all the streetlights out? Awful.

Maybe PLD just needs a PR department. Hyuck-hyuck.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    From the DPL's website: "With a citywide power distribution system, the Department now serves more than 890 public buildings. The Department's customers are various City departments, the Detroit Board of Education, Wayne State University, Joe Louis Arena, Wayne County Community College District, Cobo Conference/Exhibition Center and other federal, state and county agencies."

So how many residents are serviced by DPL? Can you give me that number? The only number I could find was 1700 commercial addresses, which I generously rounded up to 2000.

As far as maintaining street lights and traffic signals - do you *really* want to go there? I can count the occurrences of stoplight outages I've seen this summer in Macomb and Oakland counties on one hand. It was a nearly weekly event whenever I traveled through Detroit. Detroit is also the only city I've ever seen a signal turn green going both directions. My friend got out of a ticket for running a red on Warren a few years ago with a video of the signal turning green in both directions simultaneously [[he didn't run a red, there was no red to run!)

The other experience I've had with DPL was trying to run some servers on WSU's wonderful power grid. Everything ran great as long as I kept the UPS batteries well maintained. That was the only time in my IT career I've seen UPS batteries melt from overuse.
    Sigh. My friend, if you're going to tell a story, please tell the whole story. Also from their website, directly following your info:

OTHER SERVICES
    The Department also inspects and regulates the use of utility poles in the city.

Public Lighting also maintains the city's traffic signal system. There are approximately 1286 intersections in the system. Wayne County government also operates and maintains 235 Intersection in Detroit.

In addition, PLD maintains the Police and Fire communications network, which includes the extended 911 and automated dispatch systems.

It appears to me that's more than a mere 2,000, as you so generously rounded up, customers. Just saying.

It appears to me that's more than a mere 2,000, as you so generously rounded up, customers. Just saying.
    So how do you know how reliable DPL is? As far as I know they don't measure "customers" affected by traffic signal and streetlight outages. DTE reports their outages from paying customers - if 1,000 customers are without power, that's 1,000 residential and commercial accounts without power.

By your logic, if DPL drops all power to the WSU campus [[which I've seen) that's actually tens of thousands of "customers" without power, though it's only counted as one [[WSU)

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Precisely!
    Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    I'm sure that the system will eventually be privatized. Too much is at stake for the usual suspects to engage in the usual excuses and the usual shenanigans. Our city [[and state, and nation's) infrastructure is dated. Instead of investing in public works, we've decided to be good little laissez-faire, late stage plutocrats. It's almost as if we chose to cannibalize the civilization built by the Greatest Generation, instead of tightening the belts in order to build one of our own to pass down to our children.
    Who are the usual suspects?

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    So how do you know how reliable DPL is? As far as I know they don't measure "customers" affected by traffic signal and streetlight outages. DTE reports their outages from paying customers - if 1,000 customers are without power, that's 1,000 residential and commercial accounts without power.

By your logic, if DPL drops all power to the WSU campus [[which I've seen) that's actually tens of thousands of "customers" without power, though it's only counted as one [[WSU)

That's the thing. DPL's responsibilities extend farther than just one bill/one customer. And while DTE is more than willing to take over the responsibilities of the Commercial Customers. It's not willing to do the same as far as the other responsibilities go. Which is why that at some point the City is going to have to fix and update PLD instead of privatizing it. Not only will DTE not take on that role, but, there's also an entire segment of the state house and senate that's chomping at the bit and waiting to use the privatization of DPL as the business model and precedent to do the same with DWSD.

There's a reason, besides the obvious, why Channel 7 keeps running the same story with 1001 variations on leaking water.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2