Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Yeah, well there was the homeowner who chased a burglar down the block and shot him a few months back. Seems there was a big thread here on it with a lot of conflicting opinions.

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...hero-or-killer
    Last edited by Meddle; August-25-11 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by micky View Post
    Vigilantly justice is just not acceptable, a lot of men/women have died defending your right to a fair trial in this country and to deny another of those rights for whatever reason, makes their sacrifice for your right's in vain.
    I agree with a lot of what you have to say here. The problem is that calling the police in Detroit is like calling Dell Tech Support and telling them someone stole your iPhone. No cop would have ever showed up. Too many crimes happen in the city and the response from DPD is "oh well, tough, call your insurance agent!" This does not justify the woman's action at all, I just wonder could this event even play out in Canton or Bloomfield Hills or Brighton. Some places you can expect a cop to show up and do the job of police and protect hard working citizens. Hell, in many communities a police officer might have already been there just making rounds. In Detroit you can't expect timely response from police and in some cases you can't expect a response at all, that's why some unfortunately and wrongfully resort to vigilantism.

lilpup Guest

I think you're over exaggerating Detroit's police problems relative to other cities. Detroit is not by any stretch of the imagination the only place lacking policing. The major difference between Detroit and other communities is the nature of the community activism and behavior. The community can do infinitely more to prevent crime that a police department can. By and large police departments aren't preventative forces - no place has police on every corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevgoblue View Post
    On a personal level I think the kid got what he had coming for stealing the lady's phone.

But on a LEGAL level, doesn't your right to claim self defense end when the other person is actively fleeing the scene?
    NOt if she's making a citizens arrest.

Quote Originally Posted by micky View Post
    ... for the most part it is our responsibility to act as rational adults in a bad situation, not stoop to their level.

Vigilantly justice is just not acceptable, a lot of men/women have died defending your right to a fair trial in this country and to deny another of those rights for whatever reason, makes their sacrifice for your right's in vain.
    So the people who stopped the crazyman who murdered innocents and shot Congresswoman Gifford acted inappropriately. I don't think so. THey are heroes who made a citizens arrest.

lilpup Guest

A citizens arrest IS NOT a self defense situation, nor is it vigilante justice.

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    A citizens arrest IS NOT a self defense situation, nor is it vigilante justice.
    At times, a citizens arrest is the result of a self dense situation.

For example, An armed robber attacks a victim. The victim in self-defense shoots the armed robber. The armed robber is not dead. A citizens arrest is made and the police arrive to give the robber his Miranda rights.

This happens in America all the time. Self Defense leads to a citizen arrest.

The girl with the cell phone was trying to follow said robber. Accidently runs him over. The police is called. Citizens Arrest.

And if she feared for her life: Self Defense.

I've done something similar, and I'm not sorry I did either. But I sure won't ever talk any specifics about it with anyone who wasn't there that night.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3