Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    ...what's the concept behind a biergarten?
    You sit in the garten and drink some bier.

...do they have Restrooms on site?

Yep, the bushes!

Stromberg2

I had noticed other small businesess are opening in West Village. Had anyone visited the candy store or pet shop that are on the corner of Kercheval and Parker? I remember shopping at the resale shope that used to be on that corner. I would open a bakery on that corner if I had the patience for being a business person

Yesterday was a perfect day for the biergarten.

Any other reports for Tashmoo? Was it well attended [[Looks so from the photos)? How were the prices? Was there securtiy checking IDs?

I'm curious because I think that this could work in a number of places

Went with a friend and it was a smashing success. They got exactly to the point of being full without being out of hand. The People's Pierogi and bratwurst stands were doing good business and really hit the spot. I'm going to try to make it down there again in October.

Beers were $4 [[Grand Circus and a few others) and $6 [[Jolly Pumpkin); foods were $5. Yes, they did check ID at the gate and give you a wristband. I was kind of pleased because earlier in the week I had been asked "one senior?" [[I'm 53), so I got carded and offered senior pricing in the same week.

Attended last weekend when I was on the Living in the V [[Villages) real estate tour. This is a great concept. Why are people complaining about it starting "late" in the year? Biergartens take place typically in Sept and Oct, don't ya know? Plus, our weather is generally good well into Oct. This is also exactly the type of event to encourage more community life in Detroit. And for the 200 or so people who were there when I was, they also seemed to be exactly the types civic leaders have been seeking to repopulate Detroit - younger, creative class types. One problem: there was a Detroit cop in an unmarked car immediarely behind the ticket table, watching entrants and those leaving like a hawk. As if there aren't more pressing possible criminal matters Det police - or whoever this was - could be paying attention to. As well, organizers seemed paranoid about checking IDs and everything else associated with the event. I can only imagine what kind of hoops they had to jump through and red tape to cut from city authorities to get this very upbeat and community-minded event off the ground. What's wrong with authorities in this city?

Great idea Ill be there

DetroitPole Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 467riverfix View Post
    Attended last weekend when I was on the Living in the V [[Villages) real estate tour. This is a great concept. Why are people complaining about it starting "late" in the year? Biergartens take place typically in Sept and Oct, don't ya know? Plus, our weather is generally good well into Oct. This is also exactly the type of event to encourage more community life in Detroit. And for the 200 or so people who were there when I was, they also seemed to be exactly the types civic leaders have been seeking to repopulate Detroit - younger, creative class types. One problem: there was a Detroit cop in an unmarked car immediarely behind the ticket table, watching entrants and those leaving like a hawk. As if there aren't more pressing possible criminal matters Det police - or whoever this was - could be paying attention to. As well, organizers seemed paranoid about checking IDs and everything else associated with the event. I can only imagine what kind of hoops they had to jump through and red tape to cut from city authorities to get this very upbeat and community-minded event off the ground. What's wrong with authorities in this city?
    I don't know. I really don't. Meanwhile I recently found an open air drugs and craps market in broad daylight on a residential street and they bounced me around to different phone numbers and acted like I was a liar and a racist. Send the guy from the biergarten next time, okay DPD? So much for us residents being the "eyes and ears" of Detroit, Mayor Bing. It seems like that is as far as that social contract goes.

Quote Originally Posted by 467riverfix View Post
    Ok... so on one thread there are pages of complaining and commenting about how LAX used and abused the temporary 501C[[c)[[3) liquor license and on this thread there is bitching about DPD actually checking to see what is going on with the temporary license on the first day of this operation and mere days after they cracked down on LAX.

Ohhh I get it, this one is run by the right kind of people so therefore above scrutiny or monitoring and the DPD should know their place.

If they task officers to stand there EVERY weekend. Ok, I'll get on board with the complaining , but c'mon--- they are monitoring something that people were just complaining about , namely the abuse of temporary liquor licenses. how about a little acknowledgement that they responded to citizen complaints?

Thanks Tex, I love this idea and am really happy that it went over well.

As for the onsite DPD, I'm GLAD there was oversight and, although I'm hoping it was unnecessary, a deterrent to trouble.

Wouldn't this be an awesome concept for a portion of campus martius during sept and oct?

Yep, I'd love to see them in different parts of the city.

And, to answer an earlier question, there were port-a-johns on site.

Historically, Biergartens have long rows of communal tables [[you sit with strangers), they have women in Diernl's [[Bavarian folk dress)... serving beer to customers in large glass mugs, and there's usually a brass band. Food: large pretzels, bratwursts [[with sharp mustard) on a bun, German potato salad.
    Last edited by Gistok; September-30-11 at 12:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Ok... so on one thread there are pages of complaining and commenting about how LAX used and abused the temporary 501C[[c)[[3) liquor license and on this thread there is bitching about DPD actually checking to see what is going on with the temporary license on the first day of this operation and mere days after they cracked down on LAX.

Ohhh I get it, this one is run by the right kind of people so therefore above scrutiny or monitoring and the DPD should know their place.

If they task officers to stand there EVERY weekend. Ok, I'll get on board with the complaining , but c'mon--- they are monitoring something that people were just complaining about , namely the abuse of temporary liquor licenses. how about a little acknowledgement that they responded to citizen complaints?
    Right on! Good to hear. Also, I look forward to trying this place out.

The Wayne County Sheriff was there in the unmarked car, not the DPD. Because it's an outdoor fundraiser, I think they needed to be there to make sure ID's are being checked and whatnot? Not sure how this is being funded, but I'm not complaining about it. I know my 60something year old friend could not get in because he did not have his ID [[we walked over). All in all I think it's good for West Village. Over 1,000 people came the first week and I'm not sure how many came this week, but it was a lot of people.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Right. That part of the thread's comments amused me, too.

Went to Tashmoo this evening. Had a great time... nice crowd, good music, bean bag toss, and of course, good beer. The weather was perfect. Here's to looking forward to next Sunday.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2