Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

crawford Guest

What a bunch of hypocrites. Warren wanting GM is "bad", but Detroit wanting Quicken is "good."

Why exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by crawford View Post
    What a bunch of hypocrites. Warren wanting GM is "bad", but Detroit wanting Quicken is "good."

Why exactly?
    Detroit should be greedy and want it all. However, Detroit is restricted to 139 square miles. This is usually what causes growth in metro areas, because there just simply isn't the room within the core city to contain all the growth. In this area though, the growth of the region, or sprawl, is because everyone is trying to get away from Detroit. A healthy core usually results in a healthy outer region. A healthy outer region doesn't guarantee a healthy core.

croweblack Guest

Why exactly?
    spot on!!!

I also love how some people actually believe companies want to go downtown with the crime, high taxes, horrible schools and corrupt city government.

If I was a ren cen gm worker I would be ecstatic about the move-NO MORE CITY OF DETROIT INCOME TAX!!!

Quote Originally Posted by croweblack View Post
    spot on!!!

I also love how some people actually believe companies want to go downtown with the crime, high taxes, horrible schools and corrupt city government.

If I was a ren cen gm worker I would be ecstatic about the move-NO MORE CITY OF DETROIT INCOME TAX!!!
    I guess it's mandated that a downtown have crime, high taxes, horrible schools and corrupt city government. Silly me, I thought a downtown could be created without those things. Minus those things you still think NO COMPANY would want to locate in the central city? See the post I left for Sstashmoo that he has yet to respond to.

P.S.: For those who are dense, there are lots of companies that the only reason they locate out of the city is the taxes and red tape. If Detroit became competitive then they would tackle that issue. This suggests to me that companies DO want to locate in the central city. It's just the leadership doesn't remove the roadblocks that make it difficult for companies to do so.
    Last edited by Crumbled_pavement; May-30-09 at 12:54 PM.

Off-topic, but since the Campbell-Ewald Building was mentioned, it's simply bizarre that an advertising agency ....... where you want to attract top-notch creative types ....... is in one of the drabbest buildings on Planet Earth.

-A LOT of ad agencies are located on drab boring suburban offices. No offense, but ther architecture is NOT going to bring out the creativity in your workforce

Of all of the cities in the Metro, Warren is about as close as you're going to get to becoming the next Detroit, but without the history and status

-Much of Warren’s problems are due to its close proximity to Detroit along with an aging population.

-There ya go. Bout time someone finally mentioned that.

Why exactly?
    Detroit has suffered so much in the past 30+ years. A stronger Detroit means a stronger region!

also Its not like Livonia will go bankrupt without Quicken.