Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

I don't know all the costs/benefits, but if GM would be moving employees from Detroit to Warren or vice-versa, the latter intuitively seems preferable. Center your employees in Downtown where you're already in a good location.

Warren could "win" as well, since that would be a whole square mile available for in-fill housing development [[hopefully, done right, the stuff west of Mound between 12 and 13 Miles I don't find attractive).

Off-topic, but since the Campbell-Ewald Building was mentioned, it's simply bizarre that an advertising agency ....... where you want to attract top-notch creative types ....... is in one of the drabbest buildings on Planet Earth.

MIRepublic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MrNittany View Post
    Warren could "win" as well, since that would be a whole square mile available for in-fill housing development [[hopefully, done right, the stuff west of Mound between 12 and 13 Miles I don't find attractive).
    That makes no sense. Warren's population has been declining for decades [[though, it's starting to level off as is much of the inner-ring) and you need jobs to justify building mounds of new housing. They aren't even building housing by the subdivision in Canton, anymore, let alone Warren.

No, Warren is lucky that GM hasn't went under, yet, and that's about all Warren has, these days. Of all of the cities in the Metro, Warren is about as close as you're going to get to becoming the next Detroit, but without the history and status. A swift wind, and it's over, and I think Fouts knows that better than anyone else.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MIRepublic View Post
    That makes no sense. Warren's population has been declining for decades [[though, it's starting to level off as is much of the inner-ring) and you need jobs to justify building mounds of new housing. They aren't even building housing by the subdivision in Canton, anymore, let alone Warren.

No, Warren is lucky that GM hasn't went under, yet, and that's about all Warren has, these days. Of all of the cities in the Metro, Warren is about as close as you're going to get to becoming the next Detroit, but without the history and status. A swift wind, and it's over, and I think Fouts knows that better than anyone else.
    Seems as though if he did "know that better than anyone else," he'd be trying to end the animosity between Warren and Detroit, not exacerbate it. Maybe he understands the situation he's in, but he doesn't seem to understand the reasons he's in that situation or how to get out of it.

MIRepublic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    Seems as though if he did "know that better than anyone else," he'd be trying to end the animosity between Warren and Detroit, not exacerbate it. Maybe he understands the situation he's in, but he doesn't seem to understand the reasons he's in that situation or how to get out of it.
    I don't think that's it. I think everyone gets the situation and understands the reason that the region is in the situation it's in. Everyone's fighting for a shrinking pie of the pie, and aren't willing to publically admit that an all-in rejuvination of the city of Detroit is the only thing that's even going to give the region even a shot at rising, again. At this moment, if anything, the region should realize that the only hope left is to bring its resources [[human, infrastructure, etc) back towards the center of the region, not spreading the area thinner than it's already spread. Even Patterson said at Mackinac, the other day, that he wishes more municipalities would consider consolidation but that it's not going to happen.