Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Why are there so many canadians that go to Red Wings games?
    Cause its hockey?

Really, I think its mostly Windsorites, and the Wings are the closest thing we have to a home team. I think there are far more Wings fans here then Leafs fans.

.....and, because its hockey.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    One thing I've noticed whenever I see pictures posted of ball games at Tigers stadium; the small number of african-american fans in the stands. I never asked, but wondered at the lopsided demographics in attendance, what is the deal?
    I don't have an answer for that, I can tell you that's the way it been for the last 40 years that I know of.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    Perhaps the best part of the bleachers were the warm, sunny days when the ladies would have a bit too much beer and suddenly a "show" would begin. :-) And there never seemed to be any ushers up there.
    Smoked a few bad ones up there back in the day too.

DetroitPole Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Wish I had kept my $3.50 stubs. Dr. Jeff, I must respectfully disagree with you. The Tigers organization, under M.I., has turned into a vertically integrated money-making machine, less like an old stadium and more like an airport. You cannot discount the factors other than ticket prices.

Frankly, the bleachers were way more fun. I am honored to be a former "Bleacher Creature."
    $3.50 is only slightly more than what Ticketmaster charges you for the privilege of printing the ticket you bought online on your own printer.

Then you can buy a beer that retails for $1.50 at the local packy for $7.50. That's 500% markup. I know Labatt Blue is a fine imported beer, but at those prices Illitch must be getting it from Yellowknife.

And lord, what would a sports stadium be without a ferris wheel?

Who is the first pitch sponsored by these days, Sam Bernstein? I know that clown sponsors something. Hit a home run with your next frivolous lawsuit.

It is a racket. The radio announcers are good and I can get a beer buzz for $3.00 out the door in the comfort of my own home.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagley View Post
    As a black person who lives within walking distance of the stadium, I meet up with lots of friends [[of many races) who have tickets to the game beforehand for drinks, lunch or a cigar. Sometimes, when all is said and done, they'd rather finish our conversation than actually attend the game. Usually these are folks I played organized baseball with and the conclusion that we've come to is that baseball is great to play but a chore to watch. Also, there are usually a ton of tickets floating around in the circles I'm in so price isn't a big issue.

The last time I really made a serious effort to go was when a client invited me to his season seats so close to the third base you could hear the discussions on the field.
    Yeah, Baseball was always more eventful when played than watched, that's for sure. There is something about watching guys spit and scratch their balls between catching and pitching that sort of sucks the air around. It just isnt fast enough for me. But there is an elegance to it that lends itself to summer evenings and a cold beer in hand. [[Make that three)

Steve bennet Guest

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post

Let's not kid ourselves, I'm not saying it looked like Times Square in Manhattan. It looked like a C+/B- downtown. Which is better than the D-/F that it looked like years ago.
    Years ago? Aside from some ballgames or events, it's a D-/F at any given time. I actually liked downtown more years ago, it had more character.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2