Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

BrushStrart, I don't know who I feel the worse for: your girlfriend or your liver.

I saw that Your Place Lounge on E. Warren near Cadieux is boarded-up. Was there a fire or something?

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    BrushStrart, I don't know who I feel the worse for: your girlfriend or your liver.
    He can always find a new girlfriend, and if you are a celebrity like David Crosby for instance, a new liver, too.

Hard Luck is now named The Dirty Trick. Same staff though, does that count as one you haven't been to?

Lefty's on Cass across from WSU, is a pretty good place I didn't see on your list. It has a sports bar theme, pretty good food and decent beer selection.

Doesn't look like you hit Third Street Saloon yet, corner of Forest and Third in Midtown

Quote Originally Posted by JROLLA View Post
    Hard Luck is now named The Dirty Trick. Same staff though, does that count as one you haven't been to?
    Is Hard Luck still open in Grosse Pointe?

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Better hurry! Not long after I posted the mention of Skipper's Hamtown Bar, I received an email saying that the bar is for sale.
    Every bar in the planet is 'for sale' every day of the year. Ask any bar owner.

For Hamtramck, be sure to add Baker's Streetcar Bar. Not only the best locals bar in Hamtramck, but comes with a free historical reference to the streetcar that ran down Campau.

Dude, I am obviously in the presence of greatness, but feel that although our paths have roughly paralleled that I am honored to be able to suggest a few places to add to your impressive list.

West Side: Duffy's [[six mile few blocks west of Telegraph)

SW: Kovacs - Jefferson west of Livernois [[if it has not closed)
    Abick's - Gilbert, corner of Dennis [[near Michigan and Livernois)
    Stempien's - Martin south of Michigan Ave.
    Charlie's Bar - Springwells north of I-75 a few blocks [[great rehab in recent years)
    Bridge Cafe - Fort St. at the Rouge River drawbridge

East Side [[ish):

Stonehouse Bar - Ralston south of State Fair, just east of Woodward
    Dakota Inn - John R a few blocks north of McNichols
    Two Way Bar - Mt. Elliott @ Nevada

Keep in mind Kryptonite has a fondness for dive neighborhood bars.

Quote Originally Posted by 313rd View Post
    Is Hard Luck still open in Grosse Pointe?

From what I understand yes, but I've never been to that one. Hard Luck downtown was renting the name from the GP location for its first year being open I guess.

There are a lot of bars on W. Michigan that I drive by but have never been into, such as Cas Bar, Alaskan Bar, Brent's, and several others. They look like they would definitely fall into the "dive" category.

It's not as sexy, but don't forget Hard Rock, although I don't know if it qualifies as a "bar".

In Midtown is Town Pump Tavern - http://www.thetownpumptavern.com

I've been dying to go to the Alaskan. Has anyone been?

Quote Originally Posted by JROLLA View Post
    From what I understand yes, but I've never been to that one. Hard Luck downtown was renting the name from the GP location for its first year being open I guess.
    The Hark Luck downtown is called the Dirty Trick now, I was just there a week ago.

Valuable information from Kryptonite: "...Abick's - Gilbert, corner of Dennis [[near Michigan and Livernois)..."

Kryptonite - I am thinking this is the same place I took some Ann Arbor folk about 20 years ago after wandering aimlessly around the neighborhood for a while. Need to go back to see - I recall a small bar seating about 10 people max with a few tables, perhaps. Thanks for the pleasant reminder. Description is at http://www.detroitpolonia.org/sites/index.htm

Or am I thinking of a different place?

I hate to ask since it appears to be gone, but did you ever make it to Mother's Bar at the corner of Proctor and Panama? You are clearly the Jedi master of the west side dives. I always wanted to go to Mother's when I went to get pastries at the Supreme Bakery across the street years ago but it was always in the morning and seemed somehow not quite right to get a beer at that time of day. And when I returned to the Supreme after a long absence last year and lamented the decline of the surrounding neighborhood [[but not the supremity of the baked goods) I saw that Mother's was not in business anymore. But Chadsey was also not in business, either.
    Last edited by Orthophonic; September-06-11 at 08:33 PM.

Atlas - Hamtramck

Check Detroitblog. They do a lot of profiles on bars that need customers. For example:

http://www.detroitblog.org/?p=2188

Orthophonic, you are right, that is Abick's. It is still open, I go there almost weekly. Manya is still running things at age 87.

I think Mother's is now closed, although there might be a private business still operating there, I can't tell. I was never at Mother's, but recently I was at Supreme Bakery on my way from Eastern Market.

I would recommend the Ivanhoe Cafe, on Jos Campau and Fredrick. They have the best perch dinners and cole slaw to die for.A fun place and home to the polish yacht club.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2