Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by MizMotown View Post
    The last state fair was 2010.

Many things contributed to it, including rotten management. Also, competition for entertainment within a certain radius [[DTE, Chene Park, Fox, Ford Field, etc...) and the high cost the resulted from that. Yes, AE&B was competition for Labor Day weekend as well as a few other events. Labor Day weekend was also the best money maker. No need for discounted tickets. Also, the lack of interest from the State for capitol improvement was making the place more and more dangerous each year. And some fear from attendees to come to Detroit. Now it's a junked out site with a burnt out stove. It'll sell for nothing ;-) Maybe that's the plan.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/08/us/08fair.html

The last one was 2009. I liked all the agricultural and craft stuff at the fair so to me none of the other festivals are a substitute.

No, you're both wrong [[as usual). I'd explain but I already have, I'm not sure either of you can understand anyway. Please go to ABE every year, revel in the event, spend lots of money, knock yourselves out. If you want unquestioned obedience, you should be on a TeaBagger website.

Quote Originally Posted by oldredfordette View Post
    No, you're both wrong [[as usual). I'd explain but I already have, I'm not sure either of you can understand anyway. Please go to ABE every year, revel in the event, spend lots of money, knock yourselves out. If you want unquestioned obedience, you should be on a TeaBagger website.
    The last year of the State Fair was in late August to Labor day in 2009. How can someone be wrong when they are stating a fact. So much negative forum talk. You are a thundercloud on a bright sunny day.

Quote Originally Posted by pkbroch View Post
    The last year of the State Fair was in late August to Labor day in 2009. How can someone be wrong when they are stating a fact. So much negative forum talk. You are a thundercloud on a bright sunny day.
    I think she was responding to some earlier posts, not mine.

Pam is right [[as usual). I feel bad about the State Fair, but for whatever reason, attendance was down to almost nothing. Shame, because farming is in everyone's mind these days, it could be an asset to the new food movement.

And pkbroch, big kisses being blown to you RIGHT NOW! Sunshine! Flowers! MWAH!!!

That's strange, attendance was usually pretty good all the years I went, and all the times every year that I went [[about 3 or 4, boyfriend lives down the street). It went down over the years, but the crickets wern't singing or anything. I really miss going actually.

I think the biggest change, attendence-wise, was how many white families stopped coming. I'm not going to start speculating about this [[another thread maybe), but this was something my family started to notice around 2003.

But as far as AB&Es goes, I'll gladly just come out and say it. I have absolutely no interest in going to any event in royal joke. Or Ferndale, or Troy, or Birmingham for that matter. When It comes down to spending my pennies, I'd rather go someplace that needs the money and won't make me feel out of place financially or socially. Give me Detroit or Pontiac any day. Hell, I'd rather go to a festival in Hazeltucky than in R.J. Just my opinion.

That's strange, attendance was usually pretty good all the years I went, and all the times every year that I went [[about 3 or 4, boyfriend lives down the street). It went down over the years, but the crickets wern't singing or anything. I really miss going actually
    I didn't really notice a change in all the years I went. I think there was enough interest to continue the fair in some form. Maybe they could have downsized it somewhat instead of killing it all together. If Escanaba can get one organized, why can't SE Michigan?

During the last handful of years of the SF they did almost zero TV/radio advertising, obviously the money just wasn't there. There use to always be a buzz about the SF weeks in advance. Less corporate donations and less money to spend on advertising and low attendance figures get even lower.

How did the fairgrounds look in 2009?
    I think the last time I went was around 2005 and it was looking kind of rough and in need of some repairs.

How did the fairgrounds look in 2009?
    I thought they looked ok. Nothing that was obviously falling apart that I could see.
    Last edited by Pam; September-07-11 at 08:45 AM.

Pam,

You are correct. I didn't work the last fair and got my years confused.

Sorry.

We walked up a couple of times and had an amazing time. Front row for the bands [[or behind the bands to check out the drumming), local food [[ate at the Royal Oak Brewery before and got some quality brews there), stopped in Gusoline Alley on the inside for a Carlings too. For my group, it was just an amazing vibe, we were laughing and running around checking out all the bands.
    I guess that everyone has a different point of view, but I think that they will report record numbers this year, despite the nutty weather. It's not too hard to find a place to park for free, but remember that some of the smaller lots were working for charities like Honor Flight of Michigan, The Boys & Girls Club, Royal Oak High School athletics programs and the Royal Oak Optimist Club.
    I am disappointed that it's on the same weekend as Jazzfest. It was just too hard to convince myself to drive downtown on Monday when the ABE was down the street. Maybe next year?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3