Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Vic_doucette View Post
    , nobody has ever been able to make money with left-wing talk except in a small way in a very liberal community. Nationally, the left-wing-talk format has bombed. If someone can ever figure out how to do it profitably on a bigger scale, you'll start hearing more of it.
    Maybe that is because cons need to hear the same talking points over and over so they can repeat them. Remember, this is the crowd known as the ditto head nation because they are taught not to think for themselves, just repeat what has been indoctrinated into your head.

Same thing on the left which has most of the other media by default. 'Talking points' are not exclusive to the repubs. To be wise is to discern the rhetoric both sides are putting forth from their respective media portals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    Maybe that is because cons need to hear the same talking points over and over so they can repeat them. Remember, this is the crowd known as the ditto head nation because they are taught not to think for themselves, just repeat what has been indoctrinated into your head.

Albom is anything but non partisan to a conservative ear, I suspect.

Steve bennet Guest

Are the people they have on this station real conservatives, or the kind that preach small government and more liberty.....except when it comes to an issue they don't agree with?

Personally I t hink conservative talk shows are nothing but hate mongering. They are all negative and nothing positive. Rather than give positive messages about what needs to be done, they would rather attack the anyone who has an opposite opinion. Not to mention they are the the party of NO, its my way or no way. Conservatives stick to their sometimes silly beliefs rather than find a common ground to solve problems of our times. The recent debt ceiling talks is all I need to point to that fact. This is my opinion......you may or may not agree, but that is your right.

Quote Originally Posted by Alley_Cat View Post
    To be exact, it's 1310.
    Oh yeah, derrr...I was probably thinking "1400" when I wrote that...

I might stick with WWJ Newsradio 950 I hope they have liberal bias.

I wonder if WXYT can dig up a Mark Scott clone so we can hear a couple of hours worth of claptrap about Ayn Rand, 'Critique of Pure Reason', colloidal silver, and David Icke's shapeshifting reptilian aliens.

He filled the afternoon slot on 1270 until at least the mid '90s.

will they be hiring any new people to help behind the scenes?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    will they be hiring any new people to help behind the scenes?
    I got an e-mail today from a friend telling me about openings there, none of which appeal to me. There are about 10 of them: part-time board operator, part-time talent, part-time phone screener, assistant program director, part-time show host, part-time traffic assistant [[this is not a traffic reporter job, BTW), board operator, part-time producer, producer, AM show producer.

No phone calls. Apply online at www.cbsradio.com.

Quote Originally Posted by RO_Resident View Post
    I wonder if WXYT can dig up a Mark Scott clone so we can hear a couple of hours worth of claptrap about Ayn Rand, 'Critique of Pure Reason', colloidal silver, and David Icke's shapeshifting reptilian aliens.
    I kind of enjoyed David Icke's far-out theory's and found them pretty entertaining. At least we still have Coast To Coast every night.

Another likely reason for the switch: We're about to enter the heavy political season. Likely to get more ears and different ears for a political talk station rather than just use it to simulcast another station's sports content.

For that matter, if a radio station manager thought he could improve ratings by broadcasting an endless loop of geese farting on a foggy day, that's what you'd hear on the station. It isn't the format, it's the profit.
    That idea sounds crazy....just so crazy it might work?

Both replies were pretty good.

Originally Posted by Vic_doucette
    For that matter, if a radio station manager thought he could improve ratings by broadcasting an endless loop of geese farting on a foggy day, that's what you'd hear on the station. It isn't the format, it's the profit.

That idea sounds crazy....just so crazy it might work?
    Attachment 10503

So far, I prefer this to the drivel that passes for conservative punditry.

Quote Originally Posted by BShea View Post
    Another likely reason for the switch: We're about to enter the heavy political season. Likely to get more ears and different ears for a political talk station rather than just use it to simulcast another station's sports content.
    Mainly true, my friend, but know this: Radio stations sell time off of what is called a rate card. It lists, oddly enough, the rates for advertising on the station. The more time you buy, the less each commercial costs. But politicians, by law, during the 45 days prior to a primary and the 60 days prior to a general election, are entitled to the lowest unit charge for the class and amount of time they wish to purchase. You get a fair amount of business, but it's often a lot of work for a little return.

I enjoys listening to Michael Savage's "hate mongering", glenn beck uh not at all.

Mainly true, my friend, but know this: Radio stations sell time off of what is called a rate card. It lists, oddly enough, the rates for advertising on the station. The more time you buy, the less each commercial costs. But politicians, by law, during the 45 days prior to a primary and the 60 days prior to a general election, are entitled to the lowest unit charge for the class and amount of time they wish to purchase. You get a fair amount of business, but it's often a lot of work for a little return.
    Does that apply only to candidates, or all political advertising -- including PACs, issues groups, etc.?

WXYT is just returning to its recent history - Before the sports, they were home to Imus, Tommy McIntyre, Marc Scott, David Newman, and of course Rush, who moved to WJR when WXYT reformatted. Based on what I've heard of him over the years, I think the Charlie Langdon show will be cool; he used to have a local radio show on legal topics that was informative and fun to listen to, can't remember the station....

Quote Originally Posted by Hardhat View Post
    ... Does progressive talk not have anything to say that's appealing to listeners? Personally, I hope they crash and burn, but I guess XYT figures there's an audience for this....
    The left has failed to articulate a vision -- and pandering to union issues. If they'd start really supporting people -- and now just union club members -- they could really take the country by storm.

Hard to have a talk-radio show without a strong moral compass.

It also seems to me that the right-leaning shows are mostly more small-government, John Galt, libertarian than they are big-business conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by RO_Resident View Post

He filled the afternoon slot on 1270 until at least the mid '90s.
    mark scott was the best

remember fondly keeping my ammo dry during the branch dividian standoff
    and his commentary on the budsyn and nevers case
    brass roots in lansing
    black helicopters
    jon coon for senate 1994

your problem is that you don't know and you don't know you don't know......

Vic....
    .....don't know why I didn't think of that. The Goose Fart format probably would have drawn better numbers than Stardust did on my AM.

your problem is that you don't know and you don't know you don't know......
    There are known "knowns." There are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.
    Donald Rumsfeld - 2002

Ditto, Ditto, Ditto, Ditto, we hear ya, Blaaaahhhhttt.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    Donald Rumsfeld - 2002

Ditto, Ditto, Ditto, Ditto, we hear ya, Blaaaahhhhttt.
    excelsior!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BShea View Post
    Does that apply only to candidates, or all political advertising -- including PACs, issues groups, etc.?
    IIRC, it doesn't apply to spots bought by third-party committees not "authorized" by a particular candidate or to "issue-oriented" spots or to Internet advertising. See more information here:

http://www.bcfm.com/docs/MFM%202010%...20Handbook.pdf

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2