Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Incorrect. It's the PD's job to do the interviews, gather evidence, build the case to the point where the prosecutor will even bother to take it to court. Many of them won't take anything other than a rock solid case. They have to be sure they'll get a conviction based on the work of the PD, so, yeah, it's up to the PD to get enough to ensure a conviction.

L&O is a TV show, and not a very factual one at that -- bordering more on an afternoon soap opera . The First 48 will give you a better example of the work involved.
    So basically you are implying that the cops do their job AND the job of the prosecutor's office because the prosecutor won't do a damn thing unless the cops have pretty much done all the work already? Yet you are still complaining about the cops? I'm just not certain where your logic is on this.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    Now I'm interested. As I said. I don't know how the money works in running a police department. I'm all for re-structuring and using efficiency gains to improve operational results. This is an argument I could buy into.

I just needed to see the numbers first
    The numbers are from the Chief when he made his announcement. I repeat. 1000 police officers acting as full time clerks.

Quote Originally Posted by HistoryNotHisStory View Post
    The numbers are from the Chief when he made his announcement. I repeat. 1000 police officers acting as full time clerks.
    Not those numbers. Those I knew. It's these numbers:

This can be initiated by the DPD for a cost of approximately of 4 million dollars over a 4-year period. [[3,000 computer for $1,000 each and $ 1 million dollars in programming).
    That's what's compelling to me.

Putting laptops in the cars is useful, but it isn't a panacea. I work with a police agency that does have laptops in all its vehicles [[they also have boats and snowmobiles and such) and while they are certainly useful to have, they are far from eliminating desk officers, or officers spending time at their local office to do paperwork.

The $4 million cost estimate is optimistic. The only way to do it for a million dollars of programming is to use stock software and adapt your procedures to what the software wants you to do. The problem with that is that different places have different legal requirements, and it is hard to get people to change procedures to match software. In some cases you can't--most police departments that I am familiar with have negotiated compensation systems with bizarre rules. Just automating a police department payroll with all the various allowances and work rules and details is a daunting task. You also have the security and privacy requirements, both for the PCs and for the systems that receive the data, which also increase the costs over what you might expect for a normal business system.

The PCs cost about $1000, maybe a bit less depending upon how you configure them, but you have to install some kind of radio connection and vehicle mounts with power and usually antenna connections so the cost of putting them in the car is higher, along with the cost of actually doing the deployment, and the training of the officers to use the automated system. In my experience, many police officers do not take to computerized systems like ducks to water.

Stephen Henderson had column after the August shooting spree on the use police resources that had detailed consultants report. I actully made thread about it, but it didn't get attention

Moreover, during an average eight-hour patrol shift, cops actually spent
    almost half their time -- 3 1/2 hours per shift -- filing reports, transporting
    criminals or suspects or waiting. Yes, waiting -- for equipment, for
    detectives, or for prisoners to get processed.

And, the consultants say, more than a third of the city's precincts or
    districts needed more officers, while two-thirds have more cops than they need
    based on crime statistics.

http://www.freep.com/article/20110821/COL33/108210446/“

http://www.freep.com/assets/freep/pdf/C4178357819.PDF

ROTF sturge^

Hey, I dont think many folks here on Dyes have come down too hard on our officers. For the most part we all respect them and understand what crap they have to deal with day to day. Ive done some complaining here about some run ins with the boys but I have always tried to understand what they have to deal with on a day to day.

Quote Originally Posted by EL Jimbo View Post
    So basically you are implying that the cops do their job AND the job of the prosecutor's office because the prosecutor won't do a damn thing unless the cops have pretty much done all the work already? Yet you are still complaining about the cops? I'm just not certain where your logic is on this.
    Some people just like to complain.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    Not those numbers. Those I knew. It's these numbers:

That's what's compelling to me.
    The numbers comes from years of experience and implementing a simple system.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2