Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Threaded View

Default "The Best Coffee I've Ever Had" is an understatement...Astro in the Spotlight

I know there is a thread on Astro Coffee already, but that one is polluted by so much cacophony...and after my experience this morning, I believe they deserve a fresh look taken in proper perspective.

First of all, this ain't no coffeehouse. That is too tiny a word, tainted by expectations ranging from old linoleum-countered and chromed donut shops to funky hippie hangouts where spontaneous bouts of poetry and/or music may erupt at any time. All have their function, with some answering the increasingly demanding [[yet simultaneously demeaning) needs of our fast-paced Type-A personality corporate capitalist society. It can no longer be called civilization, since rarely are our chance encounters even basically civil.

This morning, somehow I was Astro Coffee's first customer...so the hustle-bustle I was so overwhelmed with during lunch a few weeks ago [[thanks again, Frankie the K!) hadn't yet arrived. I was able to wander about, watching the prep work at the beginning of business for them...and take my time perusing the menu and sampling the personalities of the folks behind the counter.

After looking at the 4 choices of the day of various beans from around the world...reading their characters and tendencies and flavor subtleties...I chose one, ordered it, then noticed it was the most expensive of them all. Somehow, left to my instincts, I always find the most expensive thing in any restaurant or retailer. It was the single most expensive cup o' joe I'd ever requested. Expectations went beyond my previous limits...I even told one of the owners that he was stretching my envelope a bit, even though I previously considered myself somewhat aware of the range of good to bad coffees.

I had to wait, because they only slow-'brew' or more accurately perhaps steep the perfectly ground beans in a device that I had previously thought was merely a solo-cup camping accessory...the v-shaped elongated-cone filter holder that sits atop each cup. I had to wait. Did I mention, there is waiting involved?!

Well...it is very much worth it. I took mine to go, along with a slice of chocolate/cherry heaven-in-cake, all the way down to Belle Isle for a short visit to ItsJeff's bench...now slightly overgrown, but shaded by the felled tree that we haven't taken care of yet.

Took nearly four sips before I even noticed I hadn't put my standard teaspoon of honey in as sweetener. The experience was purely delectable...the flavor danced and partied with my tastebuds, and even high-fived some glands in my neck on the way down. I've never had anything like this, and I may be forever tainted against American-style coffee.

I thought I made a decent cup of espresso...and always considered that the epitome of the delights of the bean...until viewing the documentary Black Coffee, which I highly recommend to anyone interested in learning more about this substance that fuels so much of our mornings [[and for some, the rest of their workday, too).

It was during the history lessons woven throughout that extraordinary story where I learned that espresso only came about because one impatient fellow needed to get out and on with his day...and couldn't 'waste' ten minutes waiting for his kickstart. But the true brew has always been a process unhindered by time restraints. The goodness of the coffee bean comes out more with proper handling and processing.

Espresso is the shortcut, with many of the benefits, but not all of the refinements.

So, back to my morning glory story...every sip of this nectar brought forth so many superlatives as to overload even the most enthusiastic wordsmith. The contrast with the rich but crumbly chocolate heaven-cake was simply the perfect counterpoint. With the sun beginning to reflect off the riverwater, and the peace and quiet of the east end of Belle Isle just after sunrise, I noticed rather abruptly that I was bathed in bliss...not unlike the Savasana at the end of another of Micha's wonderful Yin Yoga sessions in my old loftspace...now the FlyHouse.

Can I buy this coffee every morning? Unfortunately not. My budget does not allow for $10 breakfasts daily. Will I seek out Astro Coffee and support them every chance I get to treat myself or my partner? Absolutely and without reservation. I am not even sure I want to become used to such delights...this is gourmet java...and like fine wines [[mad props to Dave and Melissa at Motor City Wine, who also have helped me stretch my hedonistic tendencies) and great tobacco and dinners in restaurants with no-price menus...I want this to remain special, precious.

But there are those who wish to seek out the best of things...and Astro Coffee is solidly ensconced on that pedestal for me now. If you want to enhance the civility of your life...and support some passionate, honest, and good people along the way...then give Astro a try. Don't rush it...there is great pleasure in taking the slow route. I am basking in this experience still, two hours later. Never, ever has a cup of coffee ever done that to me before. Satiated...completely.

Cheers,
    John
    Last edited by Gannon; August-26-11 at 11:01 AM.