Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Thread: GAR Building

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    Isn't the problem that the owners of the GAR refuse to let it be used for anything, but don't actually have money to do anything with it themselves?
    Wait... doesn't Illitch own it?

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Wait... doesn't Illitch own it?
    thats what i recall as well. from wikipedia, thought i can't find original article

The Detroit Free Press reported on April 7, 2007 that the GAR Building had been sold to Olympia Development, an arm of Ilitch Holdings, Inc.. The Ilitch family also owns the Detroit Red Wings and the Detroit Tigers, as well as the United Artists Theatre Building.
    The Free Press stated that the sale price was $220,500. Olympia Development expected to renovate the building at a cost of $2 million, and use it for its staff, though the purchase of the GAR by the Ilitch family was later rescinded. The property was then sold to Mindfield USA, a Detroit-based media company who plan to renovate the building for use as their headquarters.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    thats what i recall as well. from wikipedia, thought i can't find original article

The Detroit Free Press reported on April 7, 2007 that the GAR Building had been sold to Olympia Development, an arm of Ilitch Holdings, Inc.. The Ilitch family also owns the Detroit Red Wings and the Detroit Tigers, as well as the United Artists Theatre Building.
    The Free Press stated that the sale price was $220,500. Olympia Development expected to renovate the building at a cost of $2 million, and use it for its staff, though the purchase of the GAR by the Ilitch family was later rescinded. The property was then sold to Mindfield USA, a Detroit-based media company who plan to renovate the building for use as their headquarters.
    I guess its official: http://www.freep.com/comments/articl...given-new-life

WooHoo!!!!

and i never woohoo